the F40's of Pebble 2022 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

the F40's of Pebble 2022

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Aug 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    1.8 to 2.3?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like I said, you know nothing about concours standards.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You know nothing of councours standards either. That is how they looked. I unloaded many from trucks brand new. You want make up, knock yourself out but real buyers (nearly 4 million $) know what they are looking at. I had several phone calls on this car prior to bidding. Some very knowledgeable parties were bidding precisely because of how it looks.

The Mecum cars muffler was laughable.

4. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not saying this to be pejorative but I'd like to just educate myself on what you see. The first exhaust is the $3.95M car. 1800 miles and the top of the muffler looks oxidized or almost rusted. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Mecum exhaust still has "matte" look and almost new for a car with $15k miles.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And a third just for reference. Just under 6000 miles.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #80 Rifledriver, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    The Mecum exhaust has been refinished with applied patina. It was not that way when I saw the car not long after restoration. And while to those who prefer the Barbie Doll look it may be attractive but for those who prize authenticity and originality it sticks out like a sore thumb.

There was an army of people there who knew what they were looking at and the auction result was a product of that. The seller himself is a very knowledgeable and savy collector. He doesn't buy junk.

Texas Forever, tfazio and of2worlds like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Any word on the nardo f40 sale?

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nowadays, I'm sure you chuckle when you see how many cars are adorned with thick bright blobs of 'factory' yellow completion markings in places where they never existed before!

8. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
  9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That reminds me of a story. Have you seen the Bachman's F40s? I'm getting old so my memory could be faulty, but you know Phil and Martha always got the last of whatever off the line. I think Phil said he had been to Maranello eighty plus times so they know him well. He has two perfect F40s, and I asked him why two. I think the story was that in this case, he was not sure he was getting the last car. So they made one from spare parts. Many of the parts that you could see had markings and I think bar codes on them as they were spares off the shelf so the lables where left on them. If that's not true, it at least sounds like a good story. And the reason he has two is I think he did end up with the last one. But Joe Sackey should know if this is true or not. Rifledriver will know, is this story correct or am I mixing up my stories...?

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I've heard this story, one of the many I've heard, alas, I can't confirm anything about it.

I was speaking of the yellow markings that appear on many concours-prepared cars or cars being prepared for resale, originally the factory yellow markings were subtle and casually-applied, now they are bold and carefully applied so they don't look authentic, plus with modern-era creative license they're often applied in places where the factory never applied yellow paint. If you saw the cars when they were new or have access totally original cars, you know the difference immediately.

E60 M5 likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The key is it ends up where it doesn't belong. The car that was built into the house I referenced before. I took extensive pictures of everything including the proof marking yellow, the grey/blue on the CV joints, tie wrap locations etc. On this particular car it looked like the yellow paint can was spilled on the car. To redo the blue/grey on the CV's I bought a big house painting size brush and glopped it on while turning the rear tires. Only way I got it looking the same as the "Before" pictures.

joe sackey likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We have been friends since their grown son was in Marthas arms. I'm sure PB is pissed at me now. Phil gave the 2 of us a private tour a couple years ago. They both told us a lot of stories but I honestly do not remember that one. I'll ask though. We are planning a return trip soon.

Texas Forever likes this.