Super Sebring Returning in 2020 | FerrariChat

Super Sebring Returning in 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, May 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Good news for Sebring. It would be even nicer if they would run them together but this is the best Scott Atherton could negotiate I am sure.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nah, I don't think running WEC and IMSA together at the same time could work. They run
    to different rules packages in prototypes and GT cars and there'd be no way to equalize the
    field in such a case.

However, it's good news. We'll be going next year with RV through the week.

BHW

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They have done it before over the years. The first time at Sebring was 1965. It is possible, but the Europeans I think prefer not to. They even ran GT1 cars at Lemans in the 1990's together with the Lemans rule cars.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Two completely separate championships run to different rules and procedures.

Imagine, an IMSA GTD car takes out one of the lead Toyotas (for example) throwing the WEC
    championship into chaos. Too may different scenarios such as this that they've got to think
    over before they'd come close for anything like this to happen.

They're keeping the same format which is good. Remembering to when this was first announced,
    they were going to start the WEC race Sunday 12:00AM after the end of the 12 Hours and then
    changed the format 3-4 times before deciding on running the WEC on the Friday.

BHW