That Annoying Bora Steering Rack Rattle | FerrariChat

That Annoying Bora Steering Rack Rattle

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gcmerak, Apr 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    The reason you have that nagging rattle from your steering rack is because the bushing Maserati used was highly inadequate and wore out very quickly.

A very robust bushing made of aluminum bronze will be shortly manufactured to eliminate that noise maker.

Anyone interested in such a bushing please let me know.

Ciao,
    George

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK but my car has 40K on it and I've never noticed a damn thing? When does this show up?
    I've never touched my steering rack.

3. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    Where is this bushing located, in engine bay or under dash? I have a rattle under dash in my QPIII, coming through steering wheel.

4. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    The steering rack is located underneath the car between the two front wheels.The location of this bushing [#45] is in the aluminum housing just where the inner tie rod [#7][passenger side] connects to the rack gear [#16]. The bushing's purpose is to isolate the [passenger side] end of the rack gear from any non-horizontal movement. This rattle varies from car to car. One will typically hear it when going over bumps in a straight line, but never when turning.

It's just one of those things like not knowing when the lead plug in the pump valve/check valve located in your carburetors [but never included as part of a rebuild kit] decides to rupture. Don't ask how I know, I just do.

You can easily check the inner tie rod on the passenger side. If you can move it at the point where it connects to the rack gear, then your bushing is gone.

You can check the exploded view and more information about the steering rack rebuild at

Rebuilding The Maserati Merak/Bora Steering Rack

Ciao,
    George

5. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    The bushing is located inside the rack housing. It supports the rack. The bushing was originally manufactured with a steel sleeve and a graphite insert. It's not enough to support the rack alone. 100% of Bora/Merak have that issue.
    You can install 2 jack stands under the front A-arms to reduce the load on the tie rod ends and then grad the inner tie rods to see if the rack has any up and down play. If you do, then the bushing will need to be replaced. The original bushing can be replaced by a solid bronze bushing.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You mean potentially right?

7. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Nice, George... excellent to provide this. Jacques sold many tie-rod/steering kits, including to me. On installation, being we were in there anyway, I think I recall we used then a replacement for the bushing in question -- machined from DELRIN.

Working fine now, as is all the new under-rubber, but would have used your replacement piece had it been available then. Bravo! Make a lot of them, as definitely on list for all Bora and Meraks.

[email protected]