The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 52 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
  2. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab

Let me rephrase that:

I don't believe him

He is a very insecure guy and I suspect he wants to convince everyone he is still relevant as a true comic by claiming to make so much money from comedy that he can afford the lifestyle solely based on his non-tonight show income.

I call bs and bet he used plenty of his Tonight Show money.

3. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You could call BS but it is entirely believable and likely true. He can charge great rates for his acts, they would sell out, and the $10mm/year would easily account for the collection he has, given he has been amassing the collection for years and mostly well before this latest bubble in valuations.

4. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Man, what a fantastic car! It's great to see it out on the road like that. Thanks for the link.

And I love his room full of vintage Bugattis with a SHOgun sitting in the corner. That's awesome.

Interesting interview. He really didn't say why he's not into them now that he can afford anything he wants. But whatever, I guess he just doesn't want one.

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice interview. Thanks for posting.

6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aright boys and girls. I hate to dump fuel on this fire. But Chicago Tribune says otherwise. Looks like jay had THE Ferrari back in the 90s. Fun article

Wow! On Wheels - Chicago Tribune

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That was a blast from the past! Thanks for posting...T

8. 250Times

250Times Rookie

Jul 31, 2014
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Assyl Yacine
    Good man @bluekawala

When I was a teen, there was a dealership that held some amazing cars, and every time I went their there was zero respect for my passion and knowledge. Only respect for wallet sizes.

I work for a collection in the GCC, and anytime someone comes in that reminds me of me at that age, I give them the full 9 yards. Crushing a kid's dreams and aspirations isn't very nice!

9. 250Times

250Times Rookie

Jul 31, 2014
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Assyl Yacine
    Sorry I'm new to this. Above post is in relation to Bluekawala's post on page 1.

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hard to believe it's actually all original. Perhaps all to original specification OK.

They had to have serviced and replaced something over 63 years. If not then while in the world did Ferrari stop building them that way?

Nutty to be actually driving it on tires from 1952, perhaps reproductions? ;)

But what a great piece for the Peterson Museum and certainly for Ferrari.

The styling cues to later appear on the T-bird look obvious to me. Ford did this sort of think again back in the 1970s with Lamborghini. They bought an Espada and used/studied it for a while. I was stopped once by one of the design engineers one alongside the road while on a drive in mine and he spoke about how they took the car out for lunch and stole a few things which ended up on the updated Mustang. Nothing from the engine compartment ... ;)

11. tuscany

tuscany Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    Pa.
    #1286 tuscany, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    One of his best anecdotes was one that appeared in print years ago (before Tonight show) ...he wrote of a bike problem encountered on route to a comedy gig. Younger folk may not relate as well...on one trip he had a problem, ended up tearing a bike down inside his Motel room. "Every part of the bike was disassembled and laying around me....which gave my stomach the strangest feeling to notice the floor strewn with parts everywhere. I had to make the next town, but wasn't going anywhere until things got assembled correctly."

Today this would not fly in a Comfort suite. He never forgot his early experiences after becoming affluent. And there is genius in him.

12. tuscany

tuscany Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    Pa.
    And no question he's well educated about bikes...

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=AbPRbMYQMbk[/ame]

13. tedr

tedr Rookie

Feb 25, 2014
  14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thats his mechanics car but if you look throough the thread he does a test on an old Ferrari and says all the right things!

Rob

15. NathanSol

NathanSol Rookie

Jun 15, 2012
    Oshkosh
    I'd like to share a Ferrari customer service experience I recently had (it's a little off-topic since it doesn't involve Leno, nor a dealership, but I think it still fits this thread). I went to the Ferrari Challenge races at Road America last month. I showed up with more than enough cash, plus a debit card. Ferrari North America was in charge of admissions, but they were only accepting credit cards(!?!). The young lady at the window didn't even try to run the debit card I handed to her, she just gave me a wristband anyway and asked me to "pay it forward". This was a very pleasant surprise. Btw, I returned the next day after paying (with my debit card) through the FNA website.

paulchua likes this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Those 550 pics *look* badly photoshopped.

17. stefanfromnortheast

Feb 18, 2022
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Stefan T
    Jay is right. I love the cars, the company, the people who work in Maranello (visited the place and met them) but my worst buying experience ever was in a F dealership. (I've bought many sports cars over the years.) Had a confirmed 488 allocation, order was in the system (confirmed by dealer), expected delivery date and suddenly the dealer stopped responding. No info, follow-up or anything; just disappeared. I could have made a big scene but really turned sour on the dealer (at their profit margin, you'd expect some effort or follow-up). If it had been another brand, I could have gone somewhere else but there is only one regional dealer. I decided to buy GT3s instead.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT