Tensioner falling apart in my hand | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tensioner falling apart in my hand

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Mar 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    #26 Adaptel, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, because my car happens to be apart at the moment, and because you asked no nicely, I have taken the photo you requested.

It is hard to see in a photo, but the tensioner on the left just appears to be made 1000 times more robust. The inner race seems to be thicker. Also, it appears that the outer race extends beyond where you can see it and into the "meat" of the tensioner itself, resulting in a larger actual bearing to take the loads. I'm no expert...just my 2 cents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Kevin,
    I've seen a couple of those single inner race style bearings over the years. I took one apart once, & the outer race & rim seem to be made from one piece of steel.

Not sure who makes them. Did they come in F* labled packaging?

Could you use your camera's MACRO setting & get pictures of the lettering on the inner race & any logos on the race or molded into the plastic seals?

It's not clear that the dual inner race design is necessarily better. That design is used by a lot of bearing manufacturers as it gives a bearing that can handle both axial as well as radial loads. Once the inner race is clamped together, it's as solid as a one piece outer race.

3. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    #28 Adaptel, Mar 6, 2008
    No, they did not come in a F* package. I'm sure Lyle Tanner would know more if this photo doesn't lead you to an original source. Post any info you might find, I'd be interested to konw who orignally made these really nice units.

4. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    #29 Gianluca, Mar 6, 2008

Breda is a major Italian manufacturer of trains. Washington D.C. Metro trains are made by Breda (actually now they went to a Spanish firm). Interestingly, Breda's logo is...a prancing horse!