Tie rod hitting top of front sway bar link? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Tie rod hitting top of front sway bar link?

Discussion in '308/328' started by LOBO1, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok I thought it could be optical

2. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    Part numbers are correct but we did double check several along the way, came from GT Car Parts in Phoenix. Tightened the A Arms with the car off the ground, torqued to Ferrari specifications.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok so, tightened off the ground in what position? down up center?

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    And have you talked with Bill at Gt? Not that it would be great help, but WTH

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    One thing I notice, (it may be the photo) is the lower shock spring perch seems to different than my car. How far is it from the bottom of the spring to the lower shock mounting bolt? From some of the photos it looks like you have more exposed shock (red) below the spring than on my car. When you put the car down on the ground does the front end ride high?

absostone likes this.
  6. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    Yes, he's our best friend.. Probably on his blocked call list now. ha ha.

A Arms were tightened in a centerish position.

absostone likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually was on a list of questions in my mind from last week. lets see where this goes

8. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    It does ride high but we don't really have anything (engine, spare tire, seats...) in the car currently.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Damn

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I assume you are in Glendale/ Phx? No need to answer in public if u don't want. When I go to AZ im about 6 miles from GTCP

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OK I can't get a good picture because it's DARK, and my tires are on, but from looking at my driver's side with the wheel on, you're assembly is actually "not far off".

As my car sits suspension loaded, on the ground, there's about an inch between the ball joint bolt end and the upper top of the sway bar dog bone.
    "I will say" that this clearance will be produced, if you lube the bushings well with oil, drop your car on the ground, throw the battery into the trunk, etc.

At that point, the a arms and spindle are moving upward on the pivots of the bushing bolts, yet the sway bar and dogbones are moving with the lower a arm, captive to a lesser amount. You will be preloading the sway bar as the whole suspension combined rises.

At the end of the day, in situ, my ball joint bolt in is about 1" forward of the dog bone top, forward of it, and well over 1" clearance from the bolt to the other components, rearward in the car. I don't even think my steering arm Would graze it "full lock" as Martins, but I will play with it, next time it's in the air!!!

And my spare tire is not installed which would make it a little better.
    Or I am totally wrong and will look again in the daylight.

Looking at how you have built it, against the Parts Diagram I cannot find one foot put wrong!

12. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    Bottom of the shock spring to the center of the mounting bolt is 2.5"

Yes, Phoenix is our location and we usually make a couple trips a week to see Bill.

absostone likes this.
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    God hates a coward! LOLOLOL!

Se my wild conjecture, set forth below....

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Parts diagrams can be wrong on details, swapping the thick spacer with the normal ones would move the top a arm 1/8", (to the good of the clearance) but I don't think that's your issue. Put a floor jack under the lower ball joint and jack it up, see if that does as I guessed...???

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It looks like mine is about 2 1/4 ,but it is difficult to measure on the ground. Is it possible that you have the wrong springs or rear springs on front? Just thinking out loud.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Bob, if the car is set on the ground and you ratchet strap or/ push down on the front of the car and get the chasiss down to the Work Shop Manual Specs for chassis , does everything clear? On a GT4 I believe the chassis height is 5.25". not sure on a 308 but im sure its close. Im suspisious of the A arm tightening now. The car is supposed to be on the ground and the A arms loose and then tighten the bolts,{and bounce the car up and down a few times to settle everything} and yes I know the engine etc is not installed. On my Gt I had perfectly sized blocks of wood to set the car onto Via the A arm ends so I can get to the Arm bolts without having the wheels on the car

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    man this thing is a PITA, poor Bobs Ferrari exp isn't going great,

18. LOBO1

LOBO1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    BOB LOEB
    While writing my updates, our main technician was messing around with the shims on the A Arms and appears to have created enough clearance.

He moved all four upper adjusting plates we had to the forward side and all four lowers to the back side. We're still low but the new caster angle allows the nut to move in front of the top of link.

Now when you continue to turn the wheel, the end of the sway bar hits the backing plate. Is that normal or should there be a steering stop?

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    its probably still low for lack of weight. But that's great news. but I think there are 2 plates per side of the upper B joint

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #170 absostone, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    What? the end of the sway bar hits the backing plate???????????

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Changing ride height can make a difference but it has been said that it should clear at full droop. It just a little geometry. The distance along the red line at full lock can not change. Similarly, the distance along the yellow line can not change. As the ride height is lowered, the yellow line would over lay the pink line eventually. This effectively means the lower mounting point of the dog bone moves down relative to the tie rod nut. So the distance along the green line would increase and, perhaps, provide sufficient clearance. But that would not stop the interference at full droop.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

One other possibility other than alignment, and I think it has bee discussed before, but the steering arms are keyed into the spindle. At about the 10 o'clock position on the right side and the 2 o'clock position on the left. I'm sure you checked, but is it possible that the spindles have been mounted upside down, on the wrong sides? The key ways would then be near 8 and 4 o'clock and, perhaps, the steering arms would slope down instead of up? That is pure speculation about assembly error. OK Bubba? :)

22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Maybe that sway bar is splayed. Try a different sway bar since they are usually available from breakers.

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    aah nice diagrams and info. but as far as the spindles go the long side of the spindle is upward and is correct. and Bob stated the steering arms were never removed.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    correct shocks front to rear? I think someone mentioned this. I think the rears are longer

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    check the shock numbers