Testing tires for classic cars | FerrariChat

Testing tires for classic cars

Discussion in '206/246' started by ghenne, Dec 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada

Attached Files:

peterp, Ribolla_67 and TTR like this.
  2. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Quite comical isnt it. the Pirelli knocks the rest of them into a cocked hat.

What is also amazing is that in some catagories in that the Pirelli scored a 1. These tests arent specially for classic cars. that is saying that in dry braking the Pirelli scored as good possible score as the best of modern tyres, which isnt a driterior i expected them to do well in. Its true bonus is how well it handles fitted on an old chassis. the fact it performs so well in these other criterior is impressive. (I guess its score for rolling resistance is its only let down. but then that wasnt a thing they considered in tyre production in the 60s and 70s.)

Hopefully we will have these back on the shelf soon https://www.borrani.com/205-70-r-14-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

peterp likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And obviously for comparisons/testing to be more accurate/meaningful, instead of using just one (911 & not counting the VW Golf), they should be conducted with at least two or three different type/variations of cars designed/intended to use same/similar tires, i.e. front vs mid engine layout, lighter vs heavier, etc.

4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Well there is something in that but where do you draw the line. It is a very expensive exerise. i was involved in the testing of these tyres https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/stella-bianca.html with Pirelli, there is a lot of time involved in swapping wheels and tyres on cars, and you need a track. It takes a lot of time and involvement. from memory we had about 20 tyres to test we used 2 cars and 3 different drivers. What was nice was that all 3 drivers agreed which was the best tyre structure, which tied up with what the Pirelli technitians thought was going to be best, so that kept it simple.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Dougal, I can completely understand time and money involved, but for any “apples-to-apples” type product comparison test, and not just automotive or tires, to appear even reasonably comprehensive and unbiased, it should (at least IMO) have broad enough variety, not to mention absolutely no financial or support personnel influence/involvement/input from any manufacturer (or retailer) of products being tested, with perhaps an exception if ALL manufacturers being tested donate equal lump sum to be used for indirect costs like track rent, etc., along with equal quantity of their own product (to be tested) and obviously all this should be clearly disclosed in the final test report or article.

If I’m not mistaken, here in the US there is (or was ?) a publication called Consumer Report or something, which might offer a closest thing to unbiased testing and reporting on variety of (consumer) products with least amount of (obvious) influence from their manufacturers or retailers.

DinoLasse likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I purchased a set of CN36s (vs. XWX) a few years ago based almost entirely on this test. I haven’t been disappointed.

375+ likes this.
  7. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    “… a few years ago …” ?
    So presumably either (almost) worn out or over-aged.
    Planning to replace them (soon) with same or something else ?

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Due to the length of restoration they aren’t worn at all and I have no plans to replace them right now. I’m not overly concerned about the age.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ??? :confused:

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The tires have been indoors, out of the sun and ozone, properly inflated and off the car.

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm only seeing this post now, but thanks so much for sharing it. I've been paying close attention to real-world comments about vintage tires on forums for many years to help select new tires. The enigma (to me at least) has been that while a few love the Michelin XWX, I've seen far more bad stories about their performance, particularly in wet, from those who have actually owned them. Despite more negative feedback than positive (from what I've seen at least), the XWX still seems to be largely seen as a "go to" tire. The XWX's look kind of bloated to me in general anyway. I've heard good things about Vredstien and better things about Pirelli vintage tires, so it's good to see this test corroborates all of this. This data, on top of all the word of mouth I've been tracking, makes it a "no brainer" to go with Pirelli. Just now need to figure out which Pirelli type is best for 215/70-15.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As far as I know, not a real solution, especially if safety is any concern. Tires age, regardless of use or storage, period.

Besides, how do you know their performance is less disappointing than XWX if you haven't driven/used them extensively or at all ? :confused:

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for your concern.:)

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    To be clear:

I’ve had XWX on Porsche 914/6, 330GTC* and BMW 3.0CS. CN36 on Mercedes-Benz R107*, Porsche 911 and 308GT4*. Based on my experience I found the Pirellis equal or superior to the Michelins, but it’s purely subjective. All those cars are very different from one another, so a laboratory-perfect scientific comparison is impossible. Since I don’t use my cars for track days, my data comes through feedback from the car, not timing equipment. The results of the comparison test that Dougal provided, although not rigorously scientific, speak for themselves……as does the difference in price. ;)Aesthetically (a minor consideration) I consider the Michelins to have a better “look” but I can’t see them when I’m driving.

*”Vintage” tires, not O.E.M.

JCR likes this.
  16. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

When comparing these things i might chuick a couple of points in the ring.

Michelin XWX didn't score coparatively well in the wet, but even the 3 is the average score available and out of the 4 wet tests the Michelin was above average, and only one was a -3. so these tyres on balance are still above average in the wet. Though i must admit i was supprised by the wet results of this tyre in the test. I would also suggest that Michelin are renown for their performance in heat. If you are in a hot climate Michelin are a safe bet. Its all about carcass integrity.

On the subject of carcass integrity, there was a point when we used to sell quite a few Vredestein tyres because they were historically great value, which they don't seem to be now. But the complaint we got about them was this big divot in the side wall which is something you do get in tyres, specially with tall side walls, but the Vredestein was quite pronounced, which didn't instill you with faith, though i would say there was never any evidence of it causing any failures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But then as i might have mentioned before i am not a fan of the design of the Vredesteins look.

I am however a fan of Pirelli and Michelin. I think i am going to get Pirelli Cinturato tattooed on one bum cheak and M. Bibendum on the other. The reason is; we flog loads of these tyres and we don't get come back complaints on them. All we get is people coming back to us and saying "Wow! Its loads better on these tyres. I thought you were talking rubbish when you kept banging on about how a proper period carcass suits a classic car chassis, but now i have fitted them it turns aout you weren't talking out your.........."

peterp likes this.