The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974) | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 375america, Oct 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    BigTex,
    Looking forward to reviewing the books. Your insight and background info is appreciated. I was hoping for additional insights from this forum, and certainly did not expect the caliber of the people listed in the "name drop memo" you've elaborated on. I'm sure the Harry Chambers chapter has much more to be written, and certainly Bianca Colizzi is still an open question.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, AJ Foyt is my neighbor....so the recognition of some of those names was no large deal. :D :D :D

I also have a personal interest in Harry Miller, whose racing engines became more widely known named after his draftsman, Offenhauser.

To clarify, Dean Batchelor authored a series of three books, on the Ferrari road cars.

Then, his work on the SoCal dry lakes scene is another fine publication.
    He completed it just before his death.

So, four titles (or maybe more), just scanning the shelves of my own library.

There are also some excellent photo essays of the racing scene of the time, Art Evans come to mind, with his excellent titles like "Remembering Pebble Beach" and others.
    He means the race track, not the modern concours.

Very glad I could help!!

Those business cards were a trip thru American motoring history, even on the paint research. His comments on the Italian quality were classic, but he was 'apples to oranges' to expect Cadillac chrome on one off Italian sculptures of door handles and trim mouldings.

Ferrari at the time was competing at two or three levels and cranking some road cars out, to pay the billls and live to play another day.

3. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #128 375america, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unrelated to 0353, thought the attached was relevant to the previous posts. It appears that during this era there was a relationship between Ferrari and TWA and the transport of racing parts and cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thanks for sharing. It does however not say whether it's flying in parts for the Ferrari cars taking part or race cars taking part in general.

Gr. Martin

5. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Agreed. The presumption of a relationship is intuited from the context of the other TWA Skyliner articles. Before I discovered this archive, to me Harry Chambers was only a name, a previous owner of 0353, an employee of TWA and a friend of my father. It seems likely that with the start of operations of TWA in Milan in February, 1950, with Harry Chambers in charge, and references to his involvement with racing, there is a little more context for understanding his ownership of the car. Other questions for which I have no answer include when the original engine was replaced by the Ferrari factory, why was it replaced and who decided to have the replacement done. And, of course, who was Bianca Colizzi?

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One of my Ferraris got an engine replaced early in life under warranty, I assume it broke.

It could have been returned for "upgrades" and replaced with a later more current version.

7. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #132 375america, May 28, 2014
    Background for the above. In regards to the Engine substitution, does anyone know how to obtain Ferrari factory records? If existing and available, the early history of 0353 might be clarified considerably if these were available.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Your difficulty in the early records from Ferrari is the modern awareness of privacy requirements. There is also an awareness of the value of "matching numbers" but on a one off, not so much. Marcel Massini might have something??

The Factory would most likely only discuss such matters with the current owner.

You might initiate the request thru Ferrari North America, or even your local dealer. It never hurts to ask!

You really have the bones of a good historical article for a publication like Classic Car or Octane.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #134 Marcel Massini, May 28, 2014
    The original engine 0353 AL was NOT replaced. Not at all.
    It is still in the car today. The car is still matching numbers and all correct.
    It was born as a 3 liter engine and in 1955 bored out from 3 to 4.5 Liters displacement. This work was done by the Assistenza Clienti at Viale Trento Trieste (factory customer service department) in Modena.
    This is also confirmed by Dr. Gozzi's letter dated 14 February 1975 and sent to then owner Wayne Golomb in IL/USA.

Marcel Massini

stevenwk likes this.
  10. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Thank you for the clarification. It appears I have also misquoted "The Ordeal By Auto" as well, it clearly states Harry Chambers acquired the car from a Doctor, not a Dentist. Do you have any information about Bianca Colizzi?

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I own all the old Italian road registration documents.
    20 December 1954 this car was sold new by Enzo Ferrari to first owner Mrs Bianca Colizzi, daughter of Giuseppe Colizzi, resident at Via Salaria 422 in Rome, Italy, price paid was Italian Lire 4'000’000. On the 31st December 1954 the Italian license plates of Rome "Roma 215282" were issued for Colizzi. In 1955 the engine was bored out from 3 to 4.5 liters at the factory customer dept.
    10 October 1956 Mrs Colizzi sold 0353 AL to the second owner Harry Burl Chambers, born on the 15th of September 1924 in Indiana/USA, son of Harry Chambers, temporarily resident at the Automobile Club of Rome domiciled at Via Salaria 243 in Rome, Italy, price paid was Italian Lire 2'000’000.
    July 1, 1958, Chambers sold it to third owner Joseph Scott Fitch, born on the 2nd February 1910 in Springfield/MO, USA, temporarily resident at the Automobile Club of Varese at Via Sacco in Varese, Italy, but resident in Los Angeles, CA/USA, the declared sales price was Italian Lire 100’000.
    July 11, 1958, the car was re-registered on Italian license plates of Varese "VA 61116". The car was exported from Italy to CA/USA on the 13th December 1958.
    The super exclusive original hardtop is still with the car today.

Marcel Massini

12. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Excellent documentation, thank you for the post. As usual, your details are amazing. This certainly firms up the timeline. A minor correction to the historical record: My father was born February 21, 1910 in Clark County, Springfield, Ohio. I only know this because Ed Niles sent me a copy of his birth certificate on September 12, 2001. Maybe Bianca Colizzi's husband was a Doctor?

13. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    A belated response to BigTex (#125) "Those guys all in one room could have built a space craft, anything really."

They did...

Attached Files:

375+ likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Scott I just reread the entire thread. Fantastic, thanks again for posting.

15. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Thanks for the heads up. After ± 20 years, it's good to finally see current pictures of the car. Not sure about purple seats though...

16. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    The waiting is over. A new chapter begins…

20 years ago, I asked a simple question: Who is the current owner of 0353? My intent was to reunite the “original documents (brochures, owner's manual, letters, pictures, negatives and books)” found in my father’s estate with the car.
    10 years ago, I was informed by Marcel Massini that the current owner “is just not interested in any paperwork or documents.”

Now there is a new owner.

Needless to say (but I’ll write it anyway) it has been an enlightening experience to resurrect and preserve the provenance of this unique Ferrari from 1958 through 1974. I never imagined (courtesy of internet Ferrari forums and participants) that details of the prior and subsequent owners of the car would be brought to light. Although the post 1974 story is yet to be written, my hope is that it will continue with new pieces of the puzzle added.

I’d like to express my many thanks to those on this forum (and others…some still here and some not…) who contributed information, anecdotes and reminiscences about the story of this car. Not only did this enhance this particular post, but also helped me to understand the passion Ferrari engenders in its owners. Including my father.

This post would not have been possible without the input, advice and assistance of Marcel Massini. I am also indebted to Mike Daley with RM Sotheby’s for reaching out (in spite of numerous impediments) to inform me of the anticipated sale and perform his “due diligence” for his write up in the auction catalogue. I did not know of the involvement of Luigi Musso in the second sale of the car, or the back story of Bianca Colizzi. RM Sotheby’s generosity in providing me the opportunity to “reunite” with 0353 in Monterey (after a lapse of ±60 years) as well as publishing the first pictures seen since 1970 was both unexpected and appreciated.

All that remains is the disposition of the artifacts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

FF4X4, GIOTTO, Tenney and 8 others like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    @Mr. Fitch:
    Very nice meeting you in Monterey.
    0353 AL was sold to a major collector in TX and will soon be fully restored by world's best restorer Paul Russell & Co. in Essex, MA.
    It is in excellent hands now. A truly sensational Ferrari.

Marcel Massini

Tenney, ivo73, mcimino and 3 others like this.
  18. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Enjoyed meeting you in person as well. Good news on the restoration. In 2013 I found a Ferrari-Vignale enamel badge (crossed flags) in some miscellaneous artifacts, so naturally I posted a query (Forum: "Ferrari Club Badge Enamel Grille" 2013-07-27, Posts #236-#243) to find out where it may have been located. (Not sure how to post a link to the thread...) Thanks to Scuderia69, I found a badge resembling the one I had in a 1961 picture of the trunk. I've reattached a blowup of the picture to this post, and picture of the trunk from the RM Sotheby's collection of photos for the auction. I have no idea what the "I" shaped thing is above the badge in the 1961 photo, or whether this configuration was original or not. I have in a letter dated 1970-11-23 to Wayne Golomb a note stating "Body by Vignale, Believe was originally all aluminum but now has a rear deck of Steel. Possibly the result of an accident."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ivo73 and readplays like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The "I" shaped thing is the country letter for Italy.
    Can be found on numerous very early Ferraris on the trunk.

Marcel Massini

ivo73 and readplays like this.
  20. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Makes sense. Another piece of the puzzle (in record time), thanks Marcel...

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    A great thread to re-read!
    Thank you to all who contributed.
    Regards,
    Art S.