The end of Ferrari, as we know it | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The end of Ferrari, as we know it

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Pretty sure this entire thread was started on the notion not that Ferrari is going to go out of business, but that it, in the op’s mind and the minds of many others, has maybe gone astray from the things that it’s always been known for. The things that have inspired so much love for, and so many aspirations of owning, the cars. The qualities that Ferrari as a brand and the cars themselves had outside of just being fast.

2. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    How is Sears doing? :D

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good video

Thecadster and mwr4440 like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    In regards to the OP's post, I for one would not buy a Ferrari EV. A hybrid yes, EV no. I am not the only one who takes this position thus the company may not flourish as it has to date. When we all die off maybe the new buyers will feel differently but I am still relatively young.

mwr4440 likes this.
  5. sinistermist

sinistermist Karting

Mar 23, 2016
    I do not think Ferrari is dead, I do think much of their allure is going away. They might make a successful pivot and they might not. Think of all the high end car companies that were the best at one point and failed.
    Bugatti
    Bently
    Duesenberg
    Maserati
    Jaguar
    Rolls Royce

6. Tampaman44

Tampaman44 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    Based on everything I’ve read about the numerous issues relating to ev’s being truly compatible with ice’s, I seriously question whether they will ever be more than a novelty mode of transportation for those able to afford them and who will put with the inconvenience of using them for more than in town transportation.

mwr4440 and Hawkeye like this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would love to believe that, but it seems like every politician in every country is hell bent on converting all new car production to electric.

What I can't believe is there will be the ability to produce enough electricity to power all these vehicles. You can't burn fossil fuels, and they are not building any nuclear power plants. I don't see windmills, water power (the Hoover Dam power production is down 33% and is likely headed for zero) and solar panels producing all the electricity that will be needed.

mwr4440 likes this.
  8. Tampaman44

Tampaman44 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    Exactly.

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I can't wait for Ferrari EV,

"Ferrari by BOSE."*

B - Better
    O - Off
    (with)
    S- Something
    E- Else

10. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Sorry Doc, but if China and India keep burning Coal, it's all a planned Charade and the Marionette is YOU!

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ironically enough, that list you provided is proof positive to me that what Ferrari is doing is right. I mean that list isn’t exactly companies that excelled by staying “the same.”

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Please be more specific. When people say "Global Warming," they generally mean Man-Made Global Warming, not the world getting spontaneously hotter.

To answer your second question. There were 78 million cars made in 2020, which was a down year due to COVID. 99.9999% of those cars were ICE. The point is when we start making say 100 million EVs a year, this will require a lot of electricity production to fuel those cars. It is a valid point whether we can produce this much additional electricity.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Couple things going on here. China and India also did fly by night of CFCs. Doesn’t change the argument. As for the usual suspects, doesn’t change the situation for gen a+, at least some are honest about it. There’s that at least.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That’s right on question 1. As for question 2, do you care about 9 MPG on a 550 Maranello? I don’t.

Boomhauer, mwr4440 and Texas Forever like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    EVs will always be a novelty.

god I’m glad the internet is forever, whaddaya thinks folks- that quote will age well?

the funny thing is I’m sure many here do. Like they seriously do.

oh man, this is one of those awesome threads that I’m going to savour like a case of fine wine in my cellar. I get to check back every year or so…

Radu and Boomhauer like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No, half the world have no mandates of any kind for 100% EV. You can still build or buy an ICE in China or India past 2035. Now if your upset here in the USA or EuroZone they ban it, what can I say? 95% (maybe 99?) of their citizens aren’t car enthusiasts. As much as I like smoking a cigar, I’m not going to lie and say it can’t cause cancer.

EnzoItaly and Boomhauer like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #292 paulchua, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    You seriously don’t know they are in Chapter 11?

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I mean if you think Bose is mediocre, yeah I agree, ironic given Ferrari used to use them, so would your desire for “purity” and “originality” argue Ferrari should go back to them? Say like Porsche?

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #294 paulchua, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Yup, the 296 GTB has been getting horrible reviews, and the order books are empty. In fact everybody that’s had any experience with the new 296 says it hardly can be considered a Ferrari.

what they should have done is make the next Ferrari have had less horsepower, slower, less tech, and remove all ESCs = success!

I hear Ferrari is hiring, might want to look into product development.

Radu and Boomhauer like this.
  20. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Look, Either Sears is dead or it ain’t.

Chapter 11 re-org. Ain’t dead, ain’t alive…just Chapter 11…

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't mean this to be callous, but I don't care about half the world. I am never going to China nor India. I care about the world I live in, the US and Europe (especially France, England and Italy).

California has rolling brown outs now just to power their homes and businesses. Soon those homes will also each have to power 1, 2, 3 or more electric vehicles? Businesses have to plug in how many trucks each evening? I'm just asking the question, where is all that electricity going to come from? Can anyone answer that for me?

Gh21631, mwr4440, Hawkeye and 5 others like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, I guess some folks consider zombies alive.

Any company that declares bankruptcy I consider dead. If you argue what emerges is the same entity, hmmm.

Same name? Sure - same company? I'll be charitable and say it's the same company the way someone would say Alfa Romeo is in Formula 1.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't think you're callous at all, I simply mentioned those countries because earlier in this thread somebody called them out. (I just thought it was ironic they are called out on both ends, for both not banning ICE, yet also for being culprits of particular policy) - again - which is it?

I have no doubt you care about the world we live in, I believe most people do. You have every right to lament the social-political policies of wherever you live, I simply caution you that this thread is not the place to do that. Hence, I've been trying very hard to keep the topic and conversation on the utilitarian elements of EVs.

I've lived in California for over 4 decades, and as much as the media makes it sound like the hunger games, I have only suffered 5 rolling blackouts* in all that time, each time due to fires, which depends on what one believes is exacerbated by certain policies. There are over a million EVs in my state, and I don't have any problem with power. I don't see any apocalyptic situation with @695 either.

*well, one time due to Enronesque deregulation.

695 likes this.
  24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    simple...
    rationing...!
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/opinion/355458/we-become-more-reliant-electricity-rationing-it-might-be-necessary
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e-car-chargers-will-turn-off-to-prevent-blackouts-jnm2m86pz

and maybe behavioral changing pricing increases...
    https://www.newsweek.com/california-facing-power-crisis-frets-over-electric-car-charging-routines-1602755

Nospinzone likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I had high hopes this year, after LeClerc's engine blew up 3 times this year - looks like I'm going to have to wait another long year to see the phoenix rising from the ashes.