Targa top squeaks no more!!!! | FerrariChat

Targa top squeaks no more!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cavallo_nero, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Well, I got tired of my targa top squeaking all the time. After I looked at it for a while, I realized the majority of the noise was comming from where the latch goes into the groove in the roof structure right behind the targa top. I went to Lowes, bought some ‘felt blanket’ as it is called – price was less than 2 bucks. It is thin felt with a sticky back – not the thick felt pads used for furniture legs etc, but this stuff is paper thin. I cut a one inch square piece and applied it to the groove where the latch mechanism rests (with the latch unlatched). I then closed the latch and the latch now rests on top of the felt in the groove. Now, there is absolutely no squeak at all. I will try to get a pic to post, I am excited to finally get rid of all that squeaking from the rear of the targa top……try it - you will be amazed at this simple fix………john
    78 308 GTS euro

2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    My car has a top that I can install?!? :) Seriously, though, thanks for the good tip. Dane

81 Si

3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Good idea. Mine has a rattle that arises from slack in the latch itself. My solution is to use E clips to remove the slack in the latch. 355

4. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    the thickness in the felt will tighten up any slack, the fit is nice and snug.