Tequila recommendation | FerrariChat

Tequila recommendation

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by SCKOMS, Aug 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Greetings all.

I know NOTHING about Tequila, in fact, I don't think I've ever tried it. My wife and I are hosting an engagement party for our daughter and future SIL and I'm trying to stock the bar adequately.

What's a good Tequila in the $50/bottle range? (is that a reasonable price for a good bottle?)

We're expecting about 50 people, I would say maybe 10-20 guests would ask for it, so how many bottles should I have on hand?

Thanks in advance.....Spiro

2. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Have you read through the ”What is Your Favorite Tequila” thread about halfway down the page? There are a number of different types of tequila discussed. For me the research is part of the fun anyway…

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Will check that out but feel free to make a recommendation.
    I love researching stuff I enjoy but I don't have much of an interest in Tequila TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JL350 likes this.
  4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    SCKOMS likes this.
  5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  6. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Did you mean to include a comment?

8. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I did, but apparently put it within the quoted post: "Also recommend" and that is also a very popular one.

SCKOMS likes this.
  9. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    How do you think most will consume it- Sipping? Margarita? Ranch Water? Other cocktails?

10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #10 ChipG, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    I'd buy a few bottles of Casamigos Blanco but only serve on the rocks WITH a ORANGE WEDGE (not a peel and kick anyone out who asks for a lime), big 1/4 of an orange wedge squeezed in the drink, trust me on this. Then a few other tequila brands mentioned from above posts.

And my experience is women do not like Anejo, the ones I know all LOVE what I said ^.

In bulk (6) you should be able to buy it for around $38 a bottle.

Norseman likes this.
  11. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sipping

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  13. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I put together a quick list this morning of brands that you probably haven't heard of but make some of the best tequila. There are numerous mainstream brands out there (Don Julio, Patron, Casamigos, etc) that can get the job done but this is a list of tequilas that are much better and about the same price in many cases. I also put this list together for my own reference and it will include some outside your price range, apologies for extra info but figured its worth including. All prices are from checking my local Total Wine.

Blanco (unaged)
    El Tesoro - $47
    Fortaleza - $50
    G4 - $45
    Insolito - $32
    Juan Lobo - $38
    Ocho - $45
    Pasote - $45
    Siege Leguas - $43
    Terralta - $52
    Volans

Reposado (aged 2-12months)
    El Tesoro - $49
    Fortaleza - $50
    G4 - $58
    Insolito - $40
    Juan Lobo - $43
    Ocho - $55
    Pasote - $46
    Siete Leguas - $49
    Terralta - $62
    Volans

Anejo (aged 1-3 years)
    El Tesoro - $63
    Fortaleza - $85
    G4 - $88
    Insolito - $45
    Juan Lobo - $48
    Ocho - $65
    Pasote - $53
    Siete Leguas - $49
    Volans

Extra Anejo (aged 3+ years)
    El Tesoro - $100

Since these are smaller brands, the availability may not be great. Overall, Fortaleza is one of the best tequilas for the money. El Tesoro, Siete Leguas, G4, and Ocho are all up in that category as well and are made in traditional method and do not have additives. I've been reading up on tequila from the snobs and aficionados and these 5 consistently make their list of good tequilas. Some of the above have additives but still qualify as good tequila. For example, I brought a bottle of Insolito Reposado to a buddy's ranch this weekend. We were making ranch waters and finished it very quickly and I had no hangover the next morning.

Typically anejos are seen as the sipping tequila, but a good enough blanco or reposado can just as easily be sipped.

If you want to continue your research, this is a good website: https://www.tequilamatchmaker.com/en There is a panel rating and a community rating which may also be helpful to you.

If anything, a bottle of Casamigos or Don Julio will get the job done and might be more recognizable to those in attendance if no one is a tequila enthusiast. Casamigos seems to be the hot mainstream tequila and is typically what I get if I am not at home.

Check out this post from the tequila thread, this is a strong list and while I don't recognize all brands, the guy seems to know what he's talking about: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147995805/

Congrats on the engagement! I have probably given you too much info so let me know if you want any more info on something specific.

JL350, surfwolf and Innovativethinker like this.
  14. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for putting this together. It's a great reference.

TheDuke likes this.
  15. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m thirsty now.
    I agree on Don Julio being excellent.
    One brand I didn’t see was the Costco branded anejo. Very good in my book.
    I also like the Ilegal brand mezcal that Costco is stocking in my area.

16. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    My daughter commented that she heard the Costco brand was good but thinks it would be tacky. Maybe if they decide to have margaritas I’ll pick some up.

17. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I’ve actually heard some decent comments on the Kirkland brand Tequila. May not be a bad route to go if you do margaritas. If you do margs, definitely make it in bulk beforehand. I’ve spent way too much time at parties making margs

Many people go with a silver/blanco for making margs, but I typically use a reposado to get a little extra flavor.

Don’t go too cheap if doing margs, but no need to really get into what I mentioned above. Don Julio reposado for a good marg or something like espolon or Kirklands for a bit cheaper. Casamigos has been our go to for margs the past couple years. Before that Don Julio or Herradura were common choices.

Let me know if you go the marg route and I can send a good recipe.

Ranch waters have been very popular lately but not sure about making those in bulk.

18. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Going to try making a margarita with a Greek kick…Greek honey instead of sugar for the simple syrup and then tart cherry and maybe an orange wedge which are very popular flavors in Greece.

TheDuke likes this.
  19. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    that’s a pretty dam good list, and one that will cost me some $$

I love Fchat.

TheDuke likes this.
  20. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    :D Nice thing about tequila is that it’s relatively cheap compared to whisky/bourbon, wine, and cars!

I am working through that list. I don’t think I’m even halfway done

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'll go on the cheap end & say if you aren't gonna go fancy with single malt scotch & bourbons, this tequila will satisfy most.

2 1.75 liter bottles would more than do the trick for that many people, at about $40/bottle.

p.s.? It isn't my favorite tequila, but I prefer it to many of Patron's offerings, and it is a step above the basic Cuervo for sipping.

Image Unavailable, Please Login