Taken Delivery of a 91 Testarossa - some questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Taken Delivery of a 91 Testarossa - some questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Fezzaphil, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I got coolant out of the bleed screw on the Ricardo Tubbs side (passenger), but I can't find an extension long enough to undo the one over the thermostat housing and the one on the Sonny Crocket side is eluding me, obscured by a bunch of other hoses. Man, this is frustrating. But I'm taking my time and being patient with it.

Filled with water again, fired her up, waited, and within maybe 4 minutes water temp gauge went to 250, but oil temp stayed at the bottom - I shut her down.

One note - the coolant reservoir is stone cold, even when the coolant coming out of the Tubbs side air bleed is piping hot.

What does all this mean?

I hope someone has a bright idea, because I'm staring at the Auto Gallery Ferrari Service Department phone number and trying not to do anything foolish...

2. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Take it in and see Eric or Travis. Tell them I sent you. They will take good care of the car. They are the only ones that I allow working on mine after many F*ups from other independent shops, I will not risk repairing it anywhere else.

They did a fantastic job with my engine out and a super nice clean up after my clutch issue from another shop.

Call Dave right away. You should not hit 250 in 4 minutes. I have never seen my tep gauge at 250 even on a hot day. Something is wrong with your wiring since your fans are not coming on past 195 and no water circulation. It will cost you $$ to get this baby on the road but you are in good hands with Auto Gallery. They are fair and they care.

Good Luck!

3. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    After thinking it over, I called Dave at Auto Gallery Ferrari and they are coming to get the car on a flatbed. I'm so tired of broken promises, missed completion dates and getting back a car that isn't roadworthy.

I was just told that Auto Gallery warranties PARTS AND LABOR for TWO YEARS. That alone makes me feel a lot better.

I'll let you guys know what they end up finding...

Thanks for the helpful tips.

4. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    Nice mix of cars. Seems like you have a 3 day weekend covered with some nice drives. Hope your situation with the temperatures is normal. I know my 328 takes a lot longer for the oil to come up to operating temp when it is cool outside than the water temp.

5. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Guess who fixed my car in one day? Auto Gallery Ferrari service dept in Canoga Park, CA.
    And the price was so reasonable I was actually shocked. Relays were in the wrong place, and some connections weren't right. Also, large air pocket trapped in the cooling system. Told them to replace coolant/fan sensors and thermostats for good measure.

I couldn't be happier. Going to pick up the car tomorrow as I don't have time today.

Almost forgot - my car was submitted by a friend to the Huffington Post's vanity plate contest and is in the number one spot. Give me a vote to help keep me there? :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/01/vanity-plates-in-los-angeles_n_1311838.html#s754266&title=Spotted_Malibu

6. Testarossa Lover

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Good to hear that it worked out at the end. You can't go wrong with Auto Gallery.

7. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #32 malibu_rob, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After quickly sorting out the electrical issues, Eric discovered that the engine was hotter on one side than the other. Turned out to be the water pump was spinning on the shaft due to a bad/broken shaft key.

So, that means the engine as to come out. And while it's out, may as well do a 30k service, including timing belts, clutch kit, etc.

Eric took these photos for me, should have the car back Friday if all goes well.

Shocking to see the motor out!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    When the enigen is off, take the gearbox off now also .... and please do inspect the diff (or simpler: replace it now) !

THIS is the right moment ...

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #34 vincenzo, Apr 4, 2012
    that diagnosis 'big-time' pegged my BS-ometer .

enclosed is a pic of a '90 TR impeller - no key in sight - just a squared off shaft and impeller. To the best of my knowledge, the '91 is the same (perhaps another F-Chatter can confirm/deny). Perhaps you should lay eyes on the damage to confirm their 'diagnosis'.

Best Luck,
    Vincenzo

10. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #35 malibu_rob, Apr 4, 2012
    Not sure if the same or different, but Eric who is doing the work is very well respected by a number of my FCA friends and they swear by him. Here's another photo he sent me last week of the bad shaft next to the good one (he is very good about communicating with me, explaining everything as he goes and sending clear photos - he is awesome).

11. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'll ask him to do so if he hasn't already - thanks for the heads up!

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #37 vincenzo, Apr 4, 2012
    Looks like he is correct - the problem is at the rear of the shaft rather than the front impeller side. Enclosed is a pic of parts diagram which shows the key that failed.

The failure of that key/shaft at that point seems really unusual and surprising to me.

The impeller load 'should' be way too low to shear that key and destroy the shaft. Perhaps the rear bearing seized???? Did he inspect or replace the rear bearing and/or drive chain/sprocket(s)?

please continue to explore this failure - seems the story has not yet fully unfolded.

rgds,
    Vinenzo

13. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The shafts shown appear to be different, as the "bad" one has a turned down shaft and the "good" one has a full diameter shaft....Why the dimensional difference in shaft diameters?!......Mark

14. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Vincenzo,

You make a good point. He said he had never seen or heard of such a failure, and he was really surprised. He seemed to think that it was due to being overtightened by whoever did the previous service. There were two nuts missing from the cam covers, vacuum hoses routed incorrectly, etc. Great diagram - thanks! They offer a warranty on all service performed. If something IS missed, I don't have to pay twice. Great peace of mind.

Mark,

As a result of the key being bad, the shaft turned and became severely worn.

Just waiting on a throw out bearing from GT Car Parts (both Bill and Ferrari had a one week lead time to get one), if it comes Friday I should have the car back Monday. Can't wait!

15. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The "bad" shaft looks like it was turned on a lathe, as the dimension looks to be 3/16" less than the full sized shaft diameter....I would ask...."Where did the shaft's metal shaving go?!......Mark

16. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Might want to also consider replacing the input shaft bushing at the same time as the throw-out bearing.....Mark

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    RED HEAD SEEKER....I see what you mean, that the shaft looks to have been "turned" down, but....the reduced diameter portion is not cylindrical but actually tapered, and the shoulder is thinner too...that suggests wear...your thoughts?

Never ever seen this before....

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I'd bet the shaft cannot become that badly damaged without major destruction on the chain sprocket.

Perhaps re-post with a new, more specific/technical title to draw in some more of the F-chat resident experts (along with those that have already posted :))..... likely they are glossing over the post.

Check out our Sponsor Ricambi for all the parts diagrams - great help (and supplier).
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&V=model&I=40

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

19. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #44 malibu_rob, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    Got my TR back, runs and drives perfectly. Radiator fans come on at exactly 195 degrees according to the temp gauge, and quickly cool things down. Car starts and run perfectly stone cold or hot, drives tight and everything works. Couldn't be happier!

Thanks to everyone for their input, I am also VERY grateful to Eric @ Auto Gallery Ferrari for taking such great care of my car and resolving dozens of problems (too many to list, from bad grounds to aligning the engine cover so it closes properly, et al)

I put 400 miles on the car in three days, I am really enjoying every moment in it. Just need to replace one bulb behind the speedometer, troubleshoot the erratic operation of the pass side electric seat belt motor, and replace the speed controller for the ac/heat fan and the reverse switch. Other than those items and at some point addressing a worn driver's seat bolster and shrinking dashboard leather the car is just about perfect. I never thought it would run/drive so well.

I went to a VIP event on my street over the weekend help by Lamborghini, S.A and to be honest, have NO interest in owning one. I'm perfectly happy with my TR :)

20. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Roughly 2k miles on the car, runs like a dream.
    Eric @ Auto Gallery is just amazing. Anyone looking for a true professional artisan in SoCal who knows these cars should see him.

21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Youre selling? What happened.. Didnt you do the gt car parts fuse box vs. dave helms.. You did the gold kit as well? Did the car scare you? Hedging off? or you dont like her and you much rather have something else.. Just curious.

R

22. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    LOVE the car. Runs/drives like a new car now. Everything works. GT fuse box worked out great (I am sure Dave's would have, too). Did the Supremo gold kit, clutch, engine out service, etc etc.

However, I have five cars and two kids. We're moving to a nicer house with less parking space, and I am commuting more which means less time to drive the car. Something has to go, and I am driving my S550 daily now.

I may go in the direction of a new one next year that would be better suited to being a daily commuter car - we'll have to see.

It's a fantastic TR that's already been gone through for someone else who wants to enjoy it.

23. Testarossa Lover

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    +1 Eric simply the best...Auto Gallery all the way for me too. :)

24. Testarossa Lover

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    What??? come on buddy, you are going to regret selling. I had mine for sale for few days and pulled it. 57K is a low ball price and someone will be getting a deal!

25. malibu_rob

malibu_rob Karting

Jan 26, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The market is soft on the TR's. If I don't get my asking price soon, I'll keep it.
    I do love the car...