Suggestion for 360 oil type | FerrariChat

Suggestion for 360 oil type

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by paulie_b, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I have only seen "old" posts regarding this subject. Any suggestions for an "updated" suggestion for brand of synthetic oil and viscosity?

2. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    no suggestions or help here?

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #3 Motob, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Ferrari recommends Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. Is it the only oil that dealerships use and many independents as well. It is what I put in all of my customers cars.
    Considering that it is easy to get (Walmart, Amazon, Pep Boys, Advance, etc.), I think that it is a no brainer.

f355spider likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh dont kill too many brain cells here. For my cars in the northeast i use 0w-40. in florida i do the same or i use 5w-40 if i can find it. i used to use redline and amsoil but for the past 10 years ive been asking for Mobil 1 fully synthetic if im at an independent shop

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My last service the dealer noted Q Horsepower Synthetic 5W40 on the invoice. Quaker State but I don't see any branding on the labels that says "Horsepower" on the weights I can find for sale on the internet. The last self oil change I did I used the Pennzoil Platinum Euro one referenced above and had it shipped to my door from Amazon. It had the Ferrari Approved markings on the box and I don't see that on the ones for sale via the usual channels. It's easy to be confused about this stuff when you want it to be simple. The constant changes in packaging and marketing make you wonder if they changed something else besides the name.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    5w40 Liqui Moly is what I use. Full european blend and spec. Pricey, but it is one one the better rated engine oils on the market.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Any good full synthetic 5W-40 works fine so it is not rocket science. I use Valvoline, but any of the others mentioned will work great, too.

8. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    Mobil 1 0w-40 is another good oil and not hard to find.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I shld clarify my previous response. Both my independent ferrari shops use motul. When i take my non ferraris to the local shop i ask for mobil1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Simplest to use the factory stuff, that is what I do. I am not a oil expert, but do notice that the Pennzoil is spec'd by Ferrari is also LL-01 approved by BMW. That has many tough requirements to meet, so I would want any 5w-40 or 0w-40 oil to have a similar approval rating, which includes a high temp high shear (HTHS) rating of 3.5 or higher (required to meet LL-01). Not all oils have this high an HTHS...worth checking the spec sheets. Castrol Edge makes a 0w-40 that is LL-01 approved and bonus you can find it in 5 quart jugs at WalMart for around $25.

11. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Penzoil platinum eurospec is easily available on Amazon. I got my 2 cases delivered to my doorstep this summer. Also, our lead mechanic from the old country up here at FoNE has advised against 0w40 in the old F119 engine in the 348. I had a little weeping at the cam seals on my second year when I used 0w40. He said the oil pumps were very strong and you don't need to worry about a 0 weight even in winter. Now the Cinquevalvole and later engines are different, especially with the vvt tech so sticking to the 5w weight is a better idea than a 10w. Even still, you are probably OK with a 0w40, just keep an eye on your cam seals. But on the 430, with the timing chain, it's not as big a deal. I was pleased how easily I got the Penzoil. Last year I put Rotella 5w40 in my 360 because that's all I could find locally. No sweat this year and that goes for the 0w40 for my Quadrifoglio as well. 0w is required on the new engine with the vvt and cylinder kill lifters. Even still they have a little noisey lash at low rpm low pressure.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Penzoil 5-40, that Ferrari specs is easy to get. Works for me!

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is the HTHS spec you are looking for in a 5W-40 oil.
    You want HTHS above 3.5
    And you want zinc at the 1100 ppm level. ZDDP.

You are not going to find either on the can, you have to do your research on the internet.

f355spider likes this.
  14. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Rotella T6 5-40