430 - Temp Gauge sudden overheat levels | FerrariChat

430 Temp Gauge sudden overheat levels

Discussion in '360/430' started by mjposner, Jul 14, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Second time in last two months, driving along, nothing unusual and suddenly oil temp gauge starts reading very high. First time it pegged right, I pulled over and waiting a minute and it went back down. Second time I see temperature rising, put heat on full blast and it went back down, turned heat off and it was stable and at the right spec. Is this more likely a sensor issue or cluster?

Cluster was repaired by prior owner

Yesitsfast likes this.
  2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I would be changing the temp sender unit. Im experiencing exactly the same with my water temp.
    Oil sender unit is located by the cv axle on the passenger side. That would be my fist port of call.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    As far as i know the oil is cooled using the engine water, is the engine water increasing temp at the same time. Are you losing any engine cooling water. Otherwise a sensor fault

4. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    "Are you losing any engine cooling water." None that I see, will check level this week-end. Also, water temp gauge does not go up at same time so I know its not actually overheating. Must be wonky sensor.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sudden spikes are either air in the system or gauge/sensor error.

6. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Still happening occasionally. I can force back to normal by turning on heat full blast.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    By using the heater, That is cooling down the water, which is used to cool the oil cooler. Any drips from the water pump seal- you will have to drop the cover under engine to check

Qavion likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look in the cooling water tank , take a sample out and see if any oil sheen on it

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  9. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    To clarify, when it happens it goes from normal to max in just a few seconds, and turning on heater drives it back down in seconds. This has to be an electrical issue. Otherwise it works normally. Does this clarify?

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the diagram it appears the temperature sensor is in the cross over pipes between the radiators, should be easy to get to, to check the wiring etc

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't see any obvious electrical links. The earth for the oil pressure transmitter is shared with the oil pressure sender and the fuel quantity sender, but nothing HVAC related.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The sender is cheap and available

13. Johnv10

Johnv10 Rookie

Jun 16, 2018
    Boerne Texas
    Full Name:
    John Hackett
    Possible that air is in the cooling lines. Or possibility that you have a loose ground somewhere. I believe there are 4 grounding points on the car. All of mine were loose causing weird things to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That would be too easy :D There are at least 25 major and minor grounding points.

QSA likes this.
  15. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Will look overt this week-end.