The BORA | Page 32 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof

Hello Bora enthusiasts,
    even if this question is already a bit older, I would like to briefly shed light on the matter. There are exactly two boras with this indicated central locking hubcaps, while the rims stayed the same. Bora # 312 and Bora # 330, ( I do own currently # 330). Both Boras were delivered by Thepenier in France and were owned by Mns. Stouff, since 1973. Presumably at the request of Mns. Stouff, both Boras were later individually equipped with these central locking hubcaps by the dealer Thepenier. Current correspondence with Fabio Collina from the Maserati Classic Department in Modena proves, that no Bora has left the factory with such hubcaps

Best regards,
    Christof
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Brilliant!
    Always wondered about the genesis of these locking hubcaps on the Bora.

Thank you.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I sold Bora 330 to a friend of mine in October 2015 from the south of France to Germany and it had those unusual lug nuts. Here it is with another (don't know chassis number), pretending to be Pacific islands:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't say that it's a good look. I have spinners on my Espada and those are nice lookers but a total PITA as a practical matter. I just finished thanking a member on the vintagelamborghini website for his contribution on this topic. He has a lovely website dedicated to Espadas. This is how he deals with knockoffs.

https://www.lamborghiniespada.com/2020/04/30/review-knock-off-spinner-tool-from-oldtimertools-de/

I have a homemade, not by me, socket I bought from someone. My car has only 30K on it but after almost fifty years the hammer was little more than a mashed lump of lead with some splinters left from the handle. I always used the socket and carry a ginormous torque wrench with a steel pipe slip over piece to extend the handle. Like I said a real PITA compared to lugnuts.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof

Yeah! This ist he car - it is still in Germay and is undergoing a sensible restauration. But even after restoring those hubcaps, it looks ab bit like a little tractor wheel, wheather I just sandblasted and polisched the wheel or coatetd it. So I decided to refit the rostyle caps - fortunately, I was able to find used caps in the U.S.
    Of course, the Center-locks will be carfully stored.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044, boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi guys. I’m about to have the seats on my 1978 redone. Any trick in removing them, the fronts are so close to the floor I can’t see any bolts to remove. Thanks. Jim.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Take a look at the parts manual

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The driver's seat hinges on those two #8 pieces. You remove clip 10 and pull 7 and then the seat come out. Most cars have what looks like a small 8 ball on the end of that shaft. Mine was missing. I don't recognize what they have for seat 1. I think mine has a tab in front that slides firmly under a fixture on the floor and there are two screws at the rear on each side. Maybe there 's more than one version?

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    1978 Bora? What is the vin number?

9. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lgs, MK1044, 71Satisfaction and 2 others like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    car looks great. While all late Boras were designated as 1977, a lot were built well into 1978. Given that period of time was very tumultuous at Maserati between the DeTomaso takeover, the factory fire, plus the political upheavals and energy crisis, I’d guess that #990 was a late 1977 build.

12. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I won #1000 and it was definitely built in 1978 but the factory listed it as a 1977 in order to be able to sell it in the United States and avoid changing pollution rules.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    the last 2 production Boras #1046 & #1048 were built in Oct 78. Still trying to locate the current owner of #1046.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    As promised by September 15 deadline: the BORA CINQUANTA event is not feasible in 2021 due to Covid infections rising again all over Europe, the number of known Boras in running condition being low, the obvious low percentage expectancy of participation among these due to Covid financial losses and infection concerns about travel.
    Those who know how much work is involved in creating such an event understand and every opinion leader I spoke to this weekend at a major event agreed: postpone and succeed at a later, more propitious date.

KHAMSIN CINQUANTA will happen in 2022 so I can organise a major International Bora event in 2023.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #790 boralogist, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Gentlemen---

Urgently need a new or used but perfect AC pulley for the Bora---don't care whether w/ or w/out clutch.
    Any leads much appreciated.
    TIA

16. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine was already discarded @ 3,000 miles by the previous owner. Toolkit missing too. Go figure. That battery compartment and the difficulty getting it closed plus the legroom it steals along with the clutch reservoir are the biggest pains in the ass about this car. The rest is fantastic though. It's like having a fantastically beautiful wife there has to be something ... Or so I've heard .... :p ;)

Good luck Tom.

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I find getting to the Bora battery quite easy and not a bad design. The battery slides out in its tray making it easy to disconnect or remove. The tray has some rollers, if I recall. On a Ghibli you first need to remove all the stuff out of your trunk and then remove the heavy spare tire, just to get access to the battery; a real pain.

Tom: I'll pull my battery out and get you some photos of the tray.

Ivan

19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    shall we discuss removing the battery from a Khamsin?

71Satisfaction likes this.
  20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It is a very simple metal tray the size of the bottom of the battery. Below are photos of the top and bottom of the tray. Inside the car's battery cavity there should be four plastic rollers for the tray to slide in and out. Make sure the rollers move freely. I think an universal plastic battery tray would work just as well as long as the bottom side of the tray is smooth.

Ivan

21. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes. FWIW, from the factory, all 4 sides of pic 1 above is covered w/thick black rubber trim for the battery to sit on.

22. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    Thank you Ivan.
    So what holds this tray and battery in place to keep it from moving?

23. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Nothing! The locking front panel is it!

24. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M
    ok thanks,
    What could possibly go wrong? :)

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The battery cables keep the battery from flying out of the cavity. :) On my Bora there is nothing that keeps the battery from going vertical. While I do expect to take a dip that fast where the battery goes airborne, putting a piece a wood on top of the battery to keep it from touching the metal above it sound s like a prudent thing to do.

Ivan

mullin and Froggie like this.