Super sport vs PS4S | FerrariChat

Super sport vs PS4S

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I ordered new tyres to replace my 8 year Pirelli that are hard as a rock despite having 80% of thread left
    I found 2 pairs of SS in K2 spec front and back rather than going for the PS4S, the SS k2 are precisely the ones advised by Michelin on their tire configurator
    Everyone says the SS does wonders on the 612 so I am more keen to rely on user experiences than testing the new ones.
    Michelin says that the PS4S is an improvement over the SS but i have not found them in K spec
    I can still change my order... tell me what you think ?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You need the tires now, so get the MPSS. When you have worn out the MPSS, you will have the PS4S (or whatever they are calling it) which to look forward.

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I replaced the P Zeros on my 612 with MPSS. They were a significant improvement. I recently replaced my MPSS on the rears of my Mercedes with PS4S. Honestly I didn’t notice that much of a difference. I probably have to wait until the fronts wear out to replace them and get the full effect.

However on paper the PS4S appear to be better. So when my MPSS wear out on the 612 I will also upgrade those. But it probably won’t be as significant as moving from the P Zeros.

4. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Thanks to all for the feedback, I will keep you updated on the driving feeling when I get the car back next week
    I have asked the F dealer to also do a full geometry on the car

5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good feedback Ron. I have found that some cars you can feel the difference more than others. I replaced the MPS2 with MPSS on my BMW Z8 and I didn't feel nearly the big difference as on the 599. One thing to note, I would recommend against mixing different tires, even if they are from the same brand. Ideally you want to have 4 very similar contact patches.

6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Totally agree about not mixing tires however I am cheap and I will drive the Mercedes with caution (and I already experimented with some high g turns under controlled conditions to make sure I understood the handling dynamics). Unfortunately simultaneously switching types of tires on all four corners is one of the downsides of having stagger blocks.

I note your comment about switching your MPS2 with MPSS. I did that too earlier with my Mercedes. I have actually been driving the various iterations of Pilot tires for probably about 15 years. I think the most pronounced change in the series was when I went from the MPS2 to the MPSS. Far superior tire in terms of grip, noise and mileage.

I also agree that each tire will feel different on different cars (I certainly noticed that when I had the MPSS on my 612 and Mercedes at the same time) but I suspect the PS4S is a modest tweak over the MPSS while I found the MPSS to be a sea change over the MPS2. Over course even if the change is small you still want to go with the best.

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I guess we will see as more comes in. Michelin says the PS4S is nearly at Cup 2 levels of performance but with better wet handling. Very very unscientific but a new set of PS4S was at a shop I visit along side a new set of MPSS and the PS4S simply felt much stickier to the touch. My gut feeling says the move will be akin to the MPS2->MPSS. Tires are so good now, its amazing. I have been driving on these tires since the early 90s. I think back then they were under the MX name? I can't remember now...

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is helpful, as I need to do tires on my 612 this year.

9. ZDF_Fan

ZDF_Fan Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Kuwait
    I'm also looking at new tires but it seems they don't make the PS4S for the rear 285/40ZR19 size. The 245/40ZR19 front are available but seems US only at this time.
    I probably won't wait and just go with the PSS.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    My 2 cents. I just had Continental extreme contacts installed and hands down a better ride with incredible grip. Not an inexpensive option, but an excellent tire.

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Both the front and rears of the MPSS are available in the US. You can go to the michelinman.com web site and check availability.

I just bought 285/35ZR19 MPSS for my Mercedes from Costco. It took just 2 days to get them and cost $300 each. They were the same price as the MPS2.

12. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    PS4S is a great tire -- can't wait to put on my 612. Put a set on my R F type (car can be a handful in the wet rwd) and the results have been impressive. Cannot recommend enough, hope they wear well.

13. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Sorry guys, all these numbers have me confused. I meant to say the PS4S is readily available in the US in the 285 and 245 ZR/19 tire size. It was a PS4S that i bought from Costco for $300 that was the same price as the MPSS.

Unfortunately i mentioned the MPS2 which was the predecessor to the MPSS and not relevant to the discussion. Apologies.

HKS479 likes this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put on the Pilot Sport 4S back in March. The K2 wasn't available at the time so I put on the regular 245/35ZR20 and 285/35ZR20 front and rear. I have been very pleased with the tires. Great handling on dry and wet roads, and very quiet on the highway and over the expansion cracks on concrete roads. I don't know how much better the K2 ones will be, but I don't track my car so I don't need that last little bit of handling performance the K2's might provide.

Prior to this I had two sets of Pirelli P Zeros. They only lasted me about 8000 miles each. I now have 8000 on these tires and there is plenty of tread left. I expect they'll be good for 12000 miles and maybe more.

HKS479 likes this.
  15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I have not got the car back but i did some www research, some have compared the 2 back to back and it seems that the PS4s is a league above the PSS in wet handling, dry handling was not so obvious, noise reduction was significant though. it is meant to replace the PSS anyway
    So far there are not available in K spec yet for our 285 rear wheels and they may never be
    Anyway It is going to be changing my ride compared to my 8 year old P zeros that are also a generation back compared to the PSS and hard as a rock now