Temp sensors bad? | FerrariChat

Temp sensors bad?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 00 550, Oct 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    I've read most posts about high temperature running at stops, updated radiator hoses, and underpowered fans for the engine cooling system on the 550. Mechanic says hoses were updated although I cannot see the "white line" on the one under the plenum, but my question is this...it seems the temperature gauge gets quite high (almost to red line) occasionally at stops independent of ambient temperature. Weird thing is it does not seem to be every time I am at a stop (even during the same drive), and honestly it may even not get as hot at a stop when the car is fully warmed up (and there is plenty of time for it to do so at some stoplights). Is it possible that the temp sensors are bad, intermittently not sending the signal to start the fans until late, better performing when car is warm? I do knownboth fans are functional, and ive never overheated, it's just worrisome watching that gauge go up at lights. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the oil tempm has neveer gone past the midpoint. If so are they a DYI for someone without a lift but reasonable ability. Thanks for any guidance
    -C

2. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Forgot to mention that eventually at a long light the temp begins to come down prior to any help from air flow even when it approaches red line

3. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I am having the exact same issue that you describe with my Barchetta.
    I also own an 04 575 Maranello and that car runs cool and it does not heat up like the 550.
    I can actually feel the cabin area getting warmer when I drive my 550 and am stopped at the lights at times.
    It is a little un nerving to be honest.

I would like to add I drove the car this past Saturday and the temperature was only 70 degrees fairenheit, and my gauge was going up when stopped at a light. Like yourself, it does not happen at every light

It will be interesting to read if anyone else has had issues like this, or even overheating issues.

4. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    After reading more, i think this has been covered pretty extensively in previous posts. Sorry to bring it up again. I think I'll try changing the thermostat first as it is inexpensive and seems a relatively easy job. I'll let you know if it makes any difference

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    If that does not work read my post (not a bad thing to do anyway)
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299091
    it's perfect now.
    Take Care,

Bill

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Bleeder hoses!

A 550 that has the gauge go past 190 has a problem.

7. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Which ones are those? The one to the overlflow?

8. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Which ones are those? The one to the overlflow?

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #9 166&456, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I think the overflow is not what Dave means, I think he means the hose between radiator and expansion tank. That thin hose can gum up completely. Also make sure to check and open up the inlet pipes to the expansion tank and radiator. They're tiny!
    Get the original hose, it's not expensive. And it's got those cute marks to remember where to put the hose clamps...

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing in factory literature for late model Ferraris tells you to change coolant every 2-3 years. If this has not been done, make sure you do it because the anti-corrosion additives wear out. If you change any hoses, make sure you use 575M or Scuderia Rampante hoses, which are silicone. Dave's hoses are the best you can buy.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    And not worth the money being charged for it.

The OEM hose fails internally and can look perfectly good on the outside while being completely collapsed on the inside.

One bleeder from the Valley and one from the radiator, both serve an important function.

12. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Dave thanks, I changed the radiator to expansion tank already, but I´ll check the other one tomorrow if I have it on my car (456), now you got me scared...

So the original is crap. I should get silicon ones?

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    to adequately get to those hose the pleunum needs to come off unless you got baby hands, long arms and can bend your back 120 degrees. So you may as well pull the tsensors and put them in a pot of boiling water with an ohmeter on them and you can see if they are working too.

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Ditto FBB.

As one that makes special Silicone hose because I was completely fed up with what was available, Silicone or Rubber.... yes! Not all silicone hose is created equal, some is worse than rubber!

15. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Flushed the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Did the air bleed so i doubt an air lock. At first start up fans came on before 190 degrees Then, as continued to idle, temp then climbed to around 220 before fans kick on and drop temp to 190. Now what? Hoses or temp sensors? Both fans working, checked prior to closing up, and I even pulled plugs and cleaned connections. Quite frustrating

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Christopher,

Try cycling the temperature control on the HVAC a few times, slowly, full hot and cold with the compressor on.

Barry

17. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Cycled the HVAC like you said in the garage with motor running for about ten minutes, barely got past 190. When it did, it came back down, i guess from fans or thermostat opening. That is encouraging. Because it is dark here now, I had the lights on. Not sure of it matters, but intensity of lights seemed to increase and decrease a little as I changed from full heat to full a/c. Kind of strange, huh? I should get a better idea of whether or not anything has changed tomorrow when I take her for a spin

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Christopher,

From what you're describing, the water temperature sensors might indeed be the problem. You now have a new thermostat and you've drained, flushed and refilled the coolant properly. Your left and right radiator fan relays appear to be working properly as well.

Please keep us posted.

Barry

19. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Following thermostat replacement, temp went to around 240, then cooled down to 190-200. Just seems to be kicking in way too late. Odd that it seems after start up and getting to 240 it then seems to oscillate between 190 and 205 once cooling begins. Then out of the blue it will go back up to 240 at a stoplight. I think the left bank sensor may be the culprit. Worried about the cost of that as it seems to be hard to access. Oil temp never goes past midline throughout this ordeal. Am I overreacting, or should I pursue this ( are radiator hoses going to burst). Car drives amazing, no signs of overhearing, just looking at that water temp gauge makes me worry

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Christopher,

If it's the temperature sensor(s), then indeed your 550 would not be overheating but the water temperature gauge would read intermittently high as your experiencing when your car is stopped at a light or in traffic. Once underway, you would get more normal readings.

Does your water temperature warning light come on when you get these high gauge readings?

Your relays are probably OK if the fans are kicking in. High water temperature gauge readings would occur if the fans are running with a faulty temperature sensor. What makes you think it's the left sensor?

Barry

21. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Have not yet gotten the water temp warning light in the multifunction display. That is kind of odd now that you mention it? From reading previous posts from Taz and looking at WSM, it seems that the left bank sensor is the first to kick on the fans ( around 190 degrees F), backup sensor is on the right or motronic? ( not sure i quite understand this part) and kicks in around 230 if first sensor fails, which is when mine does

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Christopher,

I reacquainted myself with the section in the WSM, Cooling System pp. B64-68. In addition, I inquired at Classic Coach where I have my 550 serviced and failing water temperature sensor(s) is a very real possibility with the symptoms your car exhibits. It's probably best to replace both sensors considering the age of the car.

Barry

23. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Christopher,

I think the temperature swings on the 550 are due to the hysteresis of the sensors (fans come on a couple of mm past the middle line, and go off a couple of mm before) and to the huge thermal inertia of the 20 liters of coolant.

By observing mine I have noticed that if the AC compressor is running when I stop at a traffic light, the temperature doesn't rise much beyond the middle line, because at least on of the fans is running.
    This is also true when I stop and both fans are already running.

However, if the temperature is below the middle line and no fans are running, when I stop at a light the needle will rise beyond the middle line, both fans will come on, but the temperature will still rise for 20 seconds or so, until the cool water from the radiator actually begins to cool the engine.
    Under normal conditions the needle never goes beyond 3mm over the middle line.

However, what you are reporting - 240F - is too high and Ferrari says you should never exceed it. At that temperature the additives in the coolant decay very quickly.
    This summer I was in a traffic jam in 100F outside temperature in France, and the needle nearly reached that 3/4 white line, meaning the coolant was at around 230F.
    So I decided to park the car and just wait for the traffic to clear.

If you're reaching 240 despite both fans running, you might consider changing the coolant, it's probably so decayed that it's not doing its job properly.

Stefano

24. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Thanks for the assistance guys. I'm past my level of comfort when it comes to taking off the air intake. I'll be taking it in this week to have it repaired. I'm planning on both sensors and the big hose under the plenum, since we are there anyway. Anything else to fix while the plenum is off? I hope that is the answer
    -C

25. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    #25 maranello72, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    The two plenum gaskets (to avoid vacuum leaks in the near future), the small rubber hose under the big one, and the one going to the expansion tank.

Stefano