the F40 is undervalued | Page 3 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No one can predict the future and markets do whatever they will do. Go back and read some of the 10+ year old threads on here discussing the values of these cars and you will find some very entertaining stuff.

Even the example of Supra vs TR is what it is. Both cars were marketed to a wide audience and they sold for what they sold for. Supply and demand at work and who is to say what is a bubble or not. It took several serious buyers to bid the prices up to where they got, not just one rich crazy person.

Having said all that, I do agree that the F40 seems like a good deal relative to the others.

Veloce12 and joe sackey like this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's for sure.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The evolution from 308 to F40 is a bit like family genetics, 308/328 and 288GTO are siblings with a small age gap, you can clearly see the genes, the same windscreen shape, same door shape, same roof shape, same tail lights, same wheelbase upto the back of the door, but its been down the gym and is 6 foot 5 compared to its 5 foot 11 brother.

The F40s genes are less obvious, again same windscreen shape, same roof shape, same door shape (but pumped out a bit), same tail lights but its the child of the above not a direct sibling (its own sibling was slightly older and a bit of a recluse)

Where as the F50 was probably the hunky Italian milkmans! clearly the same mum, but dad has always had his suspicions.

From then on the rest of the family were created in a lab.......

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I havent seen a pista with a 2x ask. The car is a $500k car new. And the few for sale here have an ask of $600k.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. my hyperbole. sorry

6. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #57 joe sackey, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    If we are speaking genetics, the F40 is closer to the 288 GTO than the GTO is to the 308.

Interesting version of events.

Besides speaking to Fioravanti in person who was at pains to establish that the GTO was fresh design different in every way other than a passing resemblance in form to the 308, Materazzi said the same thing to me when we spoke for my book - which he kindly wrote the Foreword for.

I've spoken in person to both Fioravanti & Materazzi, just because something is printed doesn't means its an accurate depiction of events.

Meanwhile, none of this makes the F40 more valuable relative to the GTO, the F50, or the 308 for that matter.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sounds like he was shown a mule similar to the Enzo M3 mule based off an extended wheelbase 348/355 to fit a longitudinal v12. The part about the lines being similar to a 308 is not a quote and is written to imply that was the intent, but comes off as an embellishment at least to me.

joe sackey likes this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct, there is a lot that is written as fact without even talking to the principals themselves.

I've talked to the principals.

We can agree to disagree on the subjective matter of the resemblance or lack thereof of the 308, 288 F40 & F50.

What isn't subjective is the various cars' current values in the marketplace as they transact on a regular basis, markets speak for themselves.

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #60 Albert-LP, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    My 208 GTB turbo (April 1982 model), 437 made. Rear Bumper splitted (the same solution later used on the 288 GTO, a 1984 car). Yes, 288 is different, but the car derived from 308 like this (rare) 208 turbo. The 288 engine (F114B) is a modded F105A engine (the 308 QV one, introduced at the end of 1982) with 1 mm smaller bore cylinders (80 mm versus 81 mm). Several 288 GTO development engines still carried the "F105" mark on them. The gearbox was all new and the engine was 90° rotated with many mods. But it's that.

The 288 is another car, ok. But he base is the same, as it's obvious for everyone: and not only for the exterior.

Ciao

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    A 288 GTO car salesman who says it has nothing to do with the 308 versus a 208 owner who thinks his car is its little brother. Where's the popcorn? :)

I'm 360 Canuck and Monsieur Yoge like this.
  13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No, no popcorn. The 208 turbo cannot be his little brother, as it came before the 288 GTO (two years), as the 308 (all) did.

The 288 GTO is a very much different car from a 308, but it derives from the 308 (and this cannot be denied)

The discussion can be about "how much" it derives from a 308 GTB, not about "if".

Many want to tell " less than 0.001%", but that's not what happened.

For example it's a (written) fact that the 208 turbo development data, info and learnings (that was a two year long process ) was the base for the 288 GTO later development.

The 288 was another level car, of course, but it did not derive from the BB, nor from the 400 and neither from the Mondial.

And it wasn't a 100% new project: they started from the 308 and changed all that they needed to make a good base for a Group B race car and so replacing the Michelotto's 308 GTB Gruppo 4.

ciao

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #64 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 5, 2019
    Don't forget the Millechiodi from 1977...a 308 GTB with some aerodynamic tweeks later expanded to be used as a basis for the 288?

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not correct, Mr. Mantovani.
    This color postcard was issued and printed in Switzerland in 1984 and entirely done by the then importer SAVAF (Société Anonyme pour la Vente des Automobiles Ferrari), domiciled in Geneva, Switzerland.
    Not by the Ferrari Factory in Maranello, Italy.

Marcel Massini

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #68 Albert-LP, Jun 5, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Marcel, I think that you already wrote here on Fchat many times who printed that document, so there isn't anything new here.
    Ferrari didn't print anything by herself in the eighties: all the Manuals, depliants, warranty book and so on, were printed by ARBE S.p.A. here in Modena, a printing company. But they were "official". In the same way that "postcard" was printed by someone somewhere but it's official, like the ARBE printing, as there is a new model and with even aside the official Ferrari emblem.

We all know that is just a typo, as we all know that the car name is 288 too, but it clearly shows (in my opinion) how easy is to confuse a 308 with a 288, if you don't pay enough attention.

And the "308 Millechiodi" was even more similar.

Yes, under the skin the 288 GTO is MUCH different from a 308, with a longer wheelbase, but it's undoubtful derived from that model.
    As evereyone knows.

Here below the 308 Millechiodi in a vintage picture and the two cars models side by side: they look almost the same.

And I'm also certain you know much more than me about the Millechiodi, as I was fifteen when it was made.

And I'm 101% certain that you know 288 has the same 308 cranckase and cranckshaft of the 308 GT4, a car introduced in 1973, eleven years before. The Cranckcase is a bit modified, but the crankshaft is exactly the same, same spare part code.

Ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Coming back in topic: I'm my opinion actual F40 prices are correct. At the actual F40 price (an excellent one), you can buy a SF90 Stradale plus a 488 Pista and a Portofino. All three brand new, of course. For a 1300+ units produced car, I think it's not bad at all.

ciao

DGPF and joe sackey like this.
  19. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the 308 does look quite a bit different than the 288 gto and in terms of appeal to non-car people driving one through the streets or showing guests at your home, the f40 and f50 have much more of a wow factor from a visual standpoint and certainly look more expensive.

why anyone would want the f40/50 to be more expensive is nuts to me, they're already very expensive cars.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    F40s suck...........

DGPF likes this.
  21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When its turbos are spooled up, I'd say that you are correct.

Caeruleus11 and rob lay like this.
  22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what is the lowest range f40s ever traded at ?

23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    meant to say *looks quite similar to the 288 gto"

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I will be corrected, but I remember some $260-285k prices early 2000's. That said I had an agreed deal in 2004 for a Platinum 288 GTO for $335k, deal fell through. The 288 and F40 prices were similar and maybe F40's a little higher.

joe sackey and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.