The influence of dominant race cars and the imbalance they create | FerrariChat

The influence of dominant race cars and the imbalance they create

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    over the years, there have always been dominant cars, from silver arrows of yesteryear, the ground effect cars, Williams FW14s, and of course, the Ferrari’s of 2000 thru 2004, and even the Brawn of 2009. However, what characterised those cars is that they took full advantage of the rules, gained a dominance, but at any point, could be, and were, caught and overtaken by their competitors due to the allowance of testing and development during the seasons.

When a driver won a championship, therefore, there was always an emphasis provided by the car itself, and the driver had more or less influence depending upon their input and contribution both from their own abilities and talent, and that of their testing and being able to adapt to suit the foibles of a particular design.

Since 2010, however, with the Red Bull, and then into 2014 to now with the Mercedes, designs were hampered by tight restrictions on testing and developments, and driver input to these areas stifled, and some might argue, almost negated. It is now the designers car, and the designers winning the championship, and a drivers skill only really counts towards the inter team battle between teammates, with one ultimately getting the upper hand by being a little better than his peer in the same vehicle.

With this in mind, it calls to question the achievements of these drivers. Vettel won his championships under the cloud of the newey designs, and with absolute favouritism within the team over his teammates, and his team demonstrate their continued subscription to number one and number two drivers with the arrival of Max.

Elton, similarly, has enjoyed absolute favouritism over his teammates (nico beat him in spite of this favouritism), and through the absolute negation of meaningful developments of engine and car design for his championship years.

Is this the way f1 should continue in the future. Would it not benefit from a return to innovation and design excellence? Is this the reason fans are leaving in their droves (I don’t think anyone gives a damn if they have to pay £50 a month to watch f1 if the sport is exciting and unpredictable)? Plenty of soccer fans in the Uk spend more than a sky subscription to watch the most pathetic performing soccer teams play every week, so it’s not cost that’s at fault. The fault lays with the spectacle that isn’t there.

What do my fellow tifosi think?

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I would disagree with this point of yours: "Since 2010, however, with the Red Bull, and then into 2014 to now with the Mercedes, designs were hampered by tight restrictions on testing and developments, and driver input to these areas stifled, and some might argue, almost negated. It is now the designers car, and the designers winning the championship, and a drivers skill only really counts towards the inter team battle between teammates, with one ultimately getting the upper hand by being a little better than his peer in the same vehicle."

I would suggest that the lack of testing makes the driver even more important because he is the one that has to actually make everything work. What would Lewis or Seb or Max do in a Williams? I think they'd be doing a good bit better than this season's Williams drivers. But I don't think the same of Kimi or Bottas or Ricci.

I think a return to more open testing like drivers in Michael's era enjoyed would give more importance to team work of drivers and designers. I also think that what Haas has done with the rules is a blueprint for other privateers to become competitive in the mid pack. And with open testing, they might even challenge for the front now and then.

dm_n_stuff and ATBNM3 like this.
  3. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So should Liberty be looking at opening up the testing regime in order to improve the show then?

Drivers are able to make a limited difference to results, the best tier of drivers today - Alonso, Vettel, ricciardo, Max, Elton - would always outperform their team mates in the same car, and could make more of the package, potentially dragging it a little further than it should be possible to go, but they cannot lead a development March like they could years ago. Think of Schumi and his tireless testing in 1996 thru to 1999, culminating in the 2000 car (it would potentially have been the 1999 championship without Silverstone accident) that dominated the early season and maintained its lead, marginally, towards season end. Remember the excitement of those seasons 2000 to 2006, where teams were able to challenge the early domineering car, and test drivers and race drivers pounded lap after lap to discover an extra tenth or two, the teams developing new innovations throughout the season so you were never certain who would win what until it actually happened.

That can’t happen these days, nico proved you don’t need Elton to win a championship in the Mercedes, the car is the real star of the show, Elton merely is provided with the absolute maximum back up and strategy over his teammates, and is one of the fastest drivers out there today, that is of no doubt. However, Alonso, ricciardo, Vettel or several others would replicate that performance if it were they in the same car, of that there is no question (Max would probably smash it up a few times in the lead though). The drivers edge is limited in that they have no input to the developments designers can make, they merely get into the car in the January and can make small adjustments to feel and balance, there is little else they have the time to do.

F1 was once exciting, for me, a shut your curtains, on with the tv, laptop linked in to telemetry, on the phone to my cousin at the team, you name it, I did it. Every practice and qualifying, as well as the race, was important and studied. I used to be able to predict qualifying times within hundreds of a second at times I had so much knowledge of the data.

Compare that to now, even if I have the sessions on, I rarely bother to watch anything but the ferrari runs, the race I’m kinda watching while I do other things, I don’t bother with the 75 inch telly these days usually, I just sit in the dining room on a 40 inch, no surround sound (as they sound awful compared to the older cars). I couldn’t tell you who did what in most races once a couple days has passed, they are so boring. This is due to the predictability. The red bull years started it, the team that gains the first advantage in the season wins the titles, and now it’s even worse, the Mercedes is odds on favorite before a wheel turns due to the rules that are set in their favour, and development that is kept in check even now along with the daft limits on components (the richest sport in the world can’t afford gearboxes and tyres? Really? What utter tosh)

Isobel and fil like this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Agreed, the in-season testing ban has taken away a lot of the thrill of F-1. It used to be that during the season,
    the teams would do a race and then go straight off to another track for 2-3 days of testing, bringing along new
    developments and engines. They would routinely have several evolutions of engines provided by the manufactures
    during the course of a season.

This, and the fact that teams came to each race with multiple back-up cars instead of the single car per driver
    we see now. This was all done in the name of cost cutting but as we see, the teams find new ways of spending
    their budgets, it was reported about a month ago that Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari budgets were in excess of
    $400B/ea even without the in-season testing and back-up cars.

They're putting their budgets into developing aero changes which they develop through CFD, tested on simulators
    and bolted onto the cars at race meetings. As Giorgio Piola's reports on Motorsport.com indicate, this seems to
    happen for each race as teams are adapting different aero treatments for each of the tracks such as the speciality
    has grown especially for the top teams.

Does this make F-1 any less exciting? Perhaps. But, if they didn't have these rules in place, the minnow teams would
    really be drowning for lack of budget to keep up with the top teams, it's been a constant dance in racing from it's
    very beginnings.

Looks to me as though the grandstands are full at the various venues, not sure about the live TV audience but as
    with most things these days with the various means one may watch live sports, may not be a true indication as to
    how many are really tuning in.

But, gauging by the attendance of the F-1 Fan Fest event in Miami in October, there is plenty of enthusiasm for
    F-1 and if we're fortunate enough to get a Grand Prix here, it wouldn't be surprising to see 250K people in attendance.

BHW

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Truth is before the 1984 season and if we forget 1952, 1953 years and then the first silver arrows, never teh sport was so dominated by a team. After that, mclaren gained years of domination wich led to Prost and than Senna to win a lot more races than before. before that great drivers could win a couple of championships but with litle mote than 20 victories. Looks at Lauda, Piquet, Stewart, Moss, Fangio, Clark....they are all around these numbers, because there weren't that many races and a team could only be dominant for a couple of years in succession. Then, all of the sudden team begun to dominate over the course of several years, and driver started to rack up an impressive number of titles and victories. Prost and Senna were the first to profit from this, although they were very good, their impressive stats are above all due to the fact that they had at their disposal top cars during most of their respective carreres...after that arrived Michael, and Ferrari domination for 5 straight years made hi win a number of races no one ever dreamt possible! Now it's common place to win 3, 4 5 championships, Seb and Elton just show how any good driver (but not a genious one) can have an amazing set of race wins and championships. So i think that such long periods of dominance from one single team are indeed very bad for the sport, and above all create such false idols, that basicaly have all their reputation built upon the vast superiority of the cars they were able to drive for a period of 4, 5 or more years. This is why fans with many f.1 years are so reluctant to consider current drivers as good as the "old" ones, despite their larger number of titles, this is also the reason i really don't care for stats, i care for driving skills, and those are seen during the races, not after them when you count the points.

jmillard308 and daytona355 like this.
  6. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I think you've written a very long winded and inaccurate jab at "Elton" as you call him. Ferrari enjoyed a faster (or more dominant) car many times this season- and still found ways to lose. The driver does make a difference as this season proved.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Mario Andretti won his World Championship in 1978 with Colin Chapman's Lotus 79 which was a
    revolution not just in F-1 but across all forms of open wheel and prototype racing which stands
    to this day.

Lotus had such an advantage with the 79 that Gordon Murray put a giant fan on the back of
    the Brabham in an attempt for Lauda to keep up.

With the way the rules are today, none of these innovations could have come to pass.

And, while we're at it, the best drivers are in the best cars for a reason. Bet if you were to
    ask Toto Wolff he could rattle off dozens of reasons Hamilton is in the car over the other
    18 drivers on the grid currently.

BHW

ATBNM3 likes this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..So you mean there's no better driver than Bottas for the other merc seat ?
    Was Damon Hill driving for Williams because he was the best driver in the field? or the second best?

fil likes this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The driver can only be as good as his car and his strategists, and Vettel and ferrari have had a terrible year this year. If he had the strategists and car behind him that Mercedes do, then as he proved when he had it at red bull, he is capable of winning four in a row. He wasn’t beaten by Webber despite them having the best car by a margin, unlike Elton who was beaten by Nico, and barely scraped past him two other times in a two horse race

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why would they need a better driver than Bottas? They have won multiple WDC and WCC with this lineup. What more can you ask for.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Merc also won these titles with Nico and Lewis together.
    Great competitive battles.
    Sadly no more with Bottas the butler.

ATBNM3, moretti and daytona355 like this.
  12. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    True, but Bottas cost a lot less than Nico and provided the same result with less tension in the team.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mercedes knows that Ferrari and Red Bull are getting closer, they can't afford having a Rosberg stealing points from Hamilton anymore.

moretti and daytona355 like this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The absence of a fast team mate has certainly helped Lewis. He's been very relaxed since Nico's departure and his results have flourished as a direct consequence

15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If the FIA has any sense, they would order a complete change to the rules. They would drop the hybrid experiment, it hasn’t worked. The races are processional as before, and now more than ever, the results are a foregone conclusion. Fans hate the technicalities and many haven’t a clue what they are watching anymore, so they can’t appreciate practice and qualifying at all. The costs of these engines make the previous V8s look like a January sales bargain bin It saves nobody anything at all, and the show is diabolical.

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

jmillard308 and fil like this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Lewis has No1 status ?

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Nortonious likes this.
  18. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I think most team owners/managers recognize that it's not wise to put two bulls in one pasture.....

ATBNM3 likes this.
  19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He is a disgrace , I'll bet the Finnish people aren't too happy with his subserviant attitude

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I bet he wishes his manager was not toto Wolff so he could write his own contract that allowed him to actually try to win. He is a joke driver now. Those that claimed he was good and would give Elton a run for his money presumably see what the rest of us saw back when he was hired - a fool in a race suit that could barely cope with an aging and slowing massa, hired because he would not threaten Elton and risk his fragile ego, unlike nico who without his gentlemanly conduct in accepting team orders would’ve beaten Elton to at least one more title, if not two of them

As I’ve posted, however, as much fun as it is to take the piss out of bottles, this thread is about the car, not the biological parts that sit in them and press buttons. What’s laughable is that the people who claim f1 is in rude health with such a dominant period are the ones who previously ranted and raved at red bull for their dominance, and ferrari for theirs.

Dominance when it is earned is one thing, dominance due to the rules being fixed in their favour and written to ensure the dominance is not at risk is a very different thing. It is destroying f1. It doesn’t matter how many ‘clicks’ the one race only fans and highlight watchers watch, the sport can’t survive if those that have a long term and serious interest in it leave in their droves due to the mistakes they are making today.

21. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    But Bottas is a prime example of the impact of a dominant car. As we have seen in this era of cars whoever is on the front row is likely going to be the winner. Bottas has been able to put Ferrari on the 2nd row enough to make LH job in the race much easier, and also garner enough points to ensure the WCC. He was paid to be a #2 in a dominant car and in that respect he did his job admirably. In many respects he was fortunate to be chosen for that position, rather than languish with the middle/lower tier teams.

ATBNM3 and cairns like this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    His job is also to take that second place grid position and make it a second placed finish, a job he has failed miserably in more and more as the season went on

23. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Wolff stopped being his manager a while ago.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Parity created by opening up the testing and development = good.

Parity created by instituting more controls for the sake of parity = bad.

The NFL is a good example - mind-numbing boredom, there are no more dynasties other than the Patriots. This isn’t because the league has actual parity - it’s because of salary caps, drafts, balancing of schedules, etc. FFS, teams are rewarded for LOSING so they “tank” if the season goes south. That’s LUDICROUS!!!!

Now compare that to (say) the English Football League Championship - teams are fighting tooth and nail to a) get promoted to the Premier League and b) not get demoted to the first division. Rarely do you have 800lb gorilla teams, because that would require a lot of spending and many Championship teams simply can’t afford that. They have to really think about their coach, their players, etc to get promoted. It’s pure brilliance.

Not a perfect analogy, but if you want to make F1 (and all open wheel) exciting again, the rules need to be relaxed and teams actually fight for their positions near the top IMHO.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    A joke driver and a fool in a race suit? Are you really this rude in real life?

And Toto stepped down as his manager when he signed at Mercedes. At least get your facts right.

ATBNM3 likes this.