Tach needle offset | FerrariChat

Tach needle offset

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AD211, Dec 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Recently had the battery replaced in my 2010 California. When I received the car back, I noticed the tach needle was below zero when the car was off but also at idle at a stoplight (last pic), etc. Dealer says their repair (new battery, water valve) is unrelated. It moves fine when driving but no idea if it’s ‘correct’ since the starting point is off. Any thoughts on the cause? I returned it to the dealer and they are checking the ‘tach motor’ and say that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery did not resolve the issue. It worked perfectly fine when they picked it up for the battery replacement but not upon delivery. (I searched the forum but didn’t find help...apologies if I missed the answer here on Fchat somewhere).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I would give Rod Drew at Francorchamps of America in Costa Mesa, CA a call, 949 631-6373

he can tell you “what happened” and how to fix it. It might require you to pull the instrument cluster to have him fix it.
    The dealer will just replace it for $4-5K

3. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thank you for your reply. The dealer did mention they typically send them to CA for repair. Wonder if it’s the same resource?? I’ll reach out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seems too much a coincidence that a new electrical issue occurred that wasn't there until immediately after they changed the battery. Wonder if they swapped the cables wrong and fried a component in the tach/dash or maybe tried to jump it which many have said damages the dash. Seems fishy. Don't think you'll every know for sure.

5. Ashapir3

Ashapir3 Rookie

Jul 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Anthony Shapiro
    Hey did you ever figure out what’s causing this/how to fix it? Have the same issue just happened today when I turned the car on.