the F40 is undervalued | Page 5 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Most of those like Verges, Raj, Parr, Ryan, Wes, Eddie etc were bought in the 2000's market of $250-400k. None of those guys interested in keeping their cars long long term. Maybe now they are 7-digits they are driven less stored away and kept longer, Ross is an example.

DGPF and DRYHOLE like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I bought mine in 09 for pretty close to 400k. Had 3600 miles and collector owned. Never selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I'm 100% surprised by $million dollar plus F40 selling prices. I don't see that lasting. Just waaayyyyyy too many were made. Cool car though!

DGPF likes this.
  4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    You did "OK" on that one !!!! Thumbs up.

MDS

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    are you also 'surprised' by the market price of a gullwing at $1.3 mil average? they were built in similar numbers....
    are you also 'surprised' by the market price of patek nautilus chrono at around $100k? they are built in similar numbers...
    are you also 'surprised' by the market price of warhol prints?

or stated in a different way.....do you have any idea what you are talking about?

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    similar to my story.
    the reasons why it has been in storage for 4 years instead of being driven, is that i moved continents and was unsure about whether i would remain in the usa; and if i was going to ship it to the usa, i would ship it along with the 512bbi, and the 512tr - that needed to have its 25th birthday to avoid DOT and EPA bs.

once it does arrive here and is inspected, licensed, and ready to roll, i will most definitely be driving it plenty !

anunakki likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Whats more surprising to me is an 812 is 400k +

8. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    If he's never selling, like me, all that's actually happened is his costs have gone up. Not much to celebrate IMO.

ross likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha yeh although never is a long time. Cld pay for college one day or serve as a downpayment on 20 unit building but that wld be far too responsible of a thing to do!

DGPF, Veloce12 and fbrs2 like this.
  10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    True - but he got one hell of car for “only” $400,000.

MDS

fbrs2 likes this.
  11. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    For sure. The best bit is that the wife is so much more amenable to buying more if you can point to your obvious acumen for making a 'profit'! :D

12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I purchased a very nice F40 for @ $265k in 1998.

rob lay likes this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That car is still in the family, he is the original owner, he gave to his adult daughter, she drives it often.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I specialize in GTOs and that's not my experience at all, in fact many F40s (yours for example) are hardly driven, and that is the main problem with selling them, when they come up for sale, they invariable have lots of deferred maintenance.

I have at least a handful of clients who have both the GTO and F40 and at least 2 have told me they prefer driving the GTO because it's easier to see out of rearwards, and, its more discreet.

By the way, are you planning on selling your F40 soon? Because, with all due respect, try as I might, I cant see any real merit for this thread by an F40 owner besides attempting to talk values up, and I feel this way because I know you know how markets work.

Agreed totally, no question, it is an impeccable beauty.

Great post.

Please take care of that GTO, and you should share how often you drive it in rallies & events all over Europe.

DGPF likes this.
  15. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    The Herman Lewis #57477?

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct.

AC, PW, red seat inserts, EE.169.AK plates, Herman purchased it new.

I tried to buy it from him without success so I bought 56331.

He ended up giving the car to his daughter, Barbara A.

FWIW I cannot tell if she still owns it as my contact with the family was @ 10 years ago.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    not at all.
    and despite what you think, and are constantly trying to imply, this thread was not an attempt to talk the market up.
    you are not the only one who thinks about the market values, trends, and movements and likes to discuss those issues in this forum of knowledgeable people.

Kuba, Albert-LP and 19633500GT like this.
  18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I want to add something, as I don't want to be remeberered as "the one that told the 288 GTO is a 308".

288 GTO is another car: obvious. Much more powerful, much different.

But it was based and derived FROM a 308 GTB. Why? because the 308 GTB was the lightest, smallest and best handling model that Ferrari produced at those times. So they started from the best to have an higher level top car suited for racing. To save money, they kept many 308 pieces: the engine was one of them. Many pieces were changed or improved, but some pieces were kept unmodded as they were on the 308. The body shape was a bit modded too, but fortunately stayed close enough to mantain the 308 purity and beauty.

They can do in the future all the special series they want, but it's impossible (in my opinion) to create another limited edition with a so pure line as the 288 had: this because 308 GTB beauty is still unbeaten, and will stay forever (or, at least, for a very long time).

ciao

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I 100% understand how some think the 288 GTO is the best or least of the Ferrari Supercars.

I don't understand any negativity towards the 288 GTO. That it came or was influenced by the 308 is a put down? The 308 was at minimum a great design (In the 70's!) and maybe the best in history up until that time for a production car and maybe it will be one of the best all time. The 288 GTO was the only Ferrari Supercar with the purpose of racing homologation and it is the rarest of the Ferrari Supercars.

It isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I can't accept that anyone would think it is a bad cup of tea.

I'm 360 Canuck, gt4me and Albert-LP like this.
  20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have always viewed it as special... for someone else. Not to denigrate it in any way. Just not "my cup of tea".

gt4me likes this.
  21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    either way there's something to be said for being able to drive it without it attracting as much attention as an f40/f50.

I was in a veyron a few months ago and someone walked into a street light whilst staring at the car!

Albert-LP and rob lay like this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Call me cynical if you like, really, I don't mind, but I feel sure if I started a thread with this title perhaps I'd be accused of it being "self-serving BS" aimed at talking F40 market values up ;)

Totally, perhaps there is a reason it's @ $2.5m different as well.

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

When I had 56331, my neighbor thought it was a 308 and I loved the fact that he did, knowing that he wasn't a car guy at all. However, for anyone who loves Ferraris, IMO there is no comparison or similarity between a 308 and a GTO other than a passing resemblance in terms of shape. Even young kids at a cars & Coffee immediately recognize the GTO, make a fuss over it and know it is Super-special. They ignore the 308. That's my experience. Saying the 308 and the GTO are the same is like saying the F40 and the F50 are the same.

23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    If the young kids know the difference between a 308 and a 288 GTO, they’re educated and their parents like cars, because I’m 45 and would look twice ...

And I like cars and FChat ...

MDS

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The OP made a statement and invited us to "discuss". So there's no right or wrong.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

True ...

So years ago when I started reading fchat, Alex Papas listed his F40 at ~ $650,000 ... i should have bought it

MDS