The 200+ mph club | FerrariChat

The 200+ mph club

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Eric275RGR, Jan 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric275RGR

Eric275RGR Rookie

Oct 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Manuel
    I saw this article about a Ferrari going wide open throttle at the Bonneville Salt Flats and it got me wondering about how many road legal Ferrari’s have actually ever joined the 200+ mph club. That must be a VERY rare occurrence indeed!
    Although many drivers and cars are capable obviously not many places on the planet it's legal, practical or even possible to attain such speeds. I wonder how many have or would attempt such a feat given the opportunity?

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/01/watch-a-ferrari-sf90-stradale-go-flat-out-on-the-bonneville-salt-flats/

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I tried to get there but ran out of runway, I guess airplanes don’t need to hit 200 to take off haha.
    This photo is of a 458 at the local airport a few years ago. That is the screen on the left side, I took the pic after the run because it is stored in ecu
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Eric275RGR

Eric275RGR Rookie

Oct 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Manuel
    There is a several miles long stretch of highway between Pahrump, Nevada and Las Vegas that is ideal for high speed passes. The last few years the highway has actually been cordoned off and closed while several legitimate world record top speed records by Bugatti and several other makes have been made there. I've always wanted to stretch my legs but of course it would be unsafe with traffic and regularly patrolled by the police.

4. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    " how many road legal Ferrari’s have actually ever joined the200+ mph club."
    I remember reading years ago, that the 575M was the first production car to have a top speed of 200+ MPH. Don't know if that is an accurate statement or if the top speed is an estimate by Ferrari or actually a measured speed.

5. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "There is a several miles long stretch of highway between Pahrump, Nevada and Las Vegas "
    There is a long stretch of highway on US 50 (Loneliest Road in America) mid-way between Eureka and Austin where high speed passes are only a threat to the driver.

6. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wonder how you would get all the salt out of the cracks and crevices if you did that with your own car.

7. Eric275RGR

Eric275RGR Rookie

Oct 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Manuel
    Tell your detailer that you are taking it to be judged at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and then open up your checkbook....

19633500GT likes this.
  8. Eric275RGR

Eric275RGR Rookie

Oct 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Manuel
    Great question. More research on my part required. I'm sure several people here already know.

9. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Here is a 575...true to claim.

10. bw929

bw929 Rookie

Feb 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    fc340
    I did something called the Texas Mile recently. They rent out an airport runway for a few days, a couple of times a year, for guys to do standing miles.

My 14-year-old F430 got up to 165. The newer street cars were hitting 180+. Some non street legal cars were hitting 200+. I guess a newer street legal Ferrari would get close to 200.

The main problem is the standing start, unlike Bonneville or a desolate public road where one can start at speed.

11. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "I remember reading years ago, that the 575M was the first production car to have a top speed of 200+ MPH."
    At first thought, I don't think of the F40 as a "production" car but being street legal and over 1300 produced, I guess it's claimed top speed of 201 MPH in 1987 takes the prize.

12. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Here’s me doing 2.8mph at bonneville in the 90’s. I use to get screamed at a lot over the loud speaker in my years of going there

NYC Fred and 3POINT8 like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Official records for Bonneville are most of the time under SCTA sanction and "200 MPH Club" is their trademarked award.

People forget those records are set under specific conditions and are records because they are hard to set. It is a standing start on salt. Not the best traction medium in the world. And over a 5 mile course. In both of our cars full throttle was never used until top gear past the 3 mile marker. Of all the times I went to Bonneville I think I saw a grand total of 3 Ferraris and never saw one set a record. The 200 MPH Club means not just going over 200, you have to set a new record while doing so. I know they all did, just not their first time there. This one put our owner/driver in the 300 MPH Chapter of the 200 MPH Club. 337 miles an hour with 250 cubic inches.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    We had to disassemble this to get all the salt out of the crevices and we didn’t really drive it on the salt very far or a long distance. I would not do that again haha

NYC Fred likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Salt is used to accelerate corrosion in life testing of most materials. You cannot remove it without complete disassembly and corrosion removal chemicals and techniques. I would definitely pass on any Ferrari run in the salt.

A modern Ferrari can get to VMax from the average highway speed in a very short time and distance. Never safe to do but not a particularly difficult achievement these days. Since Covid the average highway speeds appear to be way higher than pre Covid.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Famous video that made the news, Autobahn April 2020 in the middle of hard confinement when there was almost nobody on the roads. 372kph (231Mph).
    Absolutely genuine not a video game or false.

Legal and considering the near zero traffic, quality of the ultra smooth tarmac and, strictly observed keep to the right rule for slow traffic not a danger or problem contrary to many such videos. Note driver does it with one hand, which I would not do but it demonstrates the stability of the car.

TifosiConch, Qavion and Tech Nerd like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just saw this one:

417kph Bugatti Chiron. Again they picked the right time, probably just after dawn on a Sunday and the autobahn is not your average interstate in terms of road construction/engineering, there are many more layers under the tarmac that ensure that it stays dead smooth which is vital for such speeds. 417kph=259mph.