The all-new 296GTB | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The all-new 296GTB

Discussion in '296' started by gabf1, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Then don’t buy it;)
    Lambo still makes the kind of car u like.;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    If it is written in the manual, it is because it is true:rolleyes:

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Amen

Thecadster likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

TheMayor likes this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    If that is an indoor startup, then it will sound significantly louder and "better" due to the reverberations occurring inside the physical space.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Of course but the stock F8 doesn’t sound like that indoors, it’s really muted and in need of an upgrade, this seems acceptable

Forza Scuderia likes this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Maybe so, but when my dealer started the F8 indoors, it sounded great! And, they knew it. They always start the test-drivers indoors.

8. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    It is Asseto Fiorano. It may sounds better than “ordinary” 296.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

I do think F8 CAN sound great, just need an exhaust system that’s it and of course it might void warranty

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #86 Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    F8 aftermarket exhaust means complete destruction of the warranty so is hardly a satisfactory solution for a car of this value. There is no might, ifs buts or maybes about that one. Its a definite 100 percent the warranty is toast and even if you remove it later on when you go to sell the car the val remains in the ECU for Ferrari to prove the car was previously tampered with.

If the 296 sounds good stock then it will pose as a better proposition than F8 for the greater majority even though it has the hybrid complexity. Both F8 and 296 need tenders to stay alive so theres no difference there.

Sound is VERY important for a Ferrari along with WOW factor. Without those two key ingredients the car is nothing particularly if its boring to drive at town speeds. Furthermore if 296 is more emotional to drive than F8 which wouldnt be all that hard then again it would pose as the more attractive purchase even though its more expensive. So i would anticipate 296 being a grave threat to F8’s future attraction and values for reasons stated particularly if the ergonomics are improved which i suspect they are. Then added to that is the superior MI in 296. Keep in mind also that F8 and 296 are just regular production models - not special versions.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Regarding exhaust I agree with u, but some F8 are closing on 2 years old so there will be more and more.
    That being said I have read a few members on the forum having green light from dealer to put back boxes without voiding warranty, I asked myself Ferrari of SF and they said it might be possible but right now it’s a no.
    I can’t wait to see a 296 in the flesh. I’m a bit disappointed they didn’t keep the s duct but that’s about it

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #88 Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    I think no matter which way you look at it the 292 is going to completely steal F8’s crown and general attraction for the greater majority of both new and used buyers once used examples become available. The S duct is not of huge significance for F8 other than posing as a design feature as its opening is very tiny in comparison to the Pista. Insofar as 296’s Aero goes im also sure Ferrari has improved it over F8 anyway.

Once the market adjusts to the look of 296 - as was the case when F8 was dropped on 488 - the interest will shift even further toward 296.

Insofar as SF90 goes, that car will lose appeal big time - not that it was ever appealing to the greater majority - as the 296 is being hammered home by Ferrari as THE most emotional yet and is lighter and not much less powerful. And there is no question the 296 looks infinitely better than SF90. So its not going to end well for SF 90 thats a dead set certainty. Mind you i think Ferrari have come to accept the wider Ferrari audience see SF90 as a visual flop therefore saw no point staving off the inevitable by trying prop it up by making the 296 as polarising and, as detatched emotionally as a driving machine.

Ferraris marketing banter appears to be very consistent that 296 is their most emotional model so if what they say is found to be even half true then Ferrari has finally come off the mat swinging. And its about time!!

Coincid, tomc and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another design that looks like way too many other cars. For this car to look so much like the original Tesla Roadster/Lotus...which came out how long ago? :/

It's not bad. It just lacks romance, originality, and artistry. Oh well. I'm sure it's fun to drive.

x z8 likes this.
  14. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wonder what this or SF90 would look like with Pininfarina badge

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #91 Shadowfax, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    If you look hard enough at any car you can often see other makers design cues. The 296 still looks like a Ferrari to me though, even though i can see the semblance of a GTR35 roof line, hints of an Evora side profile, hints of Corvette front and, hints of Camaro rear lights etc.

Insofar as a lack of romance goes I'm not sure what you exactly mean there?... unless you are referring to that ridiculous looking livery/lipstick mouth resembling Homer Simpson's mouth grafted onto the front which I would agree is hardly a romantic sight! I thought that was definitely trying too hard and unnecessary vandalism when the two stripes would have more than sufficed. A classic case where less is more!

Design wise there are many artistically sculpted curves in the hood and through the rear sections which is artistry in form. I think give it time. For me the more I see it the more I'm appreciating the design and in the right color will look quite stunning at certain angles. Sure its heavy and most would prefer it not to have the hybrid complexity but if Ferrari has been serious about providing a drivers car which appeals more to the enthusiastic driver then that will change a lot peoples current (negative) viewpoints.

x z8 and Napoli like this.
  16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Looks like a Lotus Evora copulated with a Ford GT.

DucPilot and Astrid.Didier like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The more I look at the 296, the less I appreciate it. It definitely looks like a Ferrari and it is not unattractive. But a super car must by definition, be extraordinarily special in appearance and performance otherwise why spend 1/2 million on a car.

daro82, Thecadster and gabf1 like this.
  18. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Very true. Nobody would see the 765 as not special. I would’ve liked to see more with the design here. Something is missing for my eye.

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  19. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The 296GTB is actually 140kg heavier than the F8, 1470kg dry weight vs 1330kg respectively.

graeme355 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Source because Ferrari didn’t quote that;)

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What is missing is a daring design with at least a modicum of creative thinking outside the box. Ferrari is playing it safe in order to avoid offending the sensibilites of any existing clientele. Since the 296 will be offered to anyone willing to purchase it, Ferrari is confident that first time buyers will order one so long as it simply looks like a Ferrari.

22. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Its all in the Ferrari website under new models dimensions and weights

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Guess evo is wrong?

24. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    #100 john Owen, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Evo compared 296 dry with F8 wet weight.

296 GTB
    • Length4565 mm
    • Width1958 mm
    • Height1187 mm
    • Wheelbase2600 mm
    • Front track1665 mm
    • Rear track1632 mm
    • Dry weight***1470 kg
    • Dry weight/power ratio1.77 kg/cv
    • Weight distribution40.5 % front / 59.5 % rear
    • Fuel tanks capacity65 litres
    F8 Tributo