The BORA | Page 44 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I tried Mobil 1 15w-50 (full synthetic) on the Ghibli and had more oil leaks and went back to 20W-50. Having an oil with a thin properties such as 10W or 15W is more important if you are starting the engine when it is cold. Even in winter when it is very cold outside (like today) it is seldom below 60 F (16C) when I start a car in the garage.
    Ivan

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    there is no other oil that should be put into a vintage Italian car.

3. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    My 1973 US Bora 4.9 had 4x 215s... Used up alas... would definitely appreciate knowing what modern tyres to use, preferably as available in SoCal.

Bob.. could you re-iterate re your use of 0.25" spacers at the rear? Full discussion as you are able, may recall please.
    I'd had ambitions to put wide 60s back there. I drive it rather hard and want both fun and safety. It steers and brakes well. Engine is 'lively'.
    Underneath there's fully renewed steering, suspension rubber everywhere, brakes, shocks, ball-joints, CVs... just a few thousand miles on all such.
    Jacques had a special going awhile back and I couldn't resist. Topside is still full patina though.

There's a lot of theory and conjecture everywhere, but a full objective report from actual real-life experience would be MOST welcome.
    I don't want to make it look out of character, but also not wanting XWX's again. Avons??

It's been awhile since I looked at clearances inside the rear wheel-wells to see if there's width enough.
    Your opinion could definitely help, especially as to what I might need to check for potential scraping/interference...

Ned

PS... also re what definitely NOT to do
    Thanks.

Froggie and 71Satisfaction like this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hi Ned,
    Unless I'm misunderstanding your situation, it shouldn't matter where you are located, tire suppliers ship anywhere, and the two suppliers below offered free shipping.

1.) I bought a set of reproduction 215/70 Pirelli CN12 Cinturatos from Longstone Tyres in the UK for our Bora. I'm using the same size on all corners. I keep them at 34psi cold. They have been good and grippy for some aggressive driving, I've never had them break loose unpredictably in hard cornering. I've had them up to 140mph on open stretches of track, and happy with their stability. On very hard driving, the rear tires have scrubbed the inside of the wheel tubs a few times. Is that why 1/4" spacers are used at the rear? https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/maserati/bora.html

2.) For our Khamsin, I bought modern 215/70 Vredestein Sprint Classics, also on all corners. I can't offer a fair comparison of grip performance, I haven't pushed the Khamsin nearly as far as the Bora on its CN12s, but the road feel is good and I think the Vredesteins are quieter.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Sprint+Classic&partnum=17WR5SC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here is a side-to-side photo of the Vredesteins on the left, Pirellis on the right. Note how different the width of their contact surfaces are.

I'm sure others will offer their experiences too.
    Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 and Froggie like this.
  5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh lord please let us not start a which is the best oil thread. Over here it frequently boils down to what's available. I have a couple of turbo cars so I gravitated to synthetic a long time ago. I use that in all my modern cars as well. I've never seen anything other than 50 weight mentioned for the vintage Maseratis. The W rating is not very relevant for wars that aren't going to be operating in cold weather.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You had rubbing in the rear with 215/70 tires? I only got that with the 245 (WO spacers) and 255 (even with the spaces) but that was a track tire.
    Even with the same generic sizing the actual dimensions of the tires can vary a lot as you just observed.
    BTW those factory ridges inside the rear wheel wells are pretty dam nifty aren't they. What a great way to prevent dangerous damage to a tire.
    Such an amazingly well engineered car in so many little ways. Other ways like cooling ... not so much! :p

7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Art,
    Thank you for these useful pictures.
    Even on the Longstone site, they do not mention the tread width of the tyres.

I believe that is a very important element to choose tyres that are adapted to vintage cars.
    Actually, Dougal is always stating that it is important to have a tyre that has a rounder section for vintage cars, enabling a progressive ripping in fast cornering.

From what you show, the Vred, which has a smaller tread width and a rounder section would be more appropriate in terms of profile for vintage cars (not necessarily the Bora but other older vintages).
    Of course the geometric specs are not enough to judge, other elements such as construction, rubber, etc. are obviously very important...

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ned, just another quick note: Scroll or Page back to comment number 1011 to read a discussion on Bora tires, tire sizes and see if the information there is helpful to your decision.

My pleasure,
    Yes, I think I'd agree. Visually, the Vred is taller and narrower, more like the classics. Now that I know the tires have different footprints, I think I'm subconsciously biased in favor of the (wider) Pirelli CN12s. They both have well-rounded edge sections, so I'd think they'd both break away progressively. I just haven't yet pushed the Khamsin that far.

Cheers,
    - Art

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry that I missed seeing this post for so long.
    I think there are a couple of companies producing the 245-60V/Z15 tires though I haven't looked in over 2 years. Yes I beleive Avon is one of them.
    As has already been mention on here tires with identical sizing designations actually do vary in size once mounted and measured. So I can only reply what fit well and worked well many a moon ago.
    Back then there was a decided move away from the XWX tires as they had a tendency to breakaway suddenly WO warning and they road much harder than the newer technology (for back then) 60 series tires from both Michelin XGT and Goodyear Gatorback tires. I don't know about the XWX tires being sold now as they may have improved them since?

I ran with 235s in the front which does make the steering a bit heavier but I want as big a contact patch as I could get. Those do rub on the anti sway bar arm up front on full lock but they clear just fine at slightly off of full lock. That arm is aluminum and the worst that happens is a bit of polishing. Nothing worth mentioning happens to the tires .
    In the rear I ran 245s but I had to use 1/4" spacers which leave enough clearance and enough threading of the wheel bolts. Lots of Bora owner did this and there was never a problem that I ever heard of.
    It does make the car take on a more aggressive stance. Back then my impression was that it transformed the car into a bit more comfortable and very sharp handling car.

When I took the car to the track for a couple of years, only for 2 days a year, I tried the Goodrich Comp T/A R1 tires which were a track only, shaved tire utilized on Corvettes for racing.
    Those came in a 255-15ZR60 and because they were a bit narrower in the cross section than other brands in the 255. So they did fit but only on the smooth track. On bumpy roads they would squeak going around a turn hard as they rubbed on those lovely inner fender ribs which Ing. Alfieri so thoughtfully placed there. Mine got polished pretty well. I wouldn't suggest you get tires in that size.

That tire (in the rear only) was an anomaly in it's design as it was purposely constructed specifically for the Corvettes in vintage racing. The inner sidewall flexed a lot more than the outer which allowed for a contact patch to remain horizontal to the road as the car swam a bit in the sidewalls like a parallelogram going hard around turns. Goodrich had a long white paper at the time describing how this all worked. I'd bet that is what caused the characteristic squeak on tight road turns with a bump . Those tires were fantastic on a Bora at the track because even though it still leaned like hell when pushed through the tighter turns I could actually drift the Bora controllably through the infield section of that track. That's only time I've been able to do that. Eventually I stopped taking the Bora to the track and bought a dedicated track car.

So those are my experiences. Good luck and have fun.

10. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal

11. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    Thanks to all for considering these issues yet once more and responding from your own experiences and opinions.

Other non-related issues have slowed my actions lately, but Art's comparisons of first hand knowledge most helpful.
    And Bob as well but perhaps especially re the inner-well ridges and the spacers. Now I won't worry as much if there's grazing
    AND will experiment with the spacers just for looks and the fun of it all. I don't track anything these days but drive 'enthusiastically'
    (and probably overrevvingly sometimes) and just didn't want to do anything truly stupid.

Weather here is about to encourage more of all that, and I'm trying to prepare reasonably.

Again, thanks especially to all those who drive 'em.
    Best regards,
    Ned

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ned I took a brief look at English racing tires and I thought Avon was who had some sizes in race tires but I didn't see anything. Perhaps it was someone else. But there are R rated 215-70-15 tires out there for far less money than the vintage aftermarket and the load rating on them is fine. Is 130 MPH enough for you? I know vintage Lamborghini v12 owners who use them.

13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  14. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    That was for sure a garage queen:

"its odometer currently displays just 801 miles at time of cataloguing—a figure commensurate with its remarkably well-preserved condition. In fact, both its driver and passenger door cards are covered with protective plastic!

In September 2021, the car a received lengthy list of maintenance and repairs including, but not limited to, engine belt replacement, oil and filter change, new fuel hoses and filter, and brake system service. Invoice copies for this work, carried out by Autosprint Limited of Chicago, Illinois at a cost of over $10,500, are on file."

Not sure that the recent service performed will be enough to allow riding this car without other issues progressively coming out...

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    ...While actual mileage is unknown, its odometer currently displays just 801 miles at time of cataloguing...;)

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Amazing price!

17. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #1092 boralogist, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    ...for basically the worst spec---aesthetically as well as performance wise---Bora money can buy...:confused:

PS anybody sensing an MC20 shadow here?

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes astute observation, very possible that someone wants both in his garage, that would be a great trend actually.

19. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    That was the car that Jerry Bensinger had for sale back in 2011. It has been talked about on this site. One issue is that Jerry had provided all of the documentation for the car including books and tools. Its hard to believe but all of that has been "lost" in the 11 years and 3 miles that the car has traveled since Jerry sold it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    thanks for posting, Memory isn’t what it used to be. it is a time capsule car, thus an anomaly and not reflective of a sudden surge in Bora and Maserati values. Note the other Maseratis that were offered from the big 3 auctions. Neither Ghibli broke 200k (1 no sale), the 5000GT sold at 924k, a Sebring S1 no sale at 105k.

for the Bora the benchmark has always been a Ferrari Boxer. 3 crossed the block in AZ. 2 no sales at 200k and 255k. 1 sale 263k at World Wide Auctions.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  21. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
  23. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Great catch!
    Even by our standards that would be beyond ridiculous!

But...;)

24. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
  25. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge