Supersprint Exhaust 550/575 | FerrariChat

Supersprint Exhaust 550/575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by pkl03, Feb 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi,
    Has anyone had any experience with Supersprint exhaust on 550/575. They sell a cat back system consisting of x pipes, connecting pipes and the 2 rear mufflers at a very competitive price. The units are made in Italy and appear very good value.

I have search previous posts but very little about them. I have found a clip with their system fitted to a superamerica but would like feedback from anyone that has used their system as it is difficult to judge the sound based only on a clip.

I am after a traditional 12 cylinder old style sound but any information regarding quality of their products etc would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    PK:
    I have the SS mid-pipe, known as a resonator delete. Well-made and a simple bolt on. SOTP and observation (restriction of the stock item) says seems to increase power. Also, easy to deal with, prompt etc.

I do not have their mufflers or headers so cannot comment on sound.
    Philip

3. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    My friend Alex Zhan who has the 2005 575 GTC, he went all the way with SS from balanced headers, to high flow cats, to center pipes and rear mufflers.... He loved it, and often trying to make my 575 do what he had done... but, the only negative point is that the ECUs needs to be reprogrammed..

Lin Alex

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    One other thought. In general I believe the ID of the exiting exhaust pipes on the earlier v12s were modest in dimension. This helps produce the "scream" of the smaller displacement v12. The HGTC exhaust had smaller cans and exit pipes with a resonator (smaller inner pipe) to raise the pitch of the exhaust.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Any chance of a video of his setup?

6. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Next time I go out for a run with him, I will try to film something...

Alex

7. Trabots

Trabots Formula Junior

May 15, 2011
    Perth, West Aust
    Full Name:
    Willy Stobart
    Lin Alex, any chance of finding out who reprogrammed the ECUs? Cheers. My thoughts are that any exhaust modification which doesn't need the ECUs reprogrammed in open loop operation aren't doing much for performance. Most of these expensive systems for sale seem to fall into that category. They don't fix the fact that the pipes from the cats back need enlarging. Stock 2 1/4inch pipes with non-mandrel bends are simply not big enough for this motor. Tuning for sound is a different matter.

8. alex550575430

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    I just talked to Zhan Alex, it looks like the guy who sold him the Supersprints full set of exhaust system also did the ECU reprogram... But, it looks like the guy shipped the original ECU sets back to Europe for the reprogram and sent back, and we have no clue who actually did it....

Lin Alex

9. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #9 pkl03, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys, some time ago I placed a post requesting feedback on Supersprint exhaust systems. I had come across them when I googled exhaust systems for a Ferrari 550 but there was very little feedback from users. One of the factors that attracted me to Supersprint was the price of the system, but I was not going to fit something on my car purely on cost. My main objective was to improve the sound of the car.

Prior to this I did as much research as possible to find the "right" system for my car. I found plenty of posts and feedback for systems such as Tubi, Novitec and the other mainstream systems and plenty of information on straight pipes verses X pipe pros and cons. A search of You Tube added to the confusion, the most difficult issue is how realistic is a sound clip, and that sound is subjective and comes down to personal preference. What sounds great to one person could be miles apart to someone else.

I decided to contact Supersprint directly and was able to discuss what I was looking for. Basically I was after a throaty V12 sound that was not too loud. I did not want a race car or high pitched scream like that on some of the V8 cars and I did not want to attract attention to the car. I was also concerned that the rear cans did not come with valves may be too loo loud.

My criteria was that the system sounded good, was well built, easily fitted and looked good. After much to and fro conversations and emails with Supersprint over a period of about a month I finally took the plunge and ordered a cat back system. X pipe, connector pipes and rear cans.

In regard to the rear cans I had the option of the dual round pipes (76mm) or the dual oval (120 x80mm). Originally I was going to order the dual round as I wanted the car to retain a stock look but after viewing some pictures of the ovals that had been fitted to a SuperAmerica I decided to go for the twin oval tips.

The next dilemma was when they informed me that they had developed a H pipe that was not listed on their web site, but were going to add to their product line and suggested that I should get this instead of the X pipe. The email from Supersprint read

"The reduction of the cross-flow, allowing only the pressure wave to pass through and equalize the pressure between the two lines keep the waves themselves more defined and it amplifies the separation of the firing of the single cylinders. The V12 sound is more evident and also louder."

What a dilemma! I had read every bit of information about X and straight pipes now I was offered H pipes. Practically nothing written about H pipes for 550/575 what do I do?? My head was telling me X pipes but my heart was telling me H pipe. After much thought and more research I decided to take their advise and go for the H pipes.

The system was shipped and I had it fitted. No problems with the fitting, the system is designed to use all the OEM hangers and fitted perfectly. Once the car came off the hoist and viewed from the rear, the oval polished tips look magnificent they fill the back of the car nicely and give it more of an aggressive look. Absolutely no regrets selecting the ovals.

Next the start up. WOW what a sound, it really sounds like a V12 Ferrari. Bought back memories of starting a 365GT 2+2, probably not the same sound but you definitely knew that you had woken the beast from its sleep.

Next the drive, initially I thought it sounded too loud but this was probably based on the comparison to the standard system that basically was silent. The sound is definitely noticeable, but not annoying and no droning, with the windows up no issues at all. I had some friends assess the sound as I did a few runs past them and they said it sounded great. The comment was "it sounded like a Ferrari". Probably the best feedback I got was when I stopped to put fuel in car. A stranger who was filling up next to me came over to admire the car but also made reference to how good it sounded. Jeez that felt good.

Other observations are that the engine feels as though it flows more freely and appears to be more responsive. I can't comment on horsepower gains as I don't drive the car to its limits. My main objective was to make the car sound great and it is certainly achieved this. I would have liked to hear the difference between the H pipe and the X pipe. The H pipe was a last minute change and it probably would have been better if I didn't have the option to choose. Even though I am happy with the sound with the H pipe it bugs me that maybe the X pipe sounded better. Maybe I will order a X pipe down the track.

My dealing with Supersprint was flawless, Roberto who I dealt with was very knowledgeable and professional. If he did not know the answer he would speak to the technical guys and get back to me with the requested information. I took a bit of a gamble ordering an exhaust system that I had not heard from the other side of the world but fortunately it paid off.

As I said earlier, sound is very subjective and what worked for me may not be right for you.

Attached are some photos of what the rear looks like. Once I get some sound clips and will upload.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  10. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    PK, thanks for starting this thread and taking the risk of purchasing your replacement exhaust system without really knowing what you were getting. Based on your words at the beginning, I'd say we both have the same "taste" in V-12 sound. My wife and I have always loved Daytona and GTC/4 exhaust sounds and that's kind of what I'm shooting for on the 550 I took delivery of yesterday. As I pulled into our garage for the very first time with the 550 last night, my wife's first comment was, "That sounds terrible!" It was the lack of the classic V-12 sound that shocked her.

So, the question is: Have you had a chance to do a sound recording? And, btw, how much did your system cost, not including shipping and installation?

Bill

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    PLEASE make some good video asap! I am very interested to hear it.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Erik

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    @ pk

Supersprint is a brand with a good price/performance balance, more established at "normal" cars, not Ferrari + Co, respect that you risked to buy such a system.
    My wifes Fiat Barchetta has got a Supersprint rear muffler in 1999, now 14 years later, everything is OK with the muffler, no quality problem, always the same sound.
    So i think you will not get any problems with quality.

Drive the new exhaust some 100 or 1000 Km.
    Normally the sound will change a little bit, so you have the chance that it will get better once more.

Daniel

P.S.
    I had the luck, that the previous owner of my car bought a Fuchs mid section and Fuchs rear mufflers, so i was not in the misusage to buy a system.
    Fuchs is for me a very good choice, but very loud when i demand it.

13. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    There was nothing for our cars on the US Supersprint site, but looking at the European site I come up with €2362 for a complete cat-back system with the oval tips like yours. At $3223 USD, that sounds like an amazing bargain!

14. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi guy's,

Supersprint (Italy) contacted me after I installed the system and I sent them a clip for them to put on their site but I haven't seen it posted. I couldn't figure out how to post it here as it was too large. I will contact them and see what where it is at.

As for prices, they are listed on their European site.

Needless to say I am still very happy with the sound, six months later. I constantly receive comments as to how good it sounds. I also really love how the oval tips fill opening on the rear bumper.

15. Gardus

Gardus Rookie

Oct 15, 2010
  16. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I will try and get a better sound clip. I have only got access to a phone camera so the sound is not representative of how it sounds live, so please don't base the clip above. I will try and shoot from further away to see if it improves the quality.

17. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Is anyone here looking for a new set of Supersprint mufflers? Left and right side new i could sell those shipping from Europe :)!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat