the F40 is undervalued | Page 17 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    #401 msn, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    I personally would say your fathers F40 is worth half the value of your F40 on a monetary basis, but your fathers F40 has seen double the enjoyment factor than your F40. This is just my humble opinion.

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013

One swallow does not a summer make, is the old saying. It will need a few more similar, lesser desirable cars to also sell at that level for the averages to move upwards, time will tell, it could cause some potential buyers to panic and bid anything that comes available to the moon and back, or it was two people who simply had auction fever on the day.

joe sackey, Prancing 12 and 275GTB like this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You forgot the chandelier.

Marcel Massini

Raley, JAM1, energy88 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    which is a valid point......do we know whether or not the mecum car actually sold to a human being?

joe sackey and Marcel Massini like this.
  5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    agreed. it is but one sale.
    however, IF that next sub-1000 miles usa car in perfect nick does NOT sell for $1 million more than the mecum car, then it erodes your argument...... just saying....
    lets see what happens....

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It doesn't have to be just a sub-1,000 miles car, and the price increase doesn't have to be exactly $1m more, that's not the way the market works, mostly because of the factors Ive already pointed our t a page ago. The market is an accumulation of all sales data points for all cars both low )& high miles covering both USA and Eu/ROW cars, let's give things the year, then review.

FCD, if you ever consider selling 85768, let me know right away please.

7. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany

I will do that.

I gave a real example for discussion. I am also one of the collectors who always paid a high surcharge for the special (low km, if possible 1st owner). But since I love driving an F40 so much, I actually bought a second F40 for it. If I had driven 30,000 km on the collector F40 now, it would have become a normal F40. So I would lose 750,000 euros at least with the collector F 40.

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #408 cnpapa24, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    A documented low mile car that is all original should pull a premium to a similar car with miles, no question. I think the issue is many people tend to focus on odometer reading above all else. There are many cars out there with low odometers with unknown ownership history and limited to no service records or history to back it up. Without this information it is difficult to corroborate the odometer and history of the car. Moreover, many cars with low odometer readings have had repaints and redone interiors, so originality is less relevant at that point. Your intended use for the car also comes into play. FCD has the perfect two car F40 combo: one for show and one for go, though many people fall into one camp or the other. For those not looking for a museum piece the parameters are different and the ability to buy at a good car with known history at a lower price point is an opportunity. For those looking for a well documented low mile car with corroborated history, miles and originality, the premium is worth it to them. For those buying odometer reading without the requisite history and / or originality, justifying the higher prices is very difficult. This latter seems to happen more often than not as well documented, original cars are extremely difficult to come by, especially when you start looking for specific specs, such as sliding window and / or non cat / non adjust, or US spec.

JagShergill, Karimsaid, Juli and 4 others like this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you are my hero!

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    people 'clock' these cars because it's a very easy thing to do. if your mileage is low then you can devalue your car by a stupid amount just from a long days drive.

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so, apparently we need at least one public sale of a USA model '92, with <1500 miles, and good provenance and decent condition to see where the stack is now.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well said, markets are a lot more nuanced than some seem to understand which is why you often see people at odds with it.

Thank you.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  13. Hopfenholz

Hopfenholz Rookie

Mar 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joel Hopwood
    I know that DK just sold their 1-owner F40 for £1.85m

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    We have a gentleman, Brian Green, coming to interview and film my wife and her Fhttps://www.wsj.com/articles/photos-a-flock-of-ferraris-143870166240 Monday as he is doing a series on Woman and their cars. He wants to start at the garage but film the car at The Tail of the Dragon. Done it multiple times, but its a 134 mile drive there, and I bet you one of the best 134 mile drives in the country. I must be getting old because I just don’t known if I want to do it. Miles is not the issue as the car has miles and needed to be driven anyway. Hmmm....I guess this falls into out motto. Go like hell till you can’t!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/photos-a-flock-of-ferraris-1438701662

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats about $2.4
    any further detail on that car? or a link?

16. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
  17. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I've seen that car, it looks incredible.

dk have an incredible reputation here in the uk and an extremely wealthy client base

I know people who have popped in there on their way back from a trip and impulsively bought cars without checking the market etc for instance

joe sackey likes this.
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, those are the prices with premium added

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That well-maintained F40 had just 1 owner from new! That's exceptionally rare 30-plus years later, it's almost unheard of today.

22. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Ok, so you sell your prized F40 that you purchased a number of years ago, and as a result make a healthy profit, and in a rising market it makes no financial sense to replace it further down the line with another of similar condition/mileage etc

So what do you buy instead from that from that bulging bank balance that gives you the equal or even better buzz when opening the garage door that the F40 has given you for all these years?

This is a genuine question for those thinking of cashing in, yes it is nice to make a few quid but the downside is you then no longer own an F40 for the rest of your life, what cars out there are the go to replacements for an F40?

23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    It depends on someone’s circumstances
    People pass away and their children inherit cars, they might not even have a driving licence or any interest in motoring.

f50’s used to be a lot cheaper too, if you happened to buy one at the cheapest time and store it then fall on hard times then it’s worth selling (especially at 4m) at these prices you could invest 3m which could give you a very good monthly income and still have a 1m budget which would give you the option of buying so many nice cars

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You forgot the taxes which will eat up up to 50%, depending on your situation.
    4 M will then suddenly be 2 M.

Marcel Massini