The all-new 296GTB | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The all-new 296GTB

Discussion in '296' started by gabf1, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont know where this fits in as far as future Ferraris are concerned, this model, that model and the other model etc lol . I like the 488 and the F8 a lot better. I thought the design would be more exciting, and more of an entry level 150 k price range, and without all the techno wiz. I think a Lambo Gallardo looks a lot better. Like the other guy mentioned, the F8 , 458 , 488 are the last real good looking Ferraris , oh and the 812 . I could live with a V6 Ferrari if it was a more exciting design.

Thank you

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    First there are still turbos utilized
    This is not a 'fastback' as there is a vertical rear window .
    Not seeing a Dodge trunk there.
    No comparison with a Japanese front, way cleaner front than say a clumsy Supra GR disaster!
    Yes bring back the analog tach and real knobs to adjust! Not some glare prone screen.
    Roma has the engine in front of the driver so the shape has different needs than the 296.
    Each voice is only ONE opinion good or bad. It should be remembered that many new Ferrari customers don't carry the baggage of past Ferrari design ideas. They clearly want a 'new' Ferrari with lots of power and style...

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I like the looks, in photos, we'll see in the flesh.
    Like the Roma its a return to more organic classical type shapes which personaly I like.
    The only incongruous bit seems to me to be the side in takes.
    Like the Roma its takes design cues from the past, so is more pastiche than trend setting, but both do it really well..

As for powertrain once we entered the paddle only era, and for that matter turbos and all sorts of electronic aids+eps, whether its v6 turbo hybrid or v8 turbos its all modern computer controlled and synthetic sound, the question then is one of execution and driver perception.

This car is has a lower cg than a F8 its also apreciably shorter, that implies fatser turn in and pivot, sharper more spirited handling. How that handling feels remains to be seen, but ferrari are masters at this, no reason it should not be equal to a pista or better in terms of handling and feel.

Back to the powertrain, an electric assist properly executed makes a turbo motor feel as direct/immeidate/precise as the best NA powerplants, so whats not to like there. Lastly theyre also offering some sort of track package with lots of CF and multimatic shocks, so one can order an off the rack pista without having to grovel.

The two downsides I see. It weights 75lbs more than a F8 which was already heavier than mclarens and porcheGt3s. There are 4 modes. For best lap time the battery will deplete in 3 or so laps, so you cant really track in max attack mode. Even still this car will be more than fast enough.

With all the good bits its going to be what 450-500K, so no one other than a very few will ever track it. As a road car, given its powertrain characteristics revs tq hp and no lag is there anything finer you could buy?

the MC20 looks great too and no electric asist, but its heavy long and therefore Gt, maybe theyll make a lightweight version.

If one wanted something to drive to and ocasionaly play on track with, The new vette z06 is going to rock a NA flat plane crank, so thats a more old school viceral choice which may be better, but its size is 12/10ths comapred to the ferrari and its going to weight something like 3-400lbs more which are serious drawbacks, course its also going to be 1/4 the cost. A Gt3 may be more fun and is what 1/3 the cost, GT3 and Gt4 could be the sweetspot for drive to the track cars..

The ferrari is probaly the best, but really expensive which means its more of a token of sucess for 90% of buyers than a car to really use. So whats new.
    If youre a billionaire or meerly a few hundred millionaire wherein 10k or 20k per day on track means nothing its going to be the the choice. as an ultimate mid engined road car for the merely wealthy it will ocupy top spot. Maclrens, theyre too looks and build challenged to knock ferrari of this perch.
    Hard to beat a Hurrucan though, original looks, great motor, na etc, but its time has passed..

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    One thing to note is Macca has been purposely underrating their HP figures. I would tack on at least 15% to the Arturo, real world is probably in the 700s.

perrinnation, Thecadster and Napoli like this.
  5. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Agreed! Which is my point, if I had an SF90 I wouldn't be happy!

6. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have an SF90 and although I think the 296GTB is beautiful I am not unhappy because I don’t want one. Different price point. Difference performance. Different market.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    It’s a masterpiece. Full stop.

8. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    What a problem to have

9. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    The car looks hot!
    I am just worried the scale will be similar to the Alfa 4C which would really cheapen the brand

10. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I have a sf90 coming next month and I just don’t like the resemblance. It’s annoying - I paid for a car that was different only to have something at half the price inevitably to be mistaken for the ugly sister.

x z8, Rosey, furoni and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nonoyeahyeah

Nonoyeahyeah Rookie

Jun 14, 2018
    SFL
    May this be the most annoying experience of your life.

Rosey and furoni like this.
  12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I think it looks great from the front 3/4 view. Not crazy about the rear overhead, looks like the wheel wells are bulging out.

And once again, no manual gearbox. :( They lost an opportunity to shock the world.

13. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    The design is much simpler than the optically exaggerated F8 Tributo. The three-quarter view from the back is great, but I'm not quite sure about a few other details yet. But that's a big step in the right direction towards an elegant and classic design with modern aspects.

sd dave, boxerman and furoni like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I just think they should lose 200kg of bateries and hybrid tech and lose 200hp....without that extra they Couid probably save 50k and everyone would probably have a better drivers car at a better price.

15. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I’m prepared to wager that in the flesh they will look very different. The SF90 is insane - you have something to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I hope so. I liked the sf90 in person a lot more than the pics

Califan2021 likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t get to all the V6 hybrid hate.
    1-They have to go that direction, you all know the regulations, and this where we are heading.
    2-Whilst it’s fair to prefer N/A engine , v8,v12 it is also fair to say Ferrari has always lived with its time.
    The f40 has turbos, the la Ferrari has some hybridation, those are great cars no?
    3- Nothing prevents one to love both older and newer cars. I prefer older but refuse to live in the past
    4-Lastly the goal is to be alway faster & this is faster than the tributo. Ferrari has win many awards with the 488 for having the best engine which pretty much killed turbo lag. We may not like it but we got believe in them and that they will make the best hybrid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The shape of the front windscreen and side windows remind me of a Koenigsegg.

19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    From the designing point of view, it has clues from the F8, the Alfa Romeo 4C and the Maserati MC20.
    In terms of design i'm not so excited, however the engine and the powertrain is really a technological work of art.

20. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I like this approach. I have always appreciated the different car makers but ultimately ferrari the best. I also love Lamborghini and Porsche for different reasons. It’s funny but my Porsche turbo s has a flat 6 that doesn’t bother me much. It’s like, gone are the days when the weak v6 was shunned. Car making has moved on. However, Porsche always had a 6. Ferrari was 8 or 12 and Enzo himself said he built an engine and then made a car to fit the engine or something like that.

It’s a massive paradigm shift going to the 6 plus a hybrid. I’m still scarred from the word recognition because I hate to say it, if we played word recognition games and you said hybrid, I’d say Prius. Ugh! But the world is rapidly changing and I think these old notions of mine have to go so I can experience the car fresh with new eyes.

Design wise, I’m warming up to it. When I saw a new 360 next to the 355, I was blown away. And with the 430. And with the 458. And with the 488. And with the F8. This? Not so much. Personally, sf90, same. Roma, absolutely not. That car is not in the same aesthetic as any other current Ferrari imho. Yes, lusso and Porto are nicer to my eyes than that. Just was looking through some old pictures yesterday when I saw that car in the paint and it confirmed my opinion. If that thing didn’t have a ferrari badge, I wouldn’t give it a second look.

as for the 296, I feel much stronger about it. There is a lot of truth to the saying that pictures don’t do it justice. So true for many things. I could say the same for my nautilus. Looks amazing in person and wouldn’t want to be without it. I’m hoping that this will be my response with the 296. And if it is, I would be a buyer. But it would have to absolutely crush my 488 in every way, because I love my 488!

21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    To do what ?
    the kings of the straight line ???

22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #72 day355, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    If there was another badge, no one would buy it, as was the case with the NSX.
    When Ferrari says you can sell anything as long as you have the badge, in fact, they're right.
    If tomorrow, they made a 4-cylinder, hybrid, 6-turbo car, there would still be people to buy it ... that's very sad ...
    We have here, a digital car, which weighs the weight of an elephant, with a hot tube to generate an artificial sound, digital screens that we find at KIA, and 6 cylinders sold almost at the price of an 812 and we find that fantastic...
    Why not ... but we should not be stuck with the show off image that sticks to the brand today ...

23. Natkingcolebasket69

It’s all about track time, beating McLaren and keeping with the regulation

24. Natkingcolebasket69

It’s 40kilos heavier than a tributo. Hardly an elephant.
    Nobody forces u to like it or buy it. I prefer my Testarossa and 355 but I also live with my time. This the new era.

glastoria and Jonathan Collins like this.
  25. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Since when are buyers pilots ???
    Personally, I buy for the emotions, the emotions and the pleasure of the senses.
    I have passed the competition age of the one with the biggest ...
    I am deliberately provocative, and nothing against you, but just a kind of exasperation ...