Thinking About Oil/Filter Change | FerrariChat

Thinking About Oil/Filter Change

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    It's been a year so now it's time to change my engine oil and filter. I put less than 1000 miles on my 328 each year. So I'm thinking what is the sense of changing the filter in addition to the oil. It would seem to me that mileage is what would cause a filter to need replacing. Granted a bit of old oil will be left in the filter if it is not changed but these engines hold quite a bit so it'll get lost. I'm thinking about changing the filter every other year. I used to zip open the used filter to look for metal parts or anything else on the filter medium but had never found anything so I quit doing it.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't believe you need to do a mini-major every 3-5K miles, pull the heads, replace every gasket. It's expensive. Probably overkill, if you aren't seeing any obvious issues.

But dude. Seriously. Do you serve your freshly-prepared dinner on leftover scraped plates from breakfast, or do you grab clean plates from the cabinet?

Spend the $14 on the oil filter and do it the correct way.

Rosey likes this.
  3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    It's not the cost. It the effort and the cleaning off the oil from the engine that occurs when removing the old filter. Even with wrapping rags around the base of it, some mess is made. On the other side of the coin is starting of the engine with a new empty filter. I'd rather have one full of old oil than an empty new one. I guess one could prefill the new filter.

Suppose you've showered and changed all your clothes in preparation to go out to dinner with your wife. She doesn't like your shoes and prefers you change them. OK, should I also change my socks that have barely been worn.......

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    On my '82 308GTSi the oil filter never drips a drop when changing. Not sure what the difference is on 328 vs 308. After replacing the filter I hit the kill switch and crank until the oil light goes out not very long at all. Then start as normal.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That sounds messier than it should be. I barely get any mess at all. Are you properly warming the engine up before you drain it, and allowing sufficient time for all the oil to leave before you remove the filter?

No, but I doubt you'd be wearing socks that had been worn for a year and not laundered. ;)

6. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The oil change is always done after the car has been driven. Then I wait a while until the Baldwin filter is cool enough to hold in my hand.

But it seems wasteful to me to change the filter with every oil change when the car is only driven 1000 miles a year. Some drive theirs many more miles each year without changing the oil filter. So what's the difference.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The oil filter is cheap enough that shouldn't be mind changing it even if it only has few miles on it.

8. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    You should change the filter every time you change the oil. Period. If you're making a big mess while removing the old filter then you aren't doing something right.

And no, you would rather have an empty new filter rather than a filled old one. Starting the engine with the right amount of oil with an empty filter will not cause engine oil starvation. The filter fills immediately with a lot of oil to spare.

If you don't want to change your oil after 1000 miles, then don't change the oil. But to change the oil while leaving a dirty filter in place defeats the whole point of changing the oil.

OR, let us know the SN of the car so we can avoid it when it comes time to sell. (That's what Brian always says.)

-F

9. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Don't understand your logic. What's the difference in driving the car 2000 miles a year and changing both the filter and oil versus driving it 1000 in a year, then changing the oil, then driving it another 1000 miles for another year and changing both filter and oil. A Ferrari is just an automobile.

10. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I would like technical reasoning, not merely what is customary.

obertRo likes this.
  11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Dumbest question in a long time. Do what the heck you want and stop asking asinine questions.

First off, if you start your car, drive it to warm up the oil and then pull the filter there will be oil in the filter which is why you make a mess. Either wait or take a phillips head screedriver and punch a hole in the filter to let the oil drain. As you don't drive the car just wait til the next morning to replace the filter which will take 2 minutes and there will be no mess.

Anyone who does not replace the filter is dumb, cheap or lazy. Maybe all 3. You give me one reason not to replace the filter. Exactly.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    In the first example, the filter media was soaked in oil for 1 year.
    In the second example, the media was soaked in oil for 2 years.

There's the difference.

The media inside the filter breaks down over time, and loses it's ability to do magical things. In addition, short/small trips have a greater impact on the oil/filter than longer extended trips.

Some of the actuals on what is happening to your oil and filter would require chemical analysis. But the basics here are sound. If the filter only cared about pure miles, then you could technically put 100 miles/year on your car, and change the oil (and filter) every 10-15 years. No one would recommend that, of course.

13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    You'd change the filter for basically the same reason you change the oil.

I mean, the reason you change the oil after only 1000 miles is you just don't want one year old oil, even though it still has more life in it mileage wise. Well, the oil in the filter is as old as the oil in the crank case.

Or not. It's your car.

-F

14. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    You've got a lot to say with no technical reasoning as I asked. That's bec
    And here are two answers from two different types of people. One merely spouts off thinking he's superior when I can assure you he is not. He casts insults behind the anonymity of the internnet The second answer makes good sense and is the civilized answer I was seeking. Thank you thorn.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You come in here and ask a question. When people give you an answer you don't agree with, you then ask for a technical reason for their answer. I help you understand why you are getting oil dripping all over your engine to help you make the oil filter change less painful.

IMO, you waste alot of peoples time with a very minor point and you still have not provided one reason for not changing it other than you get oil all over your engine, which is why I gave my answer. Help make you reflect on what the real root reason for your resistance to change the filter after you said is not an economic.

So once more why would you not? Just one tecnical answer please.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have been the owner of this 1987 328GTS since early 1988 and I have changed the oil (along with filter each time), replaced timing belts, main seals, cam seals, an oil cooler, and two water pumps (second pump in the mail somewhere), I have adjusted valves, and successfully replaced the seal in the York AC compressor that now has lasted since late 2012. I have other vehicles, one an AMG MB and the other is a BMW. Both of them provide messages indicating when it's time to change the oil, and I would assume the filter along with it. However, there is no time limit on either. The computers appear to only count miles, not elapsed time. At the moment both of these vehicles have had the same filter and oil in place for 18 months because they have not reached the mileage limit. The computer in the BMW indicated it was time to change the battery right at 5 years even though the battery was fine and would start the engine hardly dimming the headlights. It showed good voltage and appeared perfectly good to me so I think it was on a time schedule. This indicates the programming of the software accounts for time as well. But it does not account for a one year time frame with the engine oil and filter. Hence, my 'stupid lazy' question about the necessity of filter change after only one year with low mileage.

17. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But then again, for a lousy $15 or less, why not replace it,what harm can it do?

18. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The true test is whether or not you will tell a prospective owner you don't change the filter each time you change the oil. I know I'm not providing a technical based answer but we all know how anal prospective Ferrari buyers are. Its $15.00 and a little clean up. Not a big deal. Just do it and move on.

syata likes this.
  19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Did it and moved on.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    You would justify a change of oil even after low use to ensure you have no moisture and combustion byproducts sitting in the car if it goes into in seasonal storage. It is absolutely overkill, but there is some benefit to storing with fresh oil. If you do not seasonally store, but just use the car for limited periods during the year, changing after one year is just not necessary. I would say even every two years would still be overkill, but nothing wrong with a bit of overkill on an expensive vintage engine.

There is a standpipe in the oil filter so even if you let it sit/drain overnight (or use an awl and punch a couple of holes, that's what I do, if you pull the filter straight up nothing should leak out), there is still about 1/3 the oil filter volume sitting in the filter. I think not changing the filter is reasonable, that's not much old oil verses the huge new volume that goes into the car. Probably that much in volume residue stays in the engine anyways, you can't drain every drop. So if you feel good to do the oil every year, doing the filter every two is completely fine.

The arguments about change it anyway, its cheap, are of course correct , in that if you were truly "cheap" you wouldn't change the oil either for maybe 3 or 4 years, especially if certain synthetics, where they make it extended drain interval for a reason and changing out expensive oil frequently is not making use of the additive package. You should use cheaper oils (they are cheaper because the additive package is cheaper, not the oil itself) for more frequent changes. I do not like waste. The cost is not the issue, its the principle of limiting waste. If the filter cost $1,000, no one would change it after 1,000 miles of use. Just because it is cheap is not an excuse for waste.

WaltP likes this.
  21. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    1) Changing the oil and filter, on a regular basis, is the only maintenance in my opinion that matters the most. But, just my opinion.
    2) I would never consider changing the oil in any vehicle without changing the filter.
    3) I have run multiple vehicles to 200K+ miles with regular oil & filter changes, plus other scheduled maintenance, on original motor.
    4) How long do you plan to keep this car? (If <10 years who cares?)

:):)

22. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh, regarding the filter since it's vertical why in the world would you try to install one with oil? It can only leak and make a mess. My Rx-7 had a vertical oil filter. On such a vehicle it's impossible to install with oil inserted.

I have decided the idea of inserting oil into a filter before installation is insane. The lack of lubrication in the seconds before the engine is satiated is minuscule.

Again, how long are you going to drive the vehicle?

I have an almost 30 year old Harley I drive regularly and I don't worry about filling the oil filter before installation. And that old bike has 138,000 miles.

:):)

23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you use the correct filter that has the stand pipe inside the filter then you can put oil in side about 2/3 full and install without spilling. This is why hardly any oil spills out when you remove the old one.

24. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hi Lawrence,
    I think you question is a good one, and being an engineer myself, I'm not fond of anecdotal or tradition-based (or ego-based) answers.
    I took your question to someone I met who spoke to our Automotive Association at the annual conference. His answer is below.
    Basically, he says there is no simple answer because of the variety of climates and driving habits among us all. However, each of us can have an answer tailored to our situation by sending our oil in for analysis. This is not expensive, and will give you the answer you seek. I'd be very curious if in fact some of us are doing oil changes needlessly too often, and wasting perfectly good oil.
    Cheers,
    Robert

A technical definition of when to change oil is when the acid level of the oil exceeds the base number, when the level of solids (soot, etc...) exceeds the dispercency (ability to suspend solids) of the oil the or when the oil is contaminated with high levels of water, fuel or something else that impairs the ability of the oil to function properly.

I doubt many people would argue with that definition, but the question is most likely how to know when those conditions have been met (or are close to being met).

The most reliable way to know the condition of your oil is to perform routine used oil analysis. That is the method that provides data. While some other methods do exist, used oil analysis is the most reliable method. I am currently working on a method to test all three of these in the field (no more sending in a sample and waiting). However, that technology is not ready yet.

In the meantime, arbitrary methods such as calendar based or mileage based change intervals leave much room for improvement. Here is why.

The chemical degradation of oil is called oxidation. The rate of oxidation depends on the environment. For example, a humid environment that sees regular temperature swings is much more likely to increase oxidation than a dry environment that sees relatively stable temperatures. That is why oil can “go bad” in an engine during storage - the environment can induce oxidation and contamination (water condensation in humid conditions).

The problem with mileage based change intervals is that driving conditions have a massive impact on the rate of oxidation. Contrary to conventional wisdom, light driving over short intervals is actually harder on the engine oil than high speed driving over long intervals. In fact, it is better for the Oil to drive 80 mph through the desert than to drive 1 mile each day through the Winter in Minnesota. Short trip driving never allows the oil to warm up enough to evaporate off contaminates like water and fuel. As a result, short trip driving will result in a shorter oil life compared to longer trip, highway driving.

And one more thing, don’t trust the Oil life monitor to give you 100%, fool proof information. You see, Oil life monitors are not actually sampling the oil, so it is not the same as actually sampling the oil to determine the condition of the oil. Instead, the oil life monitor functions by using a computer algorithm to predict oil life based on the operating conditions of the engine. Think about it like a debit and credit system, and based on how you drive the car, the computer adjusts the expected oil life. If you do lots of short trip, cold weather driving, it should adjust the oil life to compensate for that.

In the end, I recommend doing used oil analysis on regular basis (at least once or twice a year) to develop a good baseline for your specific vehicle and driving conditions.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Lake Speed, Jr.
    Driven Racing Oil

25. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Clarification: Actually, your question was about not changing the filter when doing an annual oil change. I did not get a response to that, but instead to the related question of how often must we change our oil.