The sound of bouncing 2x4's.. | FerrariChat

The sound of bouncing 2x4's..

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Britward, Sep 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    I read somewhere here recently that it would be apparent when the rear suspension had failed as it would sound like a pile of 2x4's bouncing when going a bump.

So that's what that noise is!

Right now the rear is indeed a bit solid but perfectly acceptable, in fact it corners very well, and there is no sagging at all when it sits. Well, me a bit, perhaps.

Where is this headed? Is it likely to start to sag at the rear? Should I get ahead of it before it embarrasses me outside the grocery store? I would have thought that if it had truly failed then the system wouldn't maintain a charge, but that's not the case.

Or is the suspension fine and are there really some 2x4's in my trunk somewhere?

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    It is easy to check the system function. With motor running, disconnect the single bolt connecting the control piston to the rear roll bar. Stroke the piston rod and suspension should rise and fall. If it is not working then look for a solution.
    Ken

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I just replaced both my rear suspension spheres and it is sitting up very high (looks like a pickup) and rides like a skateboard, hard as a rock in the back with ZERO dampening.

I suspect there may be an issue with how the leveling valve was attached/positioned to the roll bar (I had the roll bar removed for a repaint).

Before replacing the spheres make sure the valve is correctly positioned before you start replacing parts...as I did.

Lets see tomorrow, will have the bolt removed and see if it goes back down.