THE 2018 Monterey/Pebble Beach auction thread | Page 15 | FerrariChat

THE 2018 Monterey/Pebble Beach auction thread

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    If you are a buyer you would consider estimate a guide to the price you would pay so it would be gross, if you were a seller you would want the figure to be net since that would be your return. I do believe it has relevance as a comparison to the gross sale.

LARRYH and turbo-joe like this.
  2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree it is useful to know, but my understanding is that the auction estimates don’t include buyers fees, so it wouldn’t make sense to include it when reporting where the eventual sales price fell within that range?

3. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    That’s one thing I don’t understand. Why have a buyer’s premium at all? It’s always seemed weird to me to say SOLD! at some price and then say “just kidding” immediately afterward...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The auction house deserves a fee for the service they perform. Seems very reasonable.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Nothing really weird about it; this is the way all auctions are conducted for cars, art, antiques, toys, etc. There is the "sold" hammer price plus buyer and seller percentage a.k.a. premium, commission, or fee. That is how the auction co. makes most of its money, and is an accepted standard. They spend a significant amount of money to put on these auctions. Granted there are rare occasions when a sellers or buyers fee might be waived or adjusted - but that depends on many variables, and typically is not done. All fees are always stated up front in the catalogs along with a mind numbing, long list of terms and conditions.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This also explains why million-dollar cars (and I presume art and so on) are negotiated deals BEFORE the auction. This is where the auction house earns its fee. Getting the seller to the table is the key.

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Only some deals (minority of them) are negotiated before....and some literally right before, but that is not sop with all big sales.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The big dollar cars don't get a guarantee?

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Nope, and too many of them to realistically do that with.

10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Gooding offered one of two 365P Stradale, the one with three abreast seating, and it didn't sell at roughly $22 million so not all cars get a guarantee. Depends on multiple factors.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I didn’t necessarily mean a house would guarantee a sale at X price. It’s more along the lines of saying we’re willing to commit to getting you Y price.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Timmmmmmmmmmy and 375+ like this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Notably both the 250 GTO and Aston Martin P215 at RM Sotheby's had price guarantees in place. As you pointed out this is different from a reserve price.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I was more replying to another posters comments that most big dollar sales are guaranteed because there is a thin line between a guaranteed sale and a rigged publicity stunt. I agree they probably negotiate an amount of minimum return, accepting some risk onto the house should the lot tank, Gooding certainly did that on a Duesy Model J that they sold on Wayne Carini's chasing cars. Unlike Chandelier bidding (up to reserve) which is an actual genuine problem for those that watch the industry, guaranteed minimums do allow anyone to bid on a lot and they do change hands and can even rarely fail.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Fee is of course reasonable, however their fee amount (%) is unreasonable....

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    I guess I wasn't clear in what I was trying to get at. My beef wasn't with that the auction houses get compensated, but from whom. If I buy a house, I'm not paying the agent's commission, the seller is. Just seems weird that buyers have to pay above the actual price.

F12KID likes this.
  16. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I hear what you're saying, but you are more or less trying to reinvent the wheel. What's your suggestion for auction house compensation?

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think he implied he wants the full commission be paid by the seller and the hammer price is what the buyer pays and nothing more. Similar to home sales with the example he gave.

Edit: It would just end up shifting the price estimates and reserves up, but at least some buyers wouldn't feel nickel and dimed. At least that's what I guess would happen...

F12KID and Xtreme5053 like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The trick is finding someone who wants to sell their valuable car. There are always more buyers than sellers for these old Ferraris. The house that offers the best deal gets the sellers.

F12KID likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yes they basically find a buyer a certain price and gaurantee a certain net to a seller this is done all the time to get big name cars to the auction... they want the cars to get other lesser cars and of course the bidders., in such a case it would not be unusual for the seller to net more then the hammer price ...nothing is as it seems at auctions ....
    and high bid but no sale does not mean there was anyone there to buy the car...it only takes one bid to buy a car ...

375+ and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Hello
    Does anyone knows something about the 250p 0816 ex Bardinon? It was consigned to RM Sotheby’s Private Sales last August..

21. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    It was available for private sale--same car that was withdrawn from the Retromobile auction

RM said asking price was around $50 Million

Ken Goldman

Christian.Fr and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Thank you Ken, but it was sold or not?

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Still on their web site in the Private Sales section as being available.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  24. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Ah ok! Thanks Steven

25. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hi guys, just an enthusiast question, is there a specific reason why 0327AL didn't sell ?
    The Vignale design might divide but it's so strong and personnal, I love it, the interior is the best you can get in that era, and you have a 375 Lampredi under the hood with all the fun that it implies in term of performance and all the troubles and worries to take care of it :D . So I'm a bit surprised this one didn't sell?
    Thanks for your lights.