The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well I just got back from my lunch break. I was at a local news stand and who do I see. None other than "The Tonight Show" host Jay Leno. He was right in the same section I was, the automotive magazines. Well we all know that Jay doesn't have any Ferrari's. I have alway been curious as to why. After introducing myself to him I say "I'm a fellow car buff. I was just wondering why you don't own any Ferrari's?". Jay replies, "Cause they are a pain in the a$$." To which I agreed, and told him that he wasn't the only one that got treated this way. Jay then said, "Don't get me wrong I like Ferrari's and think they are a great car. But every time I go into a dealership they automaticly slap more money on the price. That's just bullsh!t." Again I agreed. "The other thing," He continued, "is that if I walk into a Porsche dealer these guys go out of their way to help me. They give me little books, pamphlets, mail me info, show me the cars. But if I walk into a Ferrari dealership looking for a Daytona, I don't get the same treatment. I would like to get one but there is too much bullsh!t involved." He asked what kind of Ferrari I had, and I told him a 348. Jay was very nice and was even signing autographs for the people that stopped to ask for one. Before he left I told him about FerrariChat and invited him to stop bye. It was a pleasure to meet Jay, and heard it right from his mouth as to why he does own a Ferrari. He is a VERY big car buff and has an awsome collection, and the money too to keep a collection like that. It is sad that because of bad treatment from dealers he doesn't have a Ferrari in his collection. So listen up Ferrari. You guys really need to change your song and start treating people better. Especially us owners in the U.S.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Awesome! I hope he stops by here.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's the great thing about Jay - straight shooter, coming and going.

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that would be really neat if he stopped by.

5. midnite360

midnite360 Rookie

Dec 20, 2003
    Shoulda told Jay you would go to the dealership for him and get the salesman to set a price and at the last minute let Mr. Leno walk in and take over.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It was just a brief meeting, and I didn't want to hold him up. I really would have like to invite him to one of the drives we have here in So Cali. But he looked like he just wanted to get his magazines and go home. I didn't want to bug him too much. None the less he was very nice, a really cool guy.

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Cool story.It doesn't surprise me about the dealer though.

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I got to hang with Jay at his collection, and basically you summed it up. He told me at one point he went to a Ferrari dealer to buy a 550, and all the dealer was interested in doing was gloating how they were getting double the sticker price.

There was an article written by him a long time ago in a now defunct magazine (Collectable Automobile) where he told the story of trying to buy a Daytona and how every time he tried, they could never find the 'true' owner of the car.

Unfortunately I think sales people (and possibly other collectors) think because he's so wealthy that they can take advantage of him. Instead of getting a repeat long term customer, they've set a bad example for Ferrari sales. Sad.

9. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Mr. Leno. I don't exactly have the money to buy a Ferrari, yet, but when I went into a Ferrari dealership they treated me, and my brother, as some stupid dreaming teenage boyracers! I know there are people on this site who don't think people like me should be here seeing how I don't actually own a Ferrari. To those people I say sorry but tough, because I WILL one day and I'm all ears to people that are willing to teach me everything and anything they know about these fansastic machines. Call me stuborn but I won't let a person that hates teenagers, or a rude salesman for that matter, keep me from my future purchase. I'm a Ferrari fan through and through! :)

10. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i had to go out of state to buy my 348 ts. the dealership here didnt even ask if I needed any help. but when I drove up in it to get service they were all over me to buy another one. I can see jays point!!

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Interesting. My dealer treated me just fine even before I got serious.

12. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** Ernie ... tell Jay to try Ferrari of Atlanta. I bought three cars from their owner and he treated me great. Not all Ferrari dealerships are created equal ... some are cordial and respect their customers feelings. Then some are after the guy with the thick wallet. Jay Leno definitely has a THICK wallet but treating him badly is terrible for business.
    Ferrari North America shouldn't allow that treatment for anyone especially a high roller like Jay. He might suggest to someone to go buy a Lamborghini and blow off the idea of a Ferrari. What does that do for business ?

13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, I wouldn't expect much from FNA... but then I'm pretty disgusted with their lack of customer service right now... they definitely make me feel irrelevant. Fortunately, there are some good dealerships despite FNA. In Dallas, I've always been amazed at how friendly and attentive Ferrari of Dallas is compared to the aloofness of the Porsche dealerships and the outright rudeness of the BMW dealerships. Its funny how I seem to be too lowly to be shopping for a BMW (evidently just wasting their time), but perfectly suitable for buying a Ferrari.

14. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i would add mike mastrangelo from Wide world of cars to that list.. we literally had to keep calling him to inquire about the car instead of vice versa

15. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Well if Leno is in Philly anytime, he should stop by Algar. They treat my broke a$$ very nicely. I've had no problems with attitudes at all.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Tell him to try another dealer. Im sure he's far from the wealthiest man who tried to buy a Ferrari ..

17. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I will just chip in as well... Ferrari of San Francisco exceeded all of my expectations, a real class act over there. Furthermore, they are owned by FNA, not sure if that has anything to do with anything. Anyway, if you ever go to FoSF nobody looks down on you, they are very cordial, and very helpful.

I look like a bum most of the time, so it was a real test to see how they responded to me. Then again, many of the richest people in this area look like bums!

-- Michael

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have to agree with that. When I went looking for a 246GT, I stopped in at Algar, expecing the worst. Instead, the owner came over and asked if he could help me. Told him I was looking for a 246. Took my number. A week later, he called me, said he had one, that he was holding for me to look at. Negotiated with the owner for me, and I bought the car.

Everyone at Algar has been terrific, from Bob, the owner, to Tony my mechanic.

Not all dealerships are packed with jerks who double prices and ignore potential customers.

19. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    Well I'm not an owner...and don't expect to be one in the near future, but I do 'know' what Mr.Leno says...some Ferrari dealers tread you like you're less then nothing. I'm just an enthousiast, but I do think that when I visit a dealership the salespeople there should thread me normal...
    About Ferrari of San Francisco...they were fantastic. I was there (a couple of years ago). I was just looking around and taking pictures (ofcourse I first asked if that was allright)...then a salesman approached me and asked if I was interested in some brochures (like the 348 Speciale)!! And he gave me 3 brochures and a some pics. And I could go back, to the garage, and take some pics of the just arrived F50 (still partly in boxes!!) That was really fantastic!
    So there are 'Good' and nice dealerships of Ferrari!!! :D

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I like Jay Leno the comedian. Saw him at Carnegie Hall in the mid 80s.
    I dont understand though his comments about buying a Ferrari though.
    If i did'nt buy a car brand based on salespeople attitudes, i would be riding my bike still. If i really wanted a 550 or a Daytona, guess what i would own them. Most of those rare collectables he owns im sure took a lot of research, money an trouble to locate. More than buying a 550 anyways.

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I'm wondering, if J. Leno really wanted a Ferrari, why doesn't he purchase one from a private owner and have it serviced at an independant garage that specializes in F-cars? After all...that's what I did.

22. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have to echo Brian's comments considering FoD/FoH. Mr Risi is definitely one of the nicest people I've come across in the car biz. Exotic or domestic.

My first dealership experience:
    About 5 years ago when Tony was still at Ferrari of Houston, my wife and I stopped by. FoH is ALWAYS out first stop when visiting H-town now! Anyway, here is a young couple in their mid 20's drooling over the yellow 275 GTB on the showroom floor, when up walks Tony. He introduced himself and we chatted about the beauty of the cars on the floor. I mentioned up front that I couldn't even think of affording a Ferrari at that time, but I would eventually be in the market for a 308/328/348. He then gave me his card and said when I was ready, he would be happy to help in my search. Then he asked if we would like to see the shop. He then proceeded to give the complete tour,service area,parts dept,333SP race shop, everything. It was a fantastic experience! I still wear the t-shirt I bought that day too.

That, to me, is a testament to the quality of the operation that Mr Risi runs at F/MoH & F/MoD. It's a 180deg turn from the horror stories I have heard about other Fcar dealers.

That being said, I can't believe a guy of Leno's "stature" couldn't find a way around all the BS. It's just sad.

Dave

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I cant say that Jay is wrong. Enzo always loved politics & drama, Italians seem to love exclusive things & one upping each other. At Ferrari its a byzantine culture where how much $ & contacts you have rules your worth as a human being. Thats pretty sick but I also cant deny that they have made some gorgeous cars , so gorgeous that Ive decided to ignore some of the unsavory parts of Ferrari Spa & their attitude.

2 years a go I toured Italy on the Car guy tour & we visited many factories including Lambo & Ferrari. The attitude was night & day. The people at Lambo were very friendly & welcomed visitors and were happy to have you there. At Ferrari they were Extremely snobbish, like being outside the velvet rope at an exclusive club, luckily I was on the list, otherwise I have no doubt I would not be allowed in. Once you get in the aura of insecurity, arrogance & pompous self inflation was thick in the air. Visitors were definately seen as the cost of doing business & a friendly face was seldom seen.

Its a real shame that Ferrari Spa has a difficulty with happiness & joy

24. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    He should get the car on discount. Enzo himself always did that with famous people. Famous people driving your car is free advertising.

25. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    i found out that the people at ferrari dealer of seattle very nice. my friend and I once went in to look at those cars and got to talk to the manager or owner(not sure) and he said that he treated everybody who walked in the door courteously no matter how they look because you never know when that person might come back and buy a car there. 3years later, my friend is thinking whether to buy a 360 or a porscheTT. if he decides to go with an F-car, i know where he will go.