The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film | FerrariChat

The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Two hours into probably a 12 hour job. I’m using a plastic scraper and steam. Whether I go back with more PPF is up for discussion. I like PPF because you don’t have to respray the front every few years. And my car isn’t stuck in some body shop gathering dust for two months while they scratch their heads.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5, VAF84 and Skidkid like this.
  2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Did you rent the steamer or buy it?

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I bought it at Walmart for $14.99 but I'll lease it to you for $1 a day when I'm done. :D

psych0hans and greg328 like this.
  4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I thought there was a special steamer needed for this kind of stuff (just guessing), so you are using a clothing steamer for Walmart? That is good to know I have the original 11 year old PPF on mine and do want to remove it soon.

Are you planning on doing your own PPF install when you take off the old one or are you having someone do it? I had a pro do my GT3 both times, but when I had a Mini Cooper S, I did that one myself.

Cheers,
    Corey

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    yes it's just a cheap steamer. You can use a heat gun as well, but you run the risk of ruining paint doing that, as I understand it. My next issue will be what solvent to use to remove the glue from the film. Obviously I don't want to hurt the car paint. I used a full bottle of Goo Gone to get it off of the lights. Maybe some paint and body guys can weigh in on what is safe and not safe to use.

I might actually attempt the PPF myself. It's cheap and if you screw it up, just peel it off and do it again until you get it right. Undecided on that right now. Everyone wants to take your head off to install PPF and it doesn't appear to be all that difficult.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    On the goo remover... yes body shop supply stores sell a gallon of Pre paint, Prep Sol, etc. for about 24.99 that will safely remove the glue residue. Probably won't need the whole gallon of course but its good to have for removal of sap, road tar, etc., down the line.

Good on you for using steam. I removed my PPF with my professional steamer. The PPF was on the car when I bought it and I left it on for 2 more years. At that point I felt it was time to get it off since I had no idea how long it had been on there. And you are correct, using a heat gun is very risky. Steam is foolproof.

I chose not to reapply the PPF. I don't like how it shows some funky texture that looks like orange peel in the paint. Plus when you wax the car it tends to get on the edge of the film and leaves a white line. Not real noticeable but extra time in detailing if it bothers you. But to add, my car has had paint work and with my talents and my shop I can easily respray or touch up stuff-- no big deal. Applying the stuff yourself is kind of a PIA and it takes a lot of patience. I did it once in my shop for a guy and I swore I would never do it again. Dust is your biggest enemy. Trying to get the stuff down without some sort of impurities is tough. But in all fairness, I was using the 3M film years ago. There's probably more forgiving and easier products to use now.

All the best of luck to ya...
    Ken

psych0hans likes this.
  7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Ken I think I'm going to not go back with PPF for the reasons you mention. Worst case is the front end needs some touch up in 10 years. I don't drive on the highways or a lot of every day driving, so a rock chip in the paint on the hood or fenders just isn't going to happen very often. (knocking on my wood table here).

I've burned 4.5 hours and a bit over halfway done getting the film off. Then the residue. Then the front one third of the hood. :confused:

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It can also remove your clearcoat...

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I used a steamer as well and 3m adhesive remover, bought a gallon of that stuff. Used only about a 3rd though.

Once you get it started, keep the steam in front of your pulling direction, works pretty well

10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Glad you were successful. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will give it a go or hire someone. The whole front end is covered in 3m, and it looks like it was installed shortly after the original purchase. I doubt I'll reapply 3m, going forward. I don't drive the car enough to warrant it. Also, my car is silver, so the chips won't be as obvious as they would on a dark colored car.

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Oh gosh...what is "it"?

12. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The PPF I believe. There are lots of stories of old PPF being removed and taking sections of clearcoat and even paint with them. I have no idea how true these are but it seems possible to me. YMMV

anunakki and ryalex like this.
  13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    No issues yet. I'm just taking it slow and not trying to force anything. The clearcoat looks to be perfect. There was one little blemish where I was concerned paint might come off, but it turned out to be a heavy blemish in the film and not a thing on the paint. Happy day!

14. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Good to hear. Happy day for sure! May it all come off for you with no ill affect.

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yep. I know of one $8-9k hood repaint when the PPF came off. Maybe they'll share their story...

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    PPF has progressed in terms of its longevity and ease of removal. Just my opinion, but having a new PPF installed seems like a good idea. It's, as you say, better than having the car getting a suntan at a paint shop.

Best of luck with the removal. You're a brave man removing it yourself.

Ray

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If they paid $9K to repaint a hood, they got it in the rear end with no reach around. Three or four times.

ryalex, VAF84 and Skidkid like this.
  18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
  19. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I have a VX 5000 steamer from Vapor Systems and it's done a great job with old window tint in the past. For any residue left over I use Stoners Tarminator. I'm planning to use the same approach on my old clear film and hoping it ends up being a somewhat manageable job.

Do you have plastic razor blades? They would be a good addition to your plastic scraper in getting some of this stuff off.

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #21 Husker, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Got it all off. There is a VERY SLIGHT line between where the film was and the rest of the body. Almost indiscernable, but I'm picky. It almost appears that I still have PPF on, but without the orange peel! I'll have to live with it a few days. I might do some gentle wet sanding and then buff it out.

I still have the hood portion (about one third of the hood) to go but should be a lot easier removal.

I asked the dude at Lowes about plastic razor blades and he looked at me and said "Um razor blades are made of metal." :D

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    When I removed the PPF on my California is took sections fo the paint off. Had to have the car repainted. Film was only ~6 years old

ryalex likes this.
  22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that no good

anunakki likes this.
  23. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Did you use steam or a heat gun to remove the PPF? Or did you have someone else remove it?

anunakki likes this.
  24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had a shop remove it. Was a nightmare.