Supercharged 328 | FerrariChat

Supercharged 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by smg2, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    This has been one of the most involved in depth projects done yet.
    328, stock bore and stroke... New internals, high comp pistons and rods designed for boost.
    New cast manifold with integrated water to air intercooler.
    Custom belly pans and rear diffuser.
    Pics...
    So far... 14 miles of nutty fun.. loads more tunning to go. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin T, brian.s, BOKE and 2 others like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    That looks amazing! What are you using for fuel injection/ignition/ECU on this one?

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Very cool, would love to see more photos and info about this project.

4. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Awesome job!

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Link ECU, Storm unit to be exact. While Overkill the thunder unit is my favorite, but didn't fit the build here.
    Also running dual O2 sensors and knock sensors.

Kevin T likes this.
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Martin308GTB likes this.
  7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  8. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Hi smg2,
    I was going to ask how you arrived at your diffuser design, but then saw your stream line plot, the results of a CFD run? What analysis/CAD package are you using?
    Bill

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yes, laminova cores.
    I have pre & post intercooler sensors for pressure and temp. So far there is no pressure drop Delta up to 7psi, haven't tuned past 7psi yet, going in stages. And temps are steady at 90*F post intercooler with pre temps of 140*F. The coolant system is 7.5 imp gal. With a 5gal tank and radiator (exchanger) of 4 core 13"x 27".

celestialcoop likes this.
  10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Solidworks & Catia, for engine sim it's a couple programs, dynosim, 4stHEAD & EngMod4T.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Very impressive! What rpm have you seen the 7psi and no pressure drop at? Don't know much about the laminova cores-- will look them up. To get that heat transfer with so little pressure drop is impressive.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    4k rpm.
    Laminova cores are very good provided they are used correctly, lots of maths to calc how many, proper water flow rates etc... Then figure a way to fit it all in the design package.
    It'll be interesting to see what the flow rates are as we near 20psi.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Scott,

You NEVER CEASE to BoGgLe my mind. o_O

:D

GREAT Work !!! :)

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Thanks, it's fun most days... Takes longer then I'd like, then again I have to step back and realize that everything is created from scratch on these builds and we also get to work with truly great clients who are enthusiast that also pursue perfection.

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'll have to dig up some more pics of the project as it was under way.
    Early on I decided to integrate the new ECU into the factory harness and fuse/relay box. That turned into a massive undertaking. Filled a notebook with pin outs and color coded wire to sort it all out. See the one tricky bit is that the new ECU requires it's own power supply key on etc.. but needs to sit in the trunk... The fuse box as we know is all the way up front.... The ECU has to take control over the fuel pump, something that the stock ECU does not do. Also need relays for the ignition circuit... So after some re routing, the no longer needed smog circuits were re tasked to handle those functions. Engine harness was slightly modified to work with the new crank sensors. And in the end the stock fuse box handles the fuel pump, key circuits, etc... Even the diagnostic plug still works, slightly redundant given the ECU but useful for scoping the crank sensors still.

What else... The throttle body, the monster 2,175 CFM flow rate, required a custom linkage setup. That honestly took a week of design to sort out. The gearing is a decreasing elliptical, each tooth changes pitch as it moves, tracked down a software program for clock and watch makers that helped massively with the gear layout.

The linkage and intake plumbing was 3D printed out of carbon nylon. High heat resistant, chemical and solvent resistant and best of all... Light weight. In reality it's that traditional loss MFG like milling is limited in ways that printing or additive MFG is not. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi, its looking good. Very clean design. Is that a Rotrex supercharger?

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Thanks, and yes, the C38-92.
    Id like to try the C38R in the future. I consider the rotrex blowers to be belt driven turbos. They still have the boost curve but howl like a turbo and build boost insanely fast as the rpms tick up. 90k rpm will do that though.

18. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    I've been researching centrifugal blower options for a while. I find turbo's on a 308 just too messy and cluttered. I've read good things about the Rotrex and I was thinking of using the same. I previously found this picture of an installation (I don't its yours but I didn't keep the reference)?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yes, I did that one back in 2006/07 if I recall correctly.
    The rotrex is a great unit. Getting expensive though -$2600 or so for just the head unit.

20. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Do you have a kit for the 308 that would replace the KJet injection with a rail kit, the cap and rotor with a electronic ignition, and the box over the intake manifold? Thx

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    2V I assume, at the moment I don't have a 'kit' that would include the manifold. It has been asked and we are looking into it. I'm developing a manifold that would not include the water/air inter-cooler cores and I think that's what you're asking about. I'm also exploring having the the manifold 3D printed directly as there are new materials that can be used for direct production, and cuts out the added expense of casting and the issues with that. Esp as aluminum heat soaks and having a composite manifold would really help with hot intake air reduction.

Just as a heads up such a kit with manifold would easily be $10k.