The Masters 2022 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Masters 2022

Discussion in 'Sports' started by pilotoCS, Apr 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Couple things. The Tiger story was captivating but it just got beat to death. We saw every shot of his for 72 holes with the same commentary. I admire him and was delighted to see him compete and make the cut. The Masters is my favorite event to watch (I have been to AN a number of times). The back nine Sunday is usually the best two hours of sporting entertainment in the entire year. There was no real competition for SS the whole weekend, with the only excitement the first 2 holes by the leaders Sunday. Once SS chipped in with that worm burner on # 3 if was all plodding history. PLUS, the announcers would be crucified by Master's big shots if they mentioned it, but SS is a PAINFULLY slow player. He and Cam had an entire hole open in front of them almost the entire Sunday. When they were screwing around on #3, the group ahead had already putted out on # 4. Faldo effed up with a gigantic spoiler on Rory's sand blast for birdie on 18 and then CM did the same. That was great TV, as was the competitor's genuine thrill for one another's performance. The Player's traditionally has the strongest field of the 5 events. The PGA used to be a joke when there were 20+ club pros playing and always second rate courses. Then the PGA started pimping their own second rate venues like Valhalla. It's much better now. Jim, if you ever played golf in Scotland and Ireland, I think you'd support the oldest contested golf championship. Nothing like it. Also, the US Open is not a PGA event either; it's run by the USGA. St. Andrews this year. If the weather is calm, look for guys to be 20+ under par.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm aware of that, but I believe it is still considered a PGA Tour event as well. I'm not so sure that applies to the (British) Open. (P.S. I will always refer to it that way. I'm aware that it's probably the oldest continually played tournament in the sport, but I feel the British insistence of simply referring to it as "The Open" is highly arrogant, as if denying that there are any other Open championships anywhere else in the world.)

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Arrogant indeed. It's also why their postage stamps have no markings indicating the country. Why? Same reason. They invented postage stamps therefore they don't have to indicate where they're from. "It's understood", using Brit logic!

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Guys. The "British" Open was started in 1860; the U.S. in 1895. Of the four majors, only the PGA itself is run by the PGA. The Master's has a closer alliance with the British R&A at St. Andrews and the USGA. They are the driving force in golf equipment standards, rules, and so on. Back to Jim's original question, I agree that The Player's should be considered a fifth. They players themselves consider it that for strength of field, purse, and incentives in their sponsor contracts. There is no rule or magic to four, other than the 100 years or so of tradition. In fact, in Bobby Jones' era, the U.S. Amateur was considered as a big of a deal as any tourney.