Testarossa heavy mpg? | FerrariChat

Testarossa heavy mpg?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by prancing_pony, Apr 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    Now there are some who may argue if you own a Ferrari mpg is somewhat irrelevant and to an extent I'd agree but I decided to measure mpg over the weekend

The scenario is, well, balls out to be honest and over the weekend I appear to have averaged less than 15mpg, perhaps around 12 mpg

I leathered the car off this afternoon and the area at the rear of the car especially the slats that run across the rear of the car were pretty well covered with soot. I am wondering if the car is running rich?

Like I say it has been a spirited weekend and I am not afraid to drive the car to the maximum 'where road conditions allow'

Is 12mpg pessimistic? I am not bothered one way or the other but if it's running rich then it might as well be leaned out. With a '91 there is obviously no cat so rich running is not an issue and may explain the heavy sooting on the rear bodywork

Is the Testarossa that 'dirty' in environmental terms?

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Mr pony she dose sound on the rich side get the emissions checked out 2 minite job,rectifing it may take a little longer,its k-jet so its just all pressure system pretty basic same as xr3i system,by runing it to rich your gona wash the bore's down causing it to wear out a little faster not much though,the excess fuel will end up as soot as you said and get into the oil.

3. prancing_pony

prancing_pony Rookie

Mar 30, 2005
    It does seem rather heavy although if I am honest I rarely go beyond 3rd gear so this may account for it?

When I filled up (based on the guage which hadn't moved that much) I was expecting a £20 squirt, it ended up nearly £40!

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    any mot station will have a calibrated 4-gas analizer just ask them to do a print out for you post it on the screen and lets see how she's running,
    make sure the engine's hot when taking it for gas test.

5. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    No soot on the back of mine PP :D