The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think Dave Letterman is the Ferrari guy of the two. Anyone know about his collection?

2. svtrader

svtrader Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    Jay Leno wishes he could own a ferrari. In fact, he tried his ass off to get an Enzo, but, they were sold out by the time he got interested. So, he had to settle for a CGT.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah I guess it would ... I applogise to both of them, but being an Aussie don't really know who the fnck either of them are ;)

Pete

4. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    I don't think that's true either, in an interview with Leno about the McLaren SLR he said he would never buy an Enzo because he thinks the prices involved in maintenance (brakes, oil, etc.) are ridiculous and not practical.

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

not to mention he thinks the Enzo and F-50 are just too over the top styling wise.

As for "trying his ass off to get an Enzo" he could buy every Enzo available on the open market now at asking prices and not lose sleep over it, so this isn't true either.

The Enzo isn't Jay's style. The only two Ferrari's I know Jay expressed interest in owning were a Daytona and a 550 Maranello...

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, I lived in Sydney for a bloody long time and I know Jamiroquai was selling records in Oz. Fair enough on Leno - you guys are still probably getting Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show as the TV seasons will lag a bit between America and Australia.

Can't wait to get back, for good, regardless!!!

Cheers
    Kevin

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually I have heard of both of them ... exaggerated a little in my reply ;), but like I said still don't really know who they are ... never met them and the only thing I know about Jay Kay is he is a classic car collector, er and into music ;)

I'm pretty sure we do not get Leno over here ... don't know if that is a loss or not.

BTW: I'm also pretty sure that every TV show that airs in America does not necessarily air in Australia ... we only have 5 channels and we do look at other countries too.

Pete

8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Jay doesn't want Ferraris because he said he doesn't have enough room for all the books that go with them. Or something along those lines

9. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

10. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    "Settle" ... interesting way of looking at it that is. There's a lot of people, me included, who'd take a CGT in a heartbeat over an Enzo.

Bill in Brooklyn

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Now Pete, I helped set up Foxtel so I know if you step up to cable you can have more channels!! Having said that, I remember arriving in August '94 to 4 channels of footy and SBS (sex between soccer).

Cheers
    Kevin

12. bbalonis

bbalonis Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    at the very least jay resents $60 per quart of oil. he cited that specifically in his column in popular mechanics.

13. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    excellent post!!!

14. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Good article. When the SLRs brakes catch fire, dont they melt the wheels and tires?

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  16. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Jay Leno is one of the coolest cars guys out there....it would be great to be able to sit and talk cars with him for an hour or so.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The only problem is that he bashes the Enzo for having paddles but he will still choose an SLR which has nothing but its torque convertor and microchips to change gears.

He is still the ultimate collector with a broad and diverse collection covering a century of automotive production (including some beautiful bikes!)

18. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Fabulous collection!!

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yeah he has a great collection, but who cares of what he thinks about the Enzo that is his opinion. I would take the Enzo over the Ford Gt, Carrera Gt, and SLR combined. Paddles or no paddles.

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I Guess you can buy a Ford GT, Carrera GT and an SLR for the real world value of an Enzo. That's gotta tell you something!

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Let's peer into the crystal ball a minute. I'll go out on a limb, but let's picture 2009 (hey, if a 5 year plan at work is supposed to be accurate, why not here?).

Porsche Carrera GT: $240k. Probably a little cheaper than an F40 is right now. Most will be driven and probably hard.

Ford GT: $85-90k. Will be more than a Viper, but still labelled as American Iron. Will become the lust car for all of the Mustang fanatics, but will be forgotten after a while by the supercar crowd. Two categories of cars, driven the snot out of and put away wet or no miles paperweights.

SLR: $125k. Yep, steep depreciation. They're going to make too many of them (isn't production close to the original numbers on the 300 SL gullwing?). Auto gearbox will keep this thing from being a classic. Will be bought in 5 years by the upper middle class that has maxed out their credit cards and live in starter castles with no furniture. Most people will have a heart attack when they get their insurance bill. All that carbon fiber and too few good repair shops. Very few shops will touch it and lots of owners will get pissed if it doen't come back perfect.

Flame away. :)

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I really dont like this guy.Its like he needs to bash Ferrari..

Dont like paddleshifters ? What does the SLR has ? a Manual GB ? Bah !

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not too sure about most CGT being driven...Most CGT owners probably have a few nice cars but surely not enough time to drive them all.

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    While I don't disagree with your statement, its been my experience that you'll find more of the limited edition Porsches with higher milage than their other supercar counterparts.