Thoughts On The Quail - A Motorsports Gathering | FerrariChat

Thoughts On The Quail - A Motorsports Gathering

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm curious to hear opinions about the Quail - A Motorsports Gathering during Pebble Beach week. In the world of high end concourses, where does the Quail sit? Is it considered a big deal to show a car at the Quail? I've heard amazing things about the event but I've never attended. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What can you say? It's Northern California is the summertime. Fantastic cars. Great people. More than once, I have driven past the entrance and was sorely tempted to keep on driving. One of these days.

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Very good points. I’ve heard incredible things about the Quail. I guess my question is if it’s condidered a great concourse (at the level of the Cavallino Classic and FCA Nationals) or is it just an amazing gathering of great cars and food. It seems like a real honor to show a car there.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nothing beats Pebble Beach. Then again, it is very hard to get a car on the lawn. As far as everybody else, I don't think ranking them makes any sense. Each event is what it is. Go to all of them.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That year when CI bused everybody to the site was a real pile of crap.
    I believe that the next year was the year I changed to Quail.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I haven't been to CI since 2004/2005, when it was on the golf course. But it was psychedelic. The blue/green of the Pacific with fog hanging off the coast. Bright sunshine and a cool breeze. The bright green lawn covered with red, yellow and other color Ferraris. I was straight as an arrow, but it was like winds of the old days. I just sat down and dug it.

7. Williamjweiner

Jun 6, 2017
    Los gatos
    IMO and living in the area when Pebble became a parking nightmare around 10+ years ago and I switched to Quail that at the time was Cavvalino site and it was a friendly car guy event. Shortly after the venue became an in house by Quail that has become better every year and finds a way to be more grand as it goes on, and as the tickets are limited in qty. it has not suffered the Pebble demise. Not mentioning traffic as every event that week in Monterey shares epic congestion. Quail is the premier event if you don’t mind $600.00 for lunch for one, but the car viewing and catching up with old friends is free.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Would love to hear from anyone who has entered a car at the Quail. How was the experience?

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's 650 $ plus another 150 $ for the VIP parking, making a total of $ 800, for a day.

Marcel Massini

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Quail is a lifestyle event with a car show attached to it, most in attendance are not car enthusiasts. You will however see the best looking women of all of the Monterey events at the Quail.

TTR, Texas Forever and Lusso123 like this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It looks like an amazing experience. You only live once.

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The trick is getting a ticket.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    The Quail is, as mentioned earlier, more like a "life-style" event, not a properly judged Concours d'Elegance in a traditional sense, like Cavallino, FCA Nationals or Pebble Beach.
    Winners are chosen by popular vote by entrants only.
    OTOH, probably more than half the events around Monterey in mid-August are already catering more to some sort of "life-style"(?) thing than cars.
    And contrary to common beliefs, tickets seem to always be available and easy to get, but are they worth it ?
    I've found it best to wait until last minute when scalpers panic and take offers at great discounts.

Lusso123 and 375+ like this.