Testarossa engine removal step by step | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Testarossa engine removal step by step

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ang308, Jul 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi David-

I just searched through your past posts to find the one you're referring to describing removing the engine without a lift, but I was unable to find it. Would you mind posting a link? I'm considering doing the major on my own this winter and if I could put off the purchase of a lift, it would certainly help me afford more parts!

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Try this search under my name.
    TR transaxle rebuild

xplodee likes this.
  3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It is also possible to leave the rear wheels & tires on, and use a floor jack under the front cross-frame of the engine cradle, and roll everything out from under the car body. Like Ago Car Nut....I have done quite a few engine-outs without a lift this way. I eventually made a "swiveling castor" that bolted to the front engine cradle, that way I could roll it around the garage as needed.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Stripped bleeder:
    Carefully clean the bottom of the bleeder hole. A sharp point works well - slow and easy so it is not scratched. Without clean surfaces it won’t seal. Over torquing and corrosion strips the threads. Adding a helicoil may be problematic with the tapered seat at the botton of the hole. It might be worth a trip to a qualified machine shop for that repair - personally, a DIY solution could be difficult (but thats just me). Always use plenty of anti- seize on the threads, but keep it off the seat.

Good luck with your repair on that one.... please keep us updated. I’m eager to see how its done.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    what city? I can help you for sure. Did my '86 two years ago. I have a cradle I built too.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Nick, just take your time and treat it as a labor of love.