Ticking sound from engine bay - help my paranoia! | FerrariChat

Ticking sound from engine bay - help my paranoia!

Discussion in '308/328' started by chrisbinsb, Mar 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #1 chrisbinsb, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So yes, the combination of new owner and still needing to learn, well, everything about the mechanical aspects of the car is making me neurotic and paranoid about every sound, but I think this one I need to pay attention to.

A few weeks ago, I began to hear a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I heard it at first over my left shoulder while driving, opened up the back and could hear it more clearly then. I called my mechanic and he had me come over right away. We found a loose bracket and re-connected it but the ticking remained. (you can see the shiny new bolt just to the left and bottom of center in the photo)

I talked to some friends at our local cars and coffee - they took a listen and felt it was probably an exhaust leak and we made plans to test for that. But since I am paranoid and have to wait to test it, I've been checking more.

I searched other threads and found several that identified the AC belt as the problem so I got some belt dressing and took another look/listen. I'm still pretty clueless, but the best I could figure out, the AC belt is one of the two I can see on the passenger side of the engine bay. If it is, there isn't a sound coming from there and it doesn't go away when it warms up.

It does change with engine speed - when I first start the car, it's faster, then slows down as the RPM's drop. I can hear it most clearly right over the area shown in the photo. Beyond that, it's hard to tell where it's coming from - as I turn my head it seems to come from different directions. I don't hear it from under the sides. Attached is a sound clip taken with my iphone from the engine bay right where the photo is taken from.

I'm really hoping it's the exhaust leak, but any addional ideas or advice is welcome. Most important, I don't want to be driving it if I'm damaging something.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Exhaust leaks is definitely a possibility. Also verify that all of your spark plugs are tight and that one hasn't backed out.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    have you checked your spark plug wires? you may have some arching going on... turn off the lights in your garage and see you can see any blue arcs? it maybe the spark plug extenders .... did you notice any power loss or studder at low rpm?

if its not spark plug / wires - then exhaust leak is most likely what i hear.

4. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    For me it ended up being a bolt on the the co2 test port, basically an exhaust leak on the header. It was nerve wracking until it was diagnosed so I feel your pain. One thing I learned you can't let these cars make you too paranoid otherwise you will never enjoy it. I had mine out today after four months (broken leg), and after a half hour I really put her through her paces. Grinning from ear to ear. Hope it is minor and you are back on the road soon.

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #5 PT 328, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    In addition to the previous advice....you are correct the AC belt is one the two belts you are seeing on the passenger side. Did you try spraying some belt dressing on the AC belt to see if the problem stopped? It would be the first thing I would try as it is quick and easy to verify if that belt is the culprit and in need of an adjustment or replacement. These belts have the tendency to have the snapping sound when the temps drop.

What is your oil level?

It may very well be an exhaust leak but I would check the AC belt, even though you say it doesn't appear to be coming from that area, then PROPERLY check your oil level first before moving on to find a possible exhaust leak.

When was the car last serviced and what was performed?

6. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Do this first. Then check the drive belts.

Lots of good advice so far.

7. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Chris, I quickly checked the threads you have started and found you have had multiple issues with this car thus far. Have you been able to sort out the weak start/clicking relay issue, the leaking brake fluid, the rattling dash etc..?

If you want I will be home all day tomorrow and would be willing to take a call to try and help you through this or other issues. If you want some verbal assistance send me PM and I will give you my number. I know member JonesDDS lives in SB. You may also want to reach out to him to see if he is willing to provide some hands on advice.

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    PM sent, happy to help as I'm local.

9. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Chris,
    Remember I have a lift if it helps you diagnose/fix this
    Mike

10. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Thanks Jeff and Chris. Jeff, I was hoping I wasn't overstepping my bounds by throwing your name in the mix.

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Oh, didn't see that when I posted, no problems at all. Don't really know any fellow 3x8 owners in town so it would be nice to know some other owner here. Chris,feel free to contact me, I'd have a little time tommorow then not for awhile as I'm traveling.

Jeff

12. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Thanks everyone for responding. It's been a busy day for me and I'm pretty exhausted now, but I just wanted to say thanks and I'll be able to respond in more detail tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    with the car warm at idle and making the noise, cycle the a/c on and off with the lid open and see if the sound changes pitch with the a/c clutch engaging / disengaging. This can also be done with the headlights to put a load on the alternator to see if the load affects weird Ferrari noises. :)

Otherwise it is most likely an exhaust leak at the flange gasket or the header / manifold. if you have California emissions crap, then it could be the check valves for the air pumps
    ( if applicable) or the test ports at the headers .

14. Constance

Constance Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Kembs - France
    Full Name:
    Constance
    #14 Constance, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #15 PT 328, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    If the find ends up being you need to change the exhaust gasket(s) it appears from the parts cross reference page that the part number is FEL PRO 8194. These are available and cheap:

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,6,partnum,8194,d,fel-pro_8194.html

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=FEL%20PRO%208194&dds=1

Another gasket found to work perfectly for the QV (found in another thread) are:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/96/bmw/850ci/gaskets_seals/exhaust_seal_ring.html?3593=68600

16. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Tried spraying some belt dressing on the belts today with no change. Worth a try anyway. Oil level was checked about a week ago and was slightly below max - maybe go ahead and add some?

Last service was December when I bought it. New fluids and belts were done then.

17. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I'll try this - thanks!

18. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Yup, I've had a bunch of little things - about what I expected when I bought the car. The leaking brake fluis was a leaking caliper and was rebuilt, the rattling dash was one of the bolts behind the "idiot lights" and was fixed easily. The weak starting is still there, I've found that if it seems to be coming, giving a quick push on the gas pedal starts the car right up. I've also bought a replacement relay and plan to put in it if the car has really bad time starting. That way, if it starts right up, I know that was the problem. I'm kind of thinking it's really a warm-up sensor issue just based on other thread, but we'll see.

Thanks much for the offer of help (I'm sure I will take you up on it) and the local contact!

19. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I have a very similar sound at cold running also as loud as in the above sound clip. It seems too loud for the A/C belt. Does anybody know what the cause was at chrisbinsb car was??

thanks a lot in advance

20. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
  21. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Does sound like its leaking exhaust at one of the cyl. The reason is the uneven pattern of the sound. Check the exhaust header/manifold.

22. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Must be a slightly leaking gasket. As soon as the engine heats up and there is enough thermal expansion from the parts the small leak gets closed, that is probably why you only hear it when the engine is still cold.

23. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Does it disappear once warmed up?
    Does it happen all the time?More so when the weather is cold?
    That sounds like the AC belt on my car but it only happens occasionally depending on the weather but goes awy within a couple of minutes after start up.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Sounds like an exhaust leak to me, coming from one cylinder. IOW, it's most likely to be at the exhaust manifold gasket for that cylinder or the air injection tube for that cylinder.

25. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    Thanks everybody. The car is a 1988 328GTS with ABS. The noise disappears when warm after like 10 minutes. It is not the AC belt since I had that noise in the past as well but was not this loud. The exhaust leak seems best option. I bring the car on an ambulance to the shop and keep all informed.