Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tesla is really not fast at all...(really fast)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I reviewed a P100 D (the fastest Tesla) for two weeks last summer in Germany and Switzerland, immediately after two weeks in a S 63 AMG coupe. Charging station anxiety aside (I live in an apartment), if I were going to take one as a gift, I'd take the Tesla. Faster (except at high autobahn speeds) and more fun to drive.

G. Pepper and rob lay like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I try and do the first three quite a lot in my C63 AMG 6.2. Is this bad?

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I own the coupe and the interior is night and day better than the tesla... and if u are going to drive in the autobahn it is faster too;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Themaven likes this.
  4. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I have to admit, I have never driven a Tesla, but if the 0-60 time are what is claimed, then they are impressive. That said, one of the reasons that I was attracted to European cars when I was in high school, was the over all driving experience. In high school, kids were fascinated with the 0-60 performance. Heck, kids would take a turd of a car, and souping them up. I never did get the whole fascination with drag racing mentality. Just look at the movie American Graffiti, fascination with straight line performance has been going on for a long time. Give me a challenging curve and a winding road over a straight piece of concrete any day of the week. Of course most people live in a grid layout concrete jungle, and don't venture out to drive the hills and valleys, so that might explain some of it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There's “fast”, and then there’s “quick”.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

The truth is the tesla beat them all but its all due to 0-60; then other cars catch up and have a faster trap speed.
    In a 1 mile race like they do in russia results would be different but a 1/4 mile is a 1/4mile

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    These are all ETs not speeds. The Tesla trap speed is only like 125mph. My 991TTS trapped 137 with a 10.5s ET, that's fast. I watched a guy with his Tesla out at COTA on a track day and he couldn't make it past lunch because he was out of charge. He also couldn't go faster than 110. My car was hitting 160 on the back stretch and 140 on the grandstand. Tesla is slow.

G. Pepper, Bas and bberg009 like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Again I question the practicality of 1/4 mile hitting speeds 140+ MPH, 90+ MPH isn't practical. you think 1 mile is practical? 250 MPH from modified Lamborghinis.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think 0-60 is the most practical statistic for street cars. You aren't driving a road track and you aren't going 120+ mph trap speeds in town. You are however doing dozens of stops and starts, merging onramps, passing etc. on every daily drive.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Oh no.the post starts with a comparison of 1/4 miles so i found this illustrative video.
    1mile is not for sure.
    Now as far as 1/4 id say it semi practical; i mean in germany those are normal speeds

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Actually I think passing stats are the most important. Say 50-80.

Bas, INTMD8 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for highway driving I agree, I'm not sure how much there is of that in typical large city driving. In DFW you are either going 0-40-0-40-0 or you are on commuter roads either stop & go or traveling 85 mph, there are 3-5 lanes so no passing maneuvers.

FYI, the Tesla is really good at the rolling accelerations too, I'm not sure where the crossover is where a California (as example) vs. Tesla S would be. I know the Tesla still pops your eyes back with acceleration starting at 30-40 mph. I think the Cali really would have advantage stuff like 60-100.

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    not at all. the more the better !
    all i was trying to point out is that people are kind of comparing apples and oranges.
    a 4 door commuter car generally is not one to be dashing down the dragstrip with, but is the car that you will be sitting in the daily traffic slog.
    hence, the acceleration times are basically irrelevant, however, if people do want to compare these stats for 4 door cars, the tesla does in fact come out quite well, AND has the advantage in the traffic.

i am not a tesla fan boy, but horses for courses.

Themaven likes this.
  14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think the Tesla is an excellent commuter car. Thankfully I have no need for a commuter car.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You could not give me an electric car!

bberg009 and Bas like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well our government is trying. ;). Thank you to everyone for giving us $7,500 to buy one. :D

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    - when was the last time I went from 0-60 in the fastest time they could? 2006
    - when was the last time I went from 0-100 in the fastest time they could? 2006
    - when was the last time I went from 0-1/4 mile in the fastest time they could? 2006
    - when was the last time you did the 5 miles from the office to home in 45 minutes? Since my office is 18 feet from my bedroom, it's been a while.

Bas likes this.
  18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Actually this was Ferrari club event and while there were no 458 to measure against, it certainly wasn't embarrassed in the company of a 430.

19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don’t doubt it, however, I call it like I see it, a Tesla doesn’t float my boat looks/style wise, and it could be a second quicker to 60 for all I care, I just can’t se that a well driven super car would be embarrassed by a well driven Tesla, especially as every time someone does a serious attempt at multiple laps of a decent track in one, they do great for a lap or so then go into limp mode cos the batteries fry

Please don’t be offended by my Neanderthal ways, I’m just glad I lived and raced in the era I have, and by the time these toys become the norm, I’ll be dead and buried. No doubt my daughter will Love a ludicrous mode tesla roadster one day and laugh at her daddy’s old ferrari fetish!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I unexpectedly had the volume turned up, and this Tesla video scared the crap out of me.

21. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    Sound likes the washer in the final spin rinse.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ...and ICE sounds like shoes in the drier? :D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    how much engine noise do you hear in your mercedes S class, or equivalent, when you are driving to dinner with your wife?

me? none. my mercedes is like a sound proof cocoon of serenity. very relaxing.

how much noise do you hear in a tesla S when you are driving to dinner with your wife?

none. its like a sound proof cocoon of serenity. very relaxing.

24. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My ML63 is pretty loud if I dip into the throttle. I love it because of that.

25. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Not sure about the CaliT, but for Porsche 911 it overtakes Tesla 100 on power after 1.1 seconds, for LaFerrari it is a little less than 2 seconds (see below graph from MotorTrend's test). After that Tessa's are advanced electrical tractors :) :) that is beaten by most sports, GT, and Hypercars..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.