The official MP4-12C Thread | Page 38 | FerrariChat

The official MP4-12C Thread

Discussion in 'British' started by Superquant, Feb 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    The Atoms are awesome. Never driven one, but have seen a few up close. The exo-skeleton chassis is really something and, I agree, would be a neat thing to drive and own.

There are times, however, when you prefer that your track car has a proper windscreen and a roof over your head. Myself, I like to drive a variety of cars, when I get the chance. While single-seaters and dedicated track cars are the best tools for the job, sometimes you're in the mood to track something less hardcore.

Plus, there is always the trip to and from the circuit. After a long track day, air conditioning, a radio and compliant suspension are always appreciated, not to mention a cup holder. This is where I'm hoping the McLaren will be a nice option to have as a part time track toy.

2. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm hearing rumours of a two-tone Gulf liveried MP4-12C being spotted in the UK. Any of the Brit fellas know anything about that?

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    not heard of one, there have been some unusual sitings of two tone cars but it turns out the protective covering is a light/mid blue so cars are only single colour

4. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    As Mark says,there are no light blue gulf cars,you can see the protected cars being driven around the uk on youtube mclaren mp4-12c,i think there have been about 3 caught on camera,possibly they are having a final test drive,as of yet no dealer has had any delivered so they could be for the first 50 or so vip cars ??

5. Falb

Falb Karting

Mar 14, 2011
    Las Vegas
    #930 Falb, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since your in vegas, getting in a radical at spring mountain is the ticket. Drive there in your exotic, beat the crap out of your radical with a bunch of other guys and then cruise home.

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #931 psw, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm with Falb on this one, I bought one just recently myself, it really is the best way to get your kicks on the track and as Falb says arrive to the track in your Ferrari or MP4, drive the Radical, go home in comfort.

Radical offer arrive & drive packages around the world, brilliant organisation model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Falb

Falb Karting

Mar 14, 2011
    Las Vegas
    This is an example. Black car with the blue protective coating. If this was an orange car it would look like a two tone Gulf car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1BHVHm9kM[/ame]

8. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Not sure if this has been posted before (I noted other PDF's in past):

McLaren MP4-12C PDF Brochure [Spring 2011] - McLaren Dallas / Park Place

Want. Want. Want.

:D

9. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Pedro de la Rosa posing with Chris Goodwin and the silver one. PDLR says 12C is the best road car he has driven at a race track. Of course, his paycheck does come from McLaren.

http://yfrog.com/gy34ioaj

10. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
  11. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    That video really shows how much the rear diffuser is turned up. I can see a lot of downforce being credited to that.

12. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Maybe they are production models being delivered to magazines for full review? Aren't we supposed to start seeing reviews in next month's mags, which would mean they would need to start conducting the reviews soon?

13. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    possible,but i would think they would want to give the mags run in cars not new ones with no miles on the clock,i also thought the mags would be giving reviews next month,but i think its a bit late now for may editions,so lets hope they will be in the june ones out in 2 or 3 weeks
    its possible autocar will be the favoured one,and as a weekly that would be sooner,i wil let you know when it comes out

14. GT-TT

GT-TT Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    Any idea when AMS will produce its test? The nbr time is expected by everyone..
    I wonder what tactic mclaren is going to choose here given all that rumour mill about the 7 min lap.. Looks like a factory time is not due soon and we all know that AMS is usually 5-10 secs off the factory quoted times for nbr.
    What a let down it could be if the first time we see is 7.20 time by H Von Saurma given all that hype (and benchmark) Rutcliff set..!

15. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    #942 fire_n_ice, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Yes it is interesting to ponder. But, I don't think 7:20 would be a letdown at all, given the GT2 RS independent time on the full length track is 7:24, is it not? We have to remember the Porsche is a much more compromised road car, in terms of the measures they took to lighten the car, lack of luxury amenities, etc. Plus 620 bhp and massive torque. The fact that the McLaren is even (allegedly) comparable, in base luxo-coupe trim, is remarkable. If it ends up being faster than the Porsche by any significant margin (i.e. more than 3 or 4 seconds) that will be hugely impressive. 7 min flat is racecar (with street legal tires) territory. Think Gumpert Appollo. The McLaren does not fit that profile.

16. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    The 12c does not fit the gumpert profile only in the fact it has better luxury,the performance stats are the same,and chris goodwin has already said they can beat it at dunsfold,so i expect it to at the ring having better lateral g,which should help it with the faster track even though the gumpert has massive downforce it hasnt got more lateral g.
    i dont think Mclaren will be the first at the ring as chris goodwin told me they wouldnt do a fast lap without a cage ,so one of the mags will probably put in the first time,so we should see a lap sometime in july as i dont think there will be enough available cars until then,lets hope im wrong as it would be a big PR advantage smash the road car record

17. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes, but the Gumpert's power to weight ratio and downforce may pay bigger dividends at the Ring. BTW, "better luxury" is an understatement; the Gumpert has NO storage space, the seats do not recline, you cannot see out of the rear view, the steering rack is WAY too fast for public road use and if you have more than 1 degree of incline on your driveway, you will NOT get it out of your garage, assuming you got it in there in the first place! ;) It is a road car in name only.

I'm not saying the 12C won't beat it - indeed I hope it does - but I'm just saying we can't be let down if it does not, since the Gumpert is already some 15 seconds faster than the bullet GT2 RS. If the 12C pulls off that feat, surely Roland Gumpert, and the rest of the world, will be scratching their heads as it would be a major b!tch-slap to supercar engineers everywhere! ;)

p.s. when I drove the Gumpert last year, in true no-compromise supercar fashion the car's turbos went limp after a morning of intermittent track use. To me, that indicates the car must have been tuned to the max for its Ring run. Again, nothing resembling normal everyday use that will be expected from the McLaren.

18. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    good points,lets keep our fingers crossed

19. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

I won't be disappointed if it doesn't beat Gumpert time either because of everything you say here, the MP4 can be an every day driver, the likes of Gumpert & Radical who hold the lap record in an SR8 at 6.48 are just not true road cars by any fair comparison.

20. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    When is the first delivery of the McLaren in UK and US? We are expecting them in Oct or Nov in Singapore.

21. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Not sure about UK, but late summer is the projection for U.S. and Canada. September is the best guess I have heard thus far.

22. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    i think VIP cars are coming out now,customer cars mid to late june if there are no teething problems at the new factory

23. GT-TT

GT-TT Rookie

Apr 20, 2011
    my friend is getting one in june (allegedly). Mine due october fingers crossed..