The BORA | Page 52 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Agree Bob.
    No ashtray in centre console. It also doesn't have that fresh just restored look..
    In this lies the problem why sometimes the price achieved is disappointing when the description does not truly reflect the condition and or the originality.
    Still worth keeping an eye on it to see the result.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh it wasn't just the wing nuts either. Someone might have thought about vacuuming the carpets! The steering wheel was so devoid of black color that it almost looked brown.
    It makes you wonder just how much was actually done in this incredible restoration as described as thusly:

"A ‘no expense spared restoration’ and owned by the same family for 50 years, this exceptional Maserati Bora 4.7 litre was clearly a very treasured member of the family, for it has had over £150,000 lavished on it as part of a three-year restoration programme.

The history file is remarkable by the sheer volume of invoices for work done between 2015-2018 by the respected restorers Kent High Performance Cars, formerly known as The Ferrari Centre of Maidstone. What started as a restoration estimated at nearly £50,000 tripled to a final cost of £150,000 to ensure that every tiny detail was addressed. It would take pages to itemise the work and be easier to say what has not been done to this car, but it would be difficult to find an example in such superb condition had you walked into the Maserati showroom in Slough back in November 1975 when the car was brand new.

With a full engine and mechanical rebuild; complete body restoration and repaint to its original colour (silver); complete trim in Connolly hides to Maserati Vaumol specification and fully detailed, the list goes on. This is surely one of the finest examples available in todays market and is gushingly attractive and has the performance to match. However, it is important to note that the engine, since its rebuild, has developed a misfire, causing it to backfire when running, which has not been properly investigated. Offered without reserve, this presents itself as a very attractive investment.

We recommend interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the condition of the lot prior to sale."

So they didn't even fine tune it either. At last sentence must have been born out of a pang of guilt by the author. ;) :p

The writer of this description should work in politics crafting speeches.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Dear Ivan,

may I ask you something.

You sold a nice Maserati Ghibli through BAT.

The buyer was JJW007

Looking at the history of JJW007, I wonder if this is a real buyer.

JJW007 wins auctions on BAT almost daily/weekly.

Kind regards

Zdenek :)

4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That silver Bora has been on sale in the UK for nearly 2 years I would guess. Most recently at the Old Racing Car Company. It was priced somewhere round about £220k or slightly above IIRC.
    It will be interesting to see what it brings at auction but I suspect that the vendors may be slightly disappointed, which is how they also maybe feel after their £150k ‘nut and bolt’ restoration!

I hope it exceeds my expectations. We shall see…….

best to all.

Mark

wbaeumer and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    He is real and a very nice guy.

Ivan

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think a lot of the problem is the presentation for those not very inspiring photos. How hard is it to replace the wingnuts and have the car detailed.

7. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014

Hello Ivan,

this is really amazing.

o_O

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Buon giorno tutti,

PART WANTED: An OEM Bora air filter box. Kindly PM me if anyone has one on offer.. Mine is perfectly functional, but it's a replacement box, probably from a QP, without the "inward trumpet" intake pipes that the Bora's has. Been wanting to replace it for, oh, about 10 years.. I figure it's time to start looking for one.

Grazie,
    - Art

9. Cairndog

Cairndog Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Iain Cairney
    I bought an F430 from them that could probably do with an engine restoration as it’s a leaking crud covered heap. I’d get a PDI if they were selling me pair of trousers to confirm the arse wasn’t hanging out the back. Not falling for the ‘don’t get a PDI and save the money instead’ line. They have big windows.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Maybe but it’s still a pretty Low price for a car in that condition

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that's just it ... what is it's condition? Hard to really tell from the auction listing
    There's so much that's unknown and or questionable. I guess this is what happens when a seller doesn't specify and presents the car the way they did.
    Yeah maybe someone got a bargain or it's a 20-30 footer that's never really been fettled?

14. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Have you tried?:
    Campana Onorio s.r.l. a Socio Unico
    via Tito Livio, 60
    41123 Modena, ITALIA
    ☎️ +39059828079
    www.campanaonorio.it

Silvia Vaccari ([email protected]) has been very helpful in the past.

Best,
    Art

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If you email Silvia, be sure to email the part number.

I would also suggest calling McGrath

71Satisfaction and ANF289 like this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It should be obvious that the UK right hand drive market is totally distinct from the European or US market. It has always been and always will be.

This car has clearly been restored very comprehensively BUT this misfire issue not being handled is very poor form and did not help the sale; clearly a messy way to bring a car to market.

But beyond this those not in the Uk should be aware of two problems that have plagued the market in the last couple of years: Covid of course and even more so the harebrained Brexit disaster which has hurt the UK economy and countless entrepreneurs hugely and will continue to do so hence the UK market has been very slow with very few classic Maserati sales in the last two years as confirmed to me by Andy Heywood of McGraths every time we speak on the phone.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh? Where's the evidence in that presentation. Caveat Emptor once again. Wing nuts on the air cleaner OMFG. If the car is really as good as you suggest someone with half a brain should have never approved of that listing in the auction or pulled the car out.

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Breaking away from the Central Planners in Brussels was one of the best things the Brits have done in decades.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not really the place for that discussion but I think we all know that the UK has suffered from economic and political upheaval hence the devaluation of the pound so why sell this there now and present the car so poorly to boot?

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    yea the car was presented poorly, maybe you lose 10-15%, not 50%.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is the reaction of a very knowledgeable and multiple classic Maserati owner English friend of mine who inspected the car and its file exhaustively, actually bid on it:

"I saw the discussion about the Bora at Historics on FCHat - as usual a lot of people spouting nonsense without seeing the car, which I did. It looked to be restored very well, and all the photos and invoices were there to prove it. Disappointingly it had no history at all pre-2012. My impression was that they committed to the resto at great expense, couldn't back out and had to finish it off. According to the detailed invoices, on completion and getting it running, it developed a fuelling issue that the garage who they were using couldn't diagnose - 100's of hours were documented trying to solve whatever issue there is, but it had good compression etc. However, at no time did they contact McGrath, Emblem etc, who I'm confident could sort it quite easily. I actually bid up to about 90k (possibly looking to replace the Khamsin!!) but in reality I want (and the market prefers) a later Euro LHD 4.9 in a juicy colour. The silver is a bit flat IMHO. It actually looked really. really good - it's just the photos they took which let it down in the brochure. Same old story."

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sounds like loads of "work" was done by a shop that didn't fully know what it was doing. :(
    I am sympathetic because as a total amateur on the car at the time I had a real SOB ignition issue back in the early 1990s which I misdiagnosed as a carburation problem. Once I had the carbs bench flow tested in LA while the Rodney King riots were raging around the shop it still took me a while to figure out what it was. Having access to a really good engine electrical analyzer and mechanic might have spotted the issue much sooner but I eventually got there. They should have tried to rush it over to one of the better shops, assuming this wasn't one of them. I hope the new owner does because this is the sort of issue that mistakenly gives a car a very bad reputation and makes people want to give up. I feel bad for the seller as it looks like that's what happened.

Yes silver & black isn't a favorite with me either for this car and anyone who's seen the Boras on this website in those great colors like Greg G's car might agree.

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I tend to agree that one of the better known Maserati shops in the UK could sort the silver car fairly quickly, and dare I say, economically. Let’s hope it gets done soon. Silver on a Bora I find just tends to reduce the impact of the amazing stainless roof, which is surely one of its unique attributes.
    Here is a car coming up for auction at Bonhams in the next couple of days which I think could do very well. It seems to have been loved and cared for properly by the right people, is LHD and in a superb colour combination (IMHO). What’s not to love?

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/27525/lot/133/1972-maserati-bora-47-litre-berlinetta-chassis-no-am117-432/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1300 staatsof, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    The estimate if you're the seller!
    Boralogist would be having a coronary over these prices if he were still around. So maybe the Moderator did him a favor? ;)

Wrong nuts on the air filter again. Is this so difficult? Easily rectified. Looks like a different air cleaner housing than mine has though. That's harder to rectify. What is it with Brits and dirty carpets for auction photos? ;) :p

Very nice colors and the write up on it's operation is very encouraging! LHD too!