The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    The below article will give you a flavor of Leno’s eclectic interest in motor sports. He's a true “car guy” in every sense of the words. His favorite, the Duesenberg, are amongst the most elegant motorcars ever built. They featured DOHC and supercharger technology, added to the SJ version in 1932, and were capable of reaching speeds of 140 mph. At $1 Million plus a pop, best you be well-heeled prior to shopping around. Next time in Vegas, visit the Imperial Palace Car Museum featuring 6 or 7 of these beauties:

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/8/jay_leno_interview.1.html

2. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    How many US Ferrari dealers have you been to, to make a blanket statement like that? I have always been treated well by the dealers in Toronto even years before I was actually in a position to buy one. At least twice I was treated to cappucino and spoken to cordially while we discussed the vehicles. The dealer in Michigan (Cauley) has always been super friendly and patient any time I visit them while doing business in Detroit even though they know I'm from Canada and not likely to ever purchase a car from them. I'm sure there are many dealers in the US who behave similarly. I don't know about the overcharging bit - Cauley's price list was directly in line with the Canadian prices bearing in mind the exchange rate.

3. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    I have never had any bad experiences with Ferrari of Washington. Unlike certain other highline dealers in my region, they are generally down-to-earth, friendly gearheads who will show you around the cars and talk shop whether you are looking to buy or just kicking tires. Another dealer not too far away, Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, has always been great as well.
    Two other dealers that I would recommend without regrets are Shelton Sports Cars and The Collection down in South Florida. Those are some of the most friendly car salesmen I've ever met, with tremendous knowledge about the subject material and plenty of willingness to go out of their way to serve the customer, especially at Shelton. Shelton's prices may be higher than some others, but their service is worth it.
    Other dealers I would probablyrecommend: Ferrari of San Francisco, Lake Forest Sportscars, Ferrari of Long Island, Ferrari of New England, Continental Autosports, Ferrari of Atlanta.
    However, I have noticed a certain attitude at other Ferrari dealers where visitors are completely ignored unless the salesmen either assume you look like a quick sale or you prod them with questions about the car. I've been to Algar a couple of times and never been once acknowledged by a salesperson. What a pity, as there was a bright red 575M F1 that I was actually interested in. However, I could never get the salesmens' attention, and even the receptionist blew me off. Go figure. I have also been miffed at salesmen in other dealers that treat their inventory like ego trophies. Heck, the first thing that some of them mention when asked about the car is the price (often inflated). I could definitely see where this arrogant attitude would turn people off, especially first-time buyers. Some dealers seem to have a certain old-boys club going, where unfamiliar faces get no attention.

4. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Not implying Ernie isn't quoting Jay word for word, but tough to say what Jay's intent might've been presuming this is the case. Been to a few Ferrari dealerships in the area and would suspect they'd all treat Jay right. Again, just guessing here, but could be that if Jay wants a new car, he may even skip a spot (or two?) on the "list". Oh, and he pays list (if that) when the car shows up too, most likely. Or maybe he's in a hurry and FNA sets him up right away (and he gets a Stradale formerly bound for Texas?). Dunno, being the high-profile car guy that Jay is, just seems improbable he'd have a tough time (or a gouging) trying to buy a new Ferrari from any authorized outlet.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think you've just defined modern America. ;) (Reference the debate on the Mars thread.)

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've never dealt with them, but that's unfortunate.

I just thought of a time a friend and I went browsing at a Nissan dealer(Aurora St./Seattle) right before he took a real estate job, the salesmen openly laughed and mocked us in front of everyone in the place with a bellowing cackle when my friend responded he'd buy "within the next two years." One turned and yelled to the other employees across the showroom. The secretaries sat in embarrassed shock. This old SOB continued to heckle us on our way out of the place too. I was LIVID.

My friend bought a new Altima the next year, from a different dealer... but I refuse to ever buy a Nissan product. I also had a nightmare experience test driving Toyotas (wierdo/apathetic/depressed salesman), but that's another story...

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

He should have ordered ENZO, no interaction involved just deposit, and the next time is delivery of the car

8. usynlig

usynlig Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    utah
    Picture of these rare cars.

9. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    To avoid the BS dealers of any brand can hand out, I know of a few celebrities who send reps in to buy the cars they want anonymously.

10. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think you're being far too kind.

11. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    **I agree with you concerning Ferrari of Dallas. I know Tony Nevotti and the Dallas area is fortunate to have him at the new store. I never bought anything there / or Houston, have had service work done. They were great and treated me like a friend ... not just a customer.
    FNA wants to sell cars. They say it supports the F1 team <what I read>.
    Get this: Some years ago I was shopping for a sportscar. Either an Acura NSX or Ferrari 348. I went to California on business and had some free time one day. I was crusing around in Beverly Hills area looking for Jed Clampitt's house. You know how tourists are...
    I was there the first of January to be exact, and went to the Beverly Hills Ferrari dealership. Rude isn't the word. The sales dude walks up to me and asks me what I want? I told him I was interested in buying a Ferrari ... he snorted and walked away. Do you suppose he thought I was a street bum? Looked better than Jed and he was treated good everywhere he went. And it surely wasn't due to his custom truck !!!
    Anyway, I walked around for a few minutes and another sales person appeared. He was a young man and told me quietly that they were watching every move I made. I told him that I was interested in a 348tb Challenge car <street version>. He told me to follow him and we went into the area behind the showroom near their shop area and showed me a fairly new red 348tb Serie Speciale. That was close, so I asked to sit in the car. It was like I asked to 'date' his sister. He developed a priceless smirk on this face and said "That is only allowed if you are seriously interested in purchasing the car, sir." I thanked him and walked towards the door. The atmosphere was very bleak in there and I needed some fresh air.
    I eventually bought a 348ts and had my picture taken in the car. Found this salesman's business card crumpled up in a pocket and sent him the picture. Kept it a few years and sold it due to an emission problem nightmare. Bought the NSX and it never broke, drove it everyday.

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Jay is a terrific car guy, I met him at Autobooks on Saturday one time, I guess he frequents the place. He had a Jag 120XK and was really cool speaking about it. He has a gorgeous McLaren F1 and he really knows his stuff. It is sad he is turned off on the Ferrari buying experience but not the cars. Maybe he should go to FOBH, I am sure James Del Pozzo the Sales Manager would treat him right.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    We all have had good experiances and bad ones with dealers. But face it Ferrari's are a pain in the a$$. Even beyond the sales man. The #1 biggest pain in the a$$ is part prices. Plain and simple Ferrari GOUGES us to no end. Take for example a oil plug that I was quoted $60, for a stupid brass plug. Then there are the spark plug wires. They don't sell them in sets, oh no, they sell them based on what cylinder they are going to, at a cost of $125-$160 each! If that isn't gouging then you need to put the crack pipe down. Now add this to bad treatment from dealers and other sellers, and you can see why Jay doesn't have one. Ferrari seriously needs to restructure the way they do business. As soon as Schumie retires and they stop winning, I bet they take a big hit in the sales department. None the less I'm still a fan of the make, which is why I own one. But it will be quite some time before I buy another Ferrari, because as Jay put it they ARE a pain in the a$$.

14. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

FOA is among the WORST IMHO......

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I agree that it really is different depending on where you go. I have been to FONE, and the different sales ppl Ive met with, just talked to for fun from the age of 16 have ranged from total car nuts, really nice guys, to arrogant pricks. I hate that they don't take you seriously at that age, its funny, bc Im sure their are some 18 year olds that get them..BIG mistake on their part to discount young ppl.

16. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    When I was a kid, I was a HUGE Pontiac fan. I used to go to the local deler when I was 10, and every year after that to see the new models when they came out. (remember when that was fun?) The dealers were always very nice to me, let me sit in the cars, gave me brichures, let me look under the hood. Keep in mind I was 10 years old and with no adult. When I bought my first new car, I boight a 1974 Firebird from them. Unfortunately, it was the WORST car I have ever owned. But I have never forgotten how nice the dealership was to me. I never bought another Pontiac.

17. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I've seen his collection on TV. He seems to like REALLY old cars. Duesenburgs, Hispano Suizas and weird stuff like that. I didn't think he was THAT old.

18. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    They sell I think, a maximum of 4000 cars a year. I don't think they can take advantage of the economiies of scale. They don't represent these cars as "economical grocery getters".

19. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jay has a Mclaren F1. Why would he need a ferrari? :)

20. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    To go to the Starbucks Drive-Thru.

21. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    I have had two experiences at Ferrari of Atlanta. Once I was treated very well and the sales person was great and the other time the man acted like he had more important things to do. Shelton Ferrari in Fort Lauderdale was very friendly though and went above and beyond the call of duty. They took me through their shop and showed me some of the cars they did not have on display. Let me sit in and examine an F40 even though they knew I could not afford one. It was great.

22. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I think Cauley deserves honorable mention as well, whenever I was there they were educating the lookers and letting them roam free in the dealership.

Be nice to those kid's because that's you're future market.

23. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    REMEBER EVRYONE

ernie told jay about f-chat

he might come soon

24. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Speaking of which... are there any celebrities that use Fchat? or NSXprime or any car sites? Surely they must if they are car guys!

25. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I doubt any celebs. would say so because I'm sure they get enough attention as it is. But if there any any here, its cool that you Ferrari people! :)