The new me :) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The new me :)

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Merdav, Aug 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    What avatar is that???

2. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    alright..... wiseguy!!

3. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    You need a real-deal old-school east coast Avatar!

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My understanding was Lidar was two part. First, the beam which the police bounce off your car. My understanding here was they are "required" to use a tripod for stability. Mounted to the car, the system is prone to movement.

Second, is the manual sighting of the target they hit: done through a "spotting scope". Given #2, then using Lidar at night is almost fruitless unless they are up close & personal & 90 degrees from your direction of travel so their headlights can illuminate your car (assuming traffic) or are driving behind you hitting you with it.

5. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Well Brad was going to hook me up, but haven't seen one yet...BTW I'm proud to have been involved in your 1000th post!

6. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    No tripod neccessary Clyde, just a steady hand and an open window. Positioning varies depending on the officer and what they will do to get the shot. I've seen them under overpasses facing the direction of traffic with the drivers door open with the Lidar aimed back at traffic as they hang out of the car. They are typically in the position that Brad encountered on Sat, at a 90 degree perpendicular position. Either way, you're screwed...

We really need to get some proof positive testing done here. Any suggestions?

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I would think all of the major detector players have studied this to death. I would also suspect they wouldn't say much due to liability. The lidar manufacturers certainly know their units limitations and good/bad practices. But I suspect you need to be a salesman/trainer/officer to get that info. Looks like we need to either find someone on the inside or get our hands on a unit. It would also be nice to quiz a bunch of officers on how they do things, then research past court cases to see what works & what doesn't....technicalities & such.

8. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks Hubert, you like? Feel like I'm in a gang...(singing) "When your a Jet your a Jet all the way from you first cigarette til your last dying day"

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Jet cigarettes & dying day??? you could have chosen a better jingle :)

How about "Cruise the USA in your Chevrolet....." Ummmmm, maybe not that one either :)

10. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    That's a classic song from West Side Story, oh I forgot, I have shoes older than most of you guys....

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    glad u like the new avatar Michael :)

12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name: