Swapping 575 ecu side to side | FerrariChat

Swapping 575 ecu side to side

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ChrisKing, Nov 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Evening all,

is this possible? I have a 575 with the LH bank not running. Fuel, spark and air all seem present. No fault codes stored. Compressions good. RH coils disconnected and no firing on any LH cylinders. Belts just done with camshaft O rings, engine timing good. Am looking to swap Ecu's side to side to eliminate this, is this possible?

Cheers, Chris.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The right Motronic ECU has the alarm functions in it. If you swap, the system will automatically store the alarm details (PIN, etc) in the other ECU, so no problem with swapping. The left side does not care.

Many other possibilities, such as a camshaft sensor inop. I would have someone with an SD2 or Leonardo do an analysis before getting too deep into swapping parts.

3. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Thanks. No fault codes with SD3. Only one camshaft sensor on a 575, I'd imagine all cylinders would be out if this was at fault. Next step is swap crank sensor plugs round.

4. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Ecu swapped, NG. Crank sensors swapped, NG. Cam sensor unplugged, runs beautifully on 12. Donor sensor tried, NG. Crank set at TDC, all pulley marks in line as per my original marks. Will remove cam pulleys to check cams havent moved before pulleys originally refitted, 99.99% they didn't.

5. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    cam cover LH removed to check timing marks on cams to cam caps, all good. Crank set at TDC with a dial gauge. All my marks are good. Pick up on the inlet cam for sensor good. Wiring from cam sensor to ECU good, no short to each other or ground. At bit of a loss with this. If cam sensor unplugged it runs smoothly on 12, no misfire or rough idle. Both cam cover earths in place. Baffled!

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you have an Oscope, get a visual of the cam sensor output signal plugged in, engine cranking.

7. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Just obtaining a Oscope. Have a 5V feed to the sensor. If disconnected when running it stays on 6, has to be started unplugged to allow all 12 to run. Also need to obtain a wiring diagram to see if any other component or sensor uses the same 5v and earth.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Let's back track. How was the car running before the service was done?

9. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Running well, hence why I've retraced all my work and can find no issues. I've carried out, and so has my colleague this job plenty of times with no issues. No trapped wires, everything in the correct place. All connections checked against another 575, all plugged in the correct places. No bent pins, dirty contacts. The cam sensor, which is the affected circuit in some way isn't disturbed when cam covers are removed, the sensor is merely unbolted and moved aside. I've seen people clip valves when doing this if the cams turn during seal replacement, but that would cause me to have a misfire on 1 or 2 cylinders, not shut down a whole bank.

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    How about the 2 sensors at the flywheel that identify the missing tooth. I believe their function is to set up the start procedure for each bank, one of those could be faulty or have a wiring issue.

11. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    I've swapped these side to side and no different. If you swap the sensor including the loom, it wont start so its acknowledging the sensors being in the wrong place.

PAUL500 likes this.
  12. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    Crank sensor wiring checked for both, all ok. Inlet removed again to check for trapped wires, all ok. Although it shouldn't cause an issue as its not used for cam signal, I removed the RH cam cover to check timing, again on the factory marks at TDC. Very baffling.