Thoughts on the Audi allroad... | FerrariChat

Thoughts on the Audi allroad...

Discussion in 'Other German' started by FrankN, Dec 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrankN

FrankN Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Frank N.
    Does anyone have an experience with these? I like to get something that is 4wd but sporty also. I had a Ford Explorer with the 5.0 engine a few years back a loved it but the gas mileage was terrible. I love the audi A4s and A6s but I think the allroad is great because of the adjustable suspension and twin turbo engine which can be uodated easily from what I've found on the net.

Any model years to keep away from, known problems, must have options?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I think you might get a better response from sites like Audiworld.com and RS6.com. Check in the allroad chat rooms.

While I've never had an allroad, I own an RS6 and have had numerous Audis (mostly Avants). I've always been pleased except for the fact that the cars I've owned were underpowered. The RS6 has addressed that issue, but it's not an inexpensive car (although they've gotten pretty attractive in the used market, lately). The one thing I would take particular interest in checking out on the allroad is the suspension system. It raises and lowers the car several inches. While I can't say if it's a known problem or not on the allroad (as the allroad and RS6 have different suspensions), the DRC suspension on the RS6 has sprung leaks and drained out in a number of cars. This has required replacement of the entire suspension as the shocks bottom out and are damaged.

That said, Audi's warranty seems to have pretty good coverage. They have extended warranties available, of course, and if you buy a used car, make sure you buy one with that is CPO'd (which is transferrable and provides extensive coverage beyond the original warranty period). Only recently has Audi, like Mercedes, eliminated included scheduled maintenance. So, if you buy a new Audi, all maintenance is now on you.

Good luck.

CW

3. FrankN

FrankN Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Frank N.
    Thanks for the info and the websites, I'll definetly check them out. The suspension is one component that I'm actually worried about, I'll make sure to take particular attention to that.

Frank

4. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I owned one for a while. I bought a 2001 new with a 6sp manual. I really liked the car except for the 6sp. I should have purchased the tiptronic auto. while driving in city traffic in 3rd gear, the rpm's sit right in the boost area for the turbos. I found that in order to safely maintain a 30-40 mph speed you ended up lugging around in 4th gear.
    Other than that, it was a great car. Make sure that the windsheild wiper recall was done if you look for an early model. The timing was off on mine and I sat on the side of the roadwith non functional wipers waiting for a storm to pass.

great car though.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ... all the scheduled maintenance plus normal wear parts. BMW's maintenance program is much better. I'm pessimistic regarding the routine costs on my '08 Audi TT, though I love the car. Pads, rotors and tires seem to wear rapidly.

I have the S-Tronic tranny (DSG) -- not as fun as a stick, but much better than a Tiptronic. Not sure you can get that in the awd Audis, though.

6. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Stay away from Audi/VW products. The engineering is great but the dealers,parts and service are the worst. Too many things go wrong that should not go wrong and the cars are a real PITA to work on even for routine maintence. Get you self a Subaru and be a lot happier.

7. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    My dad has a 2002 Audi A6 twin Turbo and bbs rims, top speed is 270.. and it was lowerd, the engine was chiped before and it could go 290 but that was later removed..

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    270 what?????

9. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Contact Hank Sound on this forum, he has one and absolutely loves it

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I have 2005 and it now has almost 60,000 miles on it. Fantastic car for the mountains and great at altitude. The gas milage is not great, I live at 7,500 feet and come up from Denver every day, 20 - 22 mpg on the highway (lots of uphill driving). Second Audi with the 2.7 turbo motor, last one was a 2001 S4 with MTM stage 1 310 bhp. No engine problems and generally reliable in the 150,000 miles I have driven both cars. If you can get Audi assured it seems to make sense, if the air suspension goes it will more than pay for itself. I am very happy with them and hope that Audi will offer a suitable replacement when its time for the Allroad to go, Q7, Cayenne, Toureg, no need, too big and not fun for me to drive. I had a BMW M3 prior to the S4, as far as reliability, lets just say the M3 more than prepared me for the ownership of my F355, 2 years of ownership, over 15 times in the shop. The F355 has been much more reliable, and a ton more fun. I do agree that the Audi dealerships are not great, but other than Lexus, I can't say I am that impressed with any dealerships for service. I second the recommendation to visit Audiworld.com to research the Allroad, great site and lots of information.

11. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    The gas mileage on the A6/allroad 2.7T isn't very good....I'm lucky to get 17mpg avg. Engine is pure silk though! The Tq wave is awesome

12. FrankN

FrankN Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Frank N.
    Thanks for all the info guys, one thing I like about the allroad is the fact that the suspension is adjustable and I lovbe the look of it. I checked out audiworld.com and it does have a lot of information. Seems like the most frquent problem is the suspension but from what I've read them seem simple enough to fix.

Frank

13. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Good luck on the Aw forums....bunch of pricks! If you ask about chipping the Allroad expect someone to post a Dorito or Pringle etc. And if you post a question about Allroad reliability etc, expect STFA....So respond with, "I'm straight, so I couldn't check the ***gy archives"........Why do I get banned from all these forums?? Ha