The end of Ferrari, as we know it | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The end of Ferrari, as we know it

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You do realize this is the same exact argument hippies made about the Testarossa in the 80s? What Prius nazis make? Just replace electricity with oil.

If the last few years taught me anything, it's that both sides are a lot closer than either realizes.

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't understand your answer. What does getting 9 mpg in a Maranello have to do with electrical capacity for EV?

paulchua likes this.
  3. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Well, building batteries and electric motors requires a bunch of mining in countries that don’t really care about pollution. There is a lot of work to do in building out all the infrastructure for the electric dream. Then there is the issue of how to generate all the power to run the electric future. Relying on intermittent sources, wind and solar, will never get there. Nuclear must be included. Finally, we’re doing all this before the technology is available to reduce CO2. Given 8 billion inhabitants it seems to me a slightly warmer planet with the plant growing CO2 is necessary to feed all the world.
    Plus, I like the sound and smells of the non-turbo ICE world. There is nothing like when my son and I stood on the overwalk at Indy with V10 F1 cars ripping underneath us revving at 18,000 RPM when we’re talking about cars.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Ferrari isn't dead, but there is a parity with EVs that largely diminishes the Ferrari ownership experience for Boomer/GenX'ers. Maybe Millenials and Zoomers will love the whisper quiet transport painted Rosso Corsa with optional Scuderia Ferrari Shields, who knows?

Ferrari's Mission Statement: We build cars, symbols of Italian excellence the world over, and we do so to win both road and track. Unique creations that fuel the Prancing Horse legend and generate a “World of Dreams and Emotions.

Emotions......

It's a variation of the debate between paddle shift and manual gearboxes. Here's what I adore about my Daytona, it needs me. There's a vast array of sensations while driving: manually changing gears, the smell of leather and with a hint of oil, the sound of the V12. The car needs 100% of you to function. We're now entering an era of self-park, self-driving and certainly in fifty years you will summon an Electric Pod that will take you to where you want to go while you are absorbing digital content of your choice.

This is a deviation from the current brand language. What is so emotional about a golf cart? 100% of torque available at 0 RPM is nice but it's ridiculous.

Additionally, in the not too distant future, you will subscribe to your transport, you won't own it. A Rosso Corsa painted ePod summoned with the Ferrari App! Count me out.

EnzoItaly, day355, Roman456 and 2 others like this.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Spot on mate, 100%

This is what is mind boggling about EVs....California can't even keep the lights on as it is, imagine half the state basically plugging in an additional clothes dryer and running it at all hours? It's comical. Delusional fantasist.

Roman456 and Nospinzone like this.
  6. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    What’s with your smart aleck hostility man, no one else is coming with that energy.

As has been mentioned to you already- that’s not what the OP was about.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ferrari will be pining for the fjords in 20 years..

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I like 'Bustin Chops.' :D

I KNEW I'd 'Get a 'Rise' outta Somebody.

I have BOSE Speakers in my living room.

Not the BEST to my ears,

But certainly Not BAD and the best I could afford at the time, 20 years ago. Today, I rarely listen to music as my ears are so bad I have to turn my dual 1000 Watt amps to '11' to hear/truly 'listen to,' anything as the tinnitus I have overpowers almost everything.

The neighborhood doesn't appreciate it too much when I do.

And as to an 'Entertainment System' IN my 308 GTSi,

THAT is what the OEM 'Maranello Octet' not more than half a meter behind the cockpit, is FOR.

Why be a 'Poser?'*

And a 'FACTORY or OEM POSER' is the epitTome of 'LOSER.'

* - Let's face it. 'Performance' isn't EVERYTHING. IF it was, none of us would be driving Ferraris.

The ICE Power Train IS the HEART of a Car, and the Exhaust Note, the SOUL.**

If one is old enough to remember cars of the long past, prior to all the 'Clean Air' crap, with a little practice you could ID the type of car without even seeing it, just from the engine noise and exhaust sound. Nope. Not kidding. You could. Even between a Ford 289 and a Chevy 283.

The sound of an Electric Motor belongs TO:

My margarita blender.

NOT to a Performance Automobile.

NOW, in the interest of SAFETY, a large population of EVs (which are fine for mere 'transportation') on the roads, is a very serious DANGER especially to 'Pedestrians,' Humans and Animals. WITHOUT the discharge of sound or noise, which is Standard Equipment with an ICE Powered conveyance, those 'Pedestrians' will NOT HAVE the benefit of an 'Audio WARNING' of approaching Danger. I predict the number of EV-PEDESTRIAN 'Interactions,' often LETHAL, will skyrocket over those 'Interactions' between ICE-Pedestrian events as an Unintended Consequence, similar to wind turbines and birds, bees and bats.

So, being a 'POSER,' from a SAFETY Aspect, makes sense. But WHY 'play' as you drive a Recording of say an F355 when you could use a Recording of a Model-T, a Steam Locomotive, a War-Bird (P-51, P-47, etc), the SR71, Saturn V, or even the NY Philharmonic playing 'You Shook Me All Night Long?' Literally ANY-THING that IS, NOISE.

WHY, Why attach an ICE Note to an ELECTRIC auto?

** - The ICE by its very nature,

Stirs ALL Our Senses, especially SOUND.

Dont believe me? Try this experiment.

Fire-Up your older Performance Car (Muscle or Otherwise) and let it mostly idle, revving it occasionally.

Next to it, Fire-Up your electric lawnmower and let it mostly idle, but rev it too, occasionally.

Now, which one 'Engages' you, 'Stirs' You, 'Consums' YOU? Which one is the:

'WOODY Maker' and 'PANTY Peeler?'

Which one makes you feel ALIVE?

'And .... There's Your Sign.'

EV will NEVER 'DO THAT.'

It CAN'T.

*** - With the HUGE Change in how the Private Automobile is seen today,**** I predict that cars will lose their appeal (its already started), and they will be regarded as mere 'transportation' by the vast majority of the population. The 'Classics,' and NOT an EV among them, will pretty much be in museums or junkyards. Most of our cars, in the latter, as the museums already have enough of them and the 'collection factor' of our cars among the random population, will soon be similar to the 'collection factor' of Beenie Babies' today. Not much.

**** - When I 'Grew-Up,' the words 'My Car,' was actually one word and it was spelled: 'F-R-E-E-D-O-M.'

It was largely seen as the FIRST GATE one passed through, on the way to TRUE Adulthood. With YOUR Car, YOU could Go ANYWHERE, Do ANYTHING. YOU. Were (finally). FREE. With all the human Senses 'Stirred' and Emotions on 'Afterburner' that sense of FREEDOM instilled.

Today, that emotional attachment to the auto is certainly dying among the younger generations, and the near Life-less and certainly Soul-less EV,***** will be the final 'Nail in the Coffin.'

I'm very glad I won't live long, if at all,

IN THAT world. :(

***** - And 'YES,' I have stood right next to a hydroelectric generator inside a dam with the gates near completely open. Impressive? Oh, YES! Human Soul Stirring? Ummm, NOPE.

So in closing THIS novel,

I ask,

Just how many here go to dinosaur exhibits? How may go further and OWN a REAL dinosaur bone (raises hand; have several)?

ANSWER: FEWER and Fewer and fewer, every year.

I believe these cars that we cherish so much, will be worth next to NOTHING and the vast majority rusting in junkyards, not due to accidents, but due to complete Non-Interest, in the not to distant future.

9. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Remember that energy need to power the ICE fleet is not 1:1 to power the EV fleet. Its more like 1:0.30 - but I agree that every country needs to formulate long term transition plans as it takes 30 years to build things like a nuclear power plant

10. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ohh then you are not going to like that we have electric ferries between Denmark and Sweden and multiple other electric ferry routes in Denmark. At the moment I see general charging outlets and batteries as a larger bottle neck than the production of electricity - at least in Europe.

Radu and Boomhauer like this.
  11. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the electricity is generated with fuel- correct, but that assumption is by the minute getting more and more false, and it depends very much on which part of the world you live in. It is a 100% false statement for a Tesla in Iceland

If they both only drives 30,000 miles over their lifespan, maybe. But as the miles piles on, this statement also becomes untrue :)

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Iceland? Seriously? Annually, 15,000 total new vehicle sales (commercial and personal combined - super tiny, smaller than many cities throughout the world) and most of their power is hydro and geothermal, highly unique, not scalable, not to mention extremely toxic, hydrogen-sulphide produced, etc

https://www.savingiceland.org/2015/07/does-living-next-to-a-geothermal-power-plant-increase-your-risk-of-dying/

...and, get this, it fails!
    https://www.icelandreview.com/business/electricity-shortage-in-iceland-impacts-local-industry-and-data-centres/

do you have any solid examples?

And, you can completely forget Denmark, not what you think at all, they rely on other countries to make up their electricity generation deficits and to take their excesses...
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/weak-winds-worsened-europes-power-crunch-utilities-need-better-storage-2021-12-22/

https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-a-f/denmark.aspx

https://renews.biz/74667/wind-fails-to-fill-danish-sails/

all renewables are unreliables even where local conditions/environment "seems" to be perfect, it is not.

As for your Teslas vs V12 you are forgetting the EU is coming after EVs too....
    https://www.rideapart.com/news/590974/study-tire-pollution-emissions-levels/
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/electric-cars/news/toxic-particles-from-brakes-to-be-included-in-euro-7-emission-rules/

not to mention the death cloud that exists if an EV ever catches fire
    https://www.evfiresafe.com/risks-ev-fires

not to mention the killing of children mining cobalt in the DRC
    https://www.thewrap.com/apple-microsoft-child-labor-cobalt-accused/

13. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Because you don't know how Ferrari SPA works from the inside....
    They won't survive electric, and I'm glad about that, because an electric Ferrari isn't a Ferrari !
    A battery is not an engine, and the engine is the heart of a Ferrari. That s simple !
    Useless to try to explain the contrary, that would amount to saying that the sky is yellow and not of blue color.
    Remember the words of Enzo "A Ferrari is an engine, the rest is a gift" !

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    A swatch will never be a Patek !

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    And how about the processes that destroyed the planet to mine that lithium? And what if the environment when these deadly batteries refuse to hold a charge after the warranty expires? The lithium mining earth movers powered by Icelandic wind & black licorice?

The total environmental impact of EVs is much worse than ICE engines. It’s a scam. It’s a control mechanism for the internet of things

You can also be geofenced with an EV. They can stop you from going anywhere. The freedom of going from point A to point be can be denied through an IP Address.

Challenge likes this.
  16. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe I'm wrong and we should just ban all electricity not produced with oil? And of course ban the EV at the same time.

And while we are at it ban the Airbag - https://www.cnbc.com/2014/11/20/the-deadly-dangers-of-air-bags.html

17. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think this may be an American thing, I don't have any fear of anybody following me, can't see why they would, I'm really not that exciting :)

Radu, Boomhauer and paulchua like this.
  18. Roman456

Roman456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Romain
    Archie's fan as well;)

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #319 JTSE30, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Reliable energy sources that are both scalable and dependable...

coal, natural gas, oil

nuclear is mostly dependable but not scalable, only good for baseload, good to have as well.

EVs are toys for the rich, without significant government money to support EVs would of never gone anywhere other than being toys for the rich...even with significant government money to support EVs, they remain toys and "second vehicles", even in Norway where everyone is rich...
    https://boereport.com/2021/01/12/column-norways-hydrocarbon-consumption-shows-stark-reality-of-energy-transition-even-for-the-filthy-rich/
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/19/norways-green-delusions-oil-gas-drilling/

As for airbags, most are rather trivial to disable, by pulling its fuse or circuit breaker, no matter what, airbags are only good for the "first impact" in a crash, and they do kill and injure.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    So, maybe there is no one interested in where you go...but, you might become very excited (in a bad way) when you are disallowed from travelling as you desire by EV...geo-fencing for one:
    https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a40164880/ford-geofencing-speed-limit-control-system/

And, you might become a suspect in criminal activity, oh gee, maybe you are becoming concerned now?
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-sensorvault-provide-location-to-police/
    (yes, even your phone will give you away if you allow any "apps" to remain active..but now your vehicle too!)
    https://www.dw.com/en/german-court-backs-gps-surveillance/a-1550528
    https://www.gislounge.com/geolocation-data-geofencing-warrants-and-crime/
    https://apnews.com/article/north-america-ap-top-news-international-news-shanghai-china-4a749a4211904784826b45e812cff4ca
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/10/a-data-black-hole-europol-ordered-to-delete-vast-store-of-personal-data

695 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree with you that nothing will replace the allure of an ICE. I'm with you! I too am against the outright banning of ICE. I think governments should allow special dispensation production, especially given we have fuel that is net-zero.

Here's the thing though, take the environment out of it okay?

Instant torque is instant torque. CO2 has nothing to do with that.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's because you have a government that's not corrupt. In China, they use all that data to 1984 folks. Many Americans here (as I) are on the guard for that.

695 likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Apologies for being opaque. I embrace electric motors because of their performance advantage over ICE.

I don't care about the earth, the planet, grids, politics, eco-warriors, Greenpeace, CO2, or power plants. (not to mention this isn't really the forum to talk about that stuff.) That's why I mentioned the 9 MPG, in the 90s hippies decried Ferrari because they were horribly inefficient and will hasten peak oil.

I support Ferrari being at the forefront bleeding-edge performance and technology.

Many here seem to disagree.

I don't understand the desire for Ferrari to stagnate (or even go backward), but here it is for you to see.

Radu likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What's this got to do with instant torque? You do realize this is the same script hippies used AGAINST Ferrari? Sometimes I wish folks just backup a bit and look in the mirror - if they look really close, they might realize they are the exact same thing they demonize, the only difference is the article they clicked on first.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ironic isn't it? When decrying the technological progress, reactionaries use the same playbook as hippies. I thought this was Ferrarichat? Who would have thought folks here all of the sudden care now so much about infrastructure and sustainability?!

My V12 in my garage is 9 MPG for goodness sakes, I'm all of sudden going to preach about long-term viability as a foil to EV adoption?

It's fascinating to see what the net' has done to the many. I'm guilty too - I had to go through this trial by fire.

But that was in 1986.

I often forget many (most?) folks, the internet is relatively new.

I'm optimistic though, I learned, and I know the younger generations have. It just might take some time for the older crowd to adjust to new media.

Radu, Boomhauer and 695 like this.