The Daytona is not loved. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The Daytona is not loved.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Aug 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #251 jimpo1, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I like the thread but there is a theme that always seems to permeate this one an most of the others (in general) on the site; and it is “I paid $$$$, and hope it will be worth $$$$ someday” or “Why are prices coming down and when will they pick up?”; and very few statements like “I love DRIVING and ENJOYING my car” and/or “Hope to have it the rest of my life with me”.

It is troubling to see most people only seem to view a Ferrari as an investment and not as a beautiful car to be enjoyed.

Just my humble opinion. ;)

3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    This proves my previous statement..... :(

4. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Whilst I tend to agree and have added my thoughts on the brilliance of driving MY Daytona, rather than comment about values. The direction of the thread does rather tend to be set by the initiator, and this thread is specifically about various model values and the (low?) value of the Daytona in comparison. So for this thread, you really are only getting the expected.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #255 swift53, Nov 18, 2012
  6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    no it doesn't, it just proves that people have different opinions.

I have little interest in owning a GTC, I find a Daytona much more exciting to drive. I happen to dislike wood dashboards, so prefer the Daytona's interior.

A Daytona is not a complex car, it's actually mechanically simple and rugged. I've owned a single cam V12, I find the Daytona easier to maintain.

I'm also helping a buddy with a nut & bolt restoration of a 308GTB at the moment, the vent hoses under the dash are a nightmare. I have had the dash removed and refitted in less than a day in my Daytona, so far I've spent 3 days assembling the 308 dash and it's still far from finished!

7. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Noted! ;)

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If I've not made the statements about enjoying the car you refer too on this thread then I certainly have on other threads. My Daytona has been in my family 38 years and I have no plans to sell ever.

For the most part I have no interest in the values of my car other than when it comes to agreeing a value for the annual insurance renewal. Having said that owning a Daytona is an expensive hobby, and a pure indulgence, so it is occasionally nice psychologically to justify to myself that it is an appreciating asset should a disaster arrive and I'm forced to sell the car :(

9. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I have to agree with you there. I've driven my Daytonas many times from than San Francisco Bay Area to the LA area (500 plus miles each way) and to Lake Tahoe. Not once has a Daytona left me stranded and I wasn't beat up at the end of the journey. My Miura SV on the other hand was so bad my wife finally refused to get in the car because I was always making some roadside repair to get it home. Like others on this thread, I've owned various cars from 250 Spyder Californias, 250 PF Cabriolets (I & II), 4cams, 330 GTCs, F40s, 288s, Enzo, Lusso, etc. and the Daytona is my favorite pre-1974 Ferrari to bomb around in on the road. They're reliable torque monsters that fit tall people well.

That all said, my GMC Yukon is more comfortable to drive to LA than the Daytona. I guess I'm getting old.....

Steve

10. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I see that ultimate car page dot com recently posted a 36 photo article on the Daytona comp coupe...

11. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    So many choices, so little time.
    Daytonas are always loved but as fashions change so do prices.
    My way of determining value is asking myself what I would swap for the car of interest (say Daytona in this instance). I am not selling or swapping so it is just a mind game to determine my version of what is under priced and what is overpriced in the market today. In that scenario I view the Daytona as overpriced at the moment, but I still love the car.
    The equations get more complicated when you can afford to have more than one toy.
    For the price of a Daytona just look at what else is available, both within the Ferrari marque and then outside.
    Thank God we are all different.

12. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I saw a beautiful yellow convertible yesterday and again today in Santa Barbara. It had Arizona plates. Just incredible how striking it was.

13. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    The Daytona just doesn't get the respect that they deserve.

There are very few collector cars that are as much fun as a Daytona on a rally for the price. They are incredibly fast, comfortable, the a/c sometimes work, but don't ever try to parallel park one!

A 4cam Porsche, roughly in the same price range for example, won't hold a candle to a Daytona on a high speed run. Yes, there were over 1,200 made which has impaired price increases (though they have doubled in value over the last 5/6 years), and they are not fun to drive around town.

Beauty is in the eye of the observer, but having had a Daytona and a 330 GTS I don't the 330GTS is 3x the car of a Daytona, though the price is. I am also amazed that there have been Dinos selling at higher prices recently. Daytona coupes are a lot more volatile in pricing, again probably due to the amount of them, having traded as high as $1mm in '90 and then as low as the 150's around 2001 (talking about Platinum cars).

They are wonderful cars!

14. 72group4

72group4 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    Great White North
    I am not sure that the price of many collector cars is rational.

15. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    It appears thru other threads that Daytona prices are on the rise again ,can anyone shed light on this with actual transactions? I have noticed there are not the number of Daytonas for sale as last year.. I think I'll keep mine..Chuck

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    In French, but a good Daytona video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gxaqg2nqH4[/ame]

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #267 IanB, Jan 12, 2013
    i've just fitted the EZ Power Steering kit to my RHD Daytona. I did this after satisfying myself that it is easily reversible and doesn't rob the car of steering feel.

It took 2 days to install, with only one minor die grinder cut out on the side of the pedal box. The kit includes a new shorter steering column, which is beautifully made, as is the whole kit.

The result is unobtrusive, both in appearance and driving. Steering feel is barely affected, in fact there remains a certain amount of heft, which is just right. My estimate is 50% less effort at parking speed reducing to 20% at 50mph. I haven't done a highway run yet, but I understand there is no assistance at all above 60mph. The speed sensitivity computer is seamless in operation and the rate of reduction is judged perfectly. These guys have obviously done a lot of testing in Daytonas!

For around-town driving, the car is transformed from hard work to delightful - the primary "why a Daytona is not loved" factor is eliminated at a stroke!

ps. I'm not associated with EZ in any way, just a happy customer. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1- likes this.
  18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Interesting, my Dad has fitted an EZ system to his Autokraft chopped Daytona (16735) and was less impressed. Although there is a significant reduction in steering weight the steering wasn't self centering as it should. The EZ people have recommended altering the camber on the wheels and (to their credit) they are going to send someone from the factory to check the installation. Not sure if that's happened yet though.

With the current terrible weather I've not had a chance to drive it yet and try and draw some comparisons with my Daytona Berlinetta with a Ferrari 400 Pas unit installed.

19. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Fitting power sterring to a Daytona strikes me as nothing short of sacrilege. Yes the steerring is heavy as parking speeds but anything above one mile an hour and it is manageable. I guess there were more real men forty years ago.

20. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    +1
    Use the steering when the car is rolling:)

21. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    IanB i sent you a pm

22. scargo70

scargo70 Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    how much does it cost to install power steering on Daytona?

23. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    To answer your question about real men and Daytonas, my Dad brought the Daytona that is now mine in 1974 and used it everyday for the next four years and some 40,000 miles pretty much regardless of the weather and all without power steering.

The power steering was added after the car became mine, and yes being brought up in an era of cars with power steering the non PAS Daytona was something of a shock. Fitting power steering is perhaps as you put it a soft option but with it I enjoy driving the car far more than I did before.

My Dad (and the few other people who have driven my car) agrees that the car is much nicer to drive with it, which is why he has added the EZ steering mentioned above on his recently acquired Spyder (conv).

The two systems on both cars are completely reversible (I wouldn't of had it done if it wasn't).

24. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  25. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I can't pick any difference in the self centering, I'd suggest a careful check of castor and camber.

I've driven plenty of C4's and 365GT4's, plus I've owned a Queen Mother, and found the hydraulic steering too light and lacking in road feel. Nice at very low speed but unnerving at high speed. As I said above, the EZ system retains almost all of the original road feel.