The BORA | Page 56 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    You absolute legends, thanks

2. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    So, any Bora owners near me?

I’m in the South of England, Southampton.

Would love to find someone local with one so I can get some pics.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a further thought on this in regards to the steering. They didn't mention it but perhaps that electric steering kit has been added to this car? I watched a Harry's garage about his Countach QV being overhauled and they talked about removing the EZEE Steer system. He apparently doesn't like it. As I understand the functioning of this system it's very tunable from the driver's seat and can be completely turned oh so unless it's getting physically in the way in some manner I don't get? With the Bora all of that massive hydraulic pedal mechanism might make for a situation just like that? Ivan has this on one of his cars I beleive?

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Yes, the Iso Grifo has the EZ electric power steering. The unit is connected to the speedometer cable and will reduce the amount of "boost" as speed increases. I also installed an on/off toggle switch. It is a great unit and should work great in a Bora, assuming space allows for its installation.

Ivan

6. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Art
    RE: #1378
    Tape measure in inches. White ruler in inches/cm. Resolution if copied or downloaded should he high enough to easily see.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Right I think I have the rad sorted can any of you kind chaps tell me what the coolant header tank is like. From the drawings it looks like a metal cylinder with the cap at one end on top and 4 inlet/outlets?

Is it metal or plastic?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's nickel plated brass and it sits in that small compartment behind the passenger's head that's in the engine bay.
    You're missing that too?

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Not looked there so maybe it’s there!

10. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Where does the AC condenser sit, in front of the rad or somewhere else?

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    in front.

12. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof
    Good morning Gentlemen, some time ago - while restoration - I did rebuild the Bora engine. The only new piston rings and oil scraper rings we found and used, looked thinner and weaker than the original rings and now I'm consuming more oil than usual. I would like to install more stable and thicker rings, like the originals were. Does anyone have a good idea where to buy these or does know where there might be NOS piston rings.

Thank you and best regards,
    Christof

13. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    I don’t have that, the lines or the dryer

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Christof,

I hope you are well.

One who has done a lot of work to improve reliability and quality in engine parts is Leo Peschl in Koeln: tell him I suggested you call and discuss this with him, I am sure he will have a solution for you.

https://www.leo-peschl.de/

15. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof
    Hi Marc, that's a good idea. You have described his achievement well in your Classiche Masters book. I'll email him and ask him to help me. However, when I last spoke to him I got the impression, that he wants to do all the work in his workshop and not just sell individual parts
    Best regards, Christof

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He is a bit of a Taliban in that sense yes but keep pressing him. In the end if you just need piston rings and he won't sell them speak with Candini and McGraths. Trident in France as well as owner BG has THREE Boras.

17. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Art
    Claus Groth in the MOCNA Technical Reference Library reported that the DeLorean coolant expansion tank was identical in length and diameter to the Bora unit.

https://store.delorean.com/101944a-coolant-overflow-tank-stainless.html

It looks like significant modifications to the main inlet/outlet and mounting brackets are required.

18. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Yes I have already seen that there are a lot of similarities with the DMC. Tank looks the same but mounting is different so not identical.

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can use a generic dryer it's hidden away out of sight. You should switch to modern AC lines anyway if you're going to use a more modern refrigerant like 134a which is also now obsolete.

There's a line that goes from the upper right corner of the radiator, up the A pillar, then over the roof and down into that compartment. Do some searching/reading on here about the foibles and suggestions regarding this design.

20. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Ok noted. I take it the dryer usually sits left side of the front hatch behind the carpet box?

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As I recall there's a sort of triangular, removable panel that has holes in it with grommets to protect hoses. Hey it's been 25 years since I had that stuff apart. Mint has the vented hood/bonnet that hinges from the front. That's a very different configuration from the non vented but I think all the stuff is still in that location. Horn compressor, relays for the headlamps as well.

22. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hello again. I hope you’re making progress on the radiator. I’ve just spotted that Pasquale at Coppola old timer has a Merak window regulator listed here:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1449010

I just checked and it’s the same part number as a Bora. Maybe he has the other side and some glass too. He’s very good to deal with from previous experience getting Ghibli parts.
    Hope that helps.
    Mark.

highwaybora likes this.
  23. Conaero

Conaero Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Chichester
    Full Name:
    Matthew Yates
    Cheers Mark I will take a look

24. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal

25. highwaybora

highwaybora Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    SoCal
    NICE.. can always use good sources for these rare bits of glass, and 'regulators' etc.
    NE / HighwayBoras