Time for another....a little help picking a new (to me) Fcar | FerrariChat

Time for another....a little help picking a new (to me) Fcar

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rmlovett1, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Good evening all. Been on the forum for a few years, mostly a reader, not much of a poster. Thanks for all the insights and knowledge!
    Just recently retired, and became empty nested. Time to enjoy a little relaxation...and another Fcar. I’ve had Fcars In the past, 7 yrs ago or so, just too busy to enjoy them back then. (355, 360’s...one spider, one coupe) Now looking to spend xxx dollars on another Ferrari. What’s the consensus for spending 100 to 150K

All ideas, suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    #2 Schulz308, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    The 458 Italia is reachable

I wonder tho, Which F car is your ultimate fantasy if money was not the concern?

G. Pepper and ScottS like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Stretch a bit more and get the 458 Italia

4. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    For $100 to $150k there are a ton of options, from 430s, to 550 and 575ms, even an early FF is obtainable for these amounts. What are you looking for? The only issue I have with the 430s and also the 550/575 at this price point is you will have to take an F1 transmission car, which I just don’t care for, but it is a personal preference.

I agree with the others,,if you can stretch your budget a little further grab a 458.

5. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    I’d love a 458, just didn’t think it was attainable @ $150-160k

Was thinking that, but it’s probably a 20-30k stretch??

Was thinking maybe latest 430, as I loved the 360 design, and the 430 is visually close but a bit more advanced.

6. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Are there any issues to be concerned about on an early 458? (2010-2011)

7. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    It is just my opinion, but real Ferrari’s have 12cylinders!
    599 (maybe)

8. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
  9. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    There’s always a California or California T. Probably the most useable F car out there.

I'm 360 Canuck and LARRYH like this.
  10. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Thank you John. I’ve definitely looked looked at these and the 599. I’ve always been a fan of the 360/430 lines/curves, and thought the Cali, 599, etc....were looking close to a few other vehicles out there....corvette, f-type, etc.....
    Also noticed there are a TON of California’s out there (reasons)??

11. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I would say the reason why there are so many Californias on the market right now compared to say a 458 is because Ferrari sold lots more Californias than the 458 and the fact that the Portofino was just released which many (including myself) find to be a much nicer looking car and it is also a better driving car from what I read. Regardless of the reason, the California is a decent value when compared to other Ferraris.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #12 SCEye, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Yup.. this is why the F40 and 288GTO are not considered real Ferrari’s. Ditto the CS, Scuds, Speciale, and Pista.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hope to be in a similar situation in about 8 months. My heart is set on the 458 but my wallet may point me in the direction of a 430.

14. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    SeaNile a 430 is a hell of a car! If you buy it right, you can enjoy it for a few years and trade up to a 458 then. The key with any of these cars is getting a PPI done from a reputable source and not losing your common sense when it comes time for negotiation because you love the car.

15. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    430's are great cars. Sure they had the little quirks (exhaust manifolds) that you need to be aware of but they are fun to drive. As others said, if you can get into a 458 then do it, but if it's too much of a stretch than a 430 will satisfy the itch. Just do your homework and make a good informed purchase. Good luck!

308 milano likes this.
  16. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I have to retract what I said earlier regarding stretching your budget to get a 458. That is just a bad idea. Buy what you can comfortably afford and enjoy it without having financial worries. If you stretch for a newer model, you may find yourself regretting that decision later on. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing. I say get a super nice 430, preferably a spider and have a blast with it.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    In the 100-150K range I'd get a 360 manual or 599.
    A 360 manual is the only car that will hold its value or appreciate in this price range if thats an issue.
    If maintenance / depreciation is not a big concern then a 599 is an amazing bargain if "only" a GT will do.

For me ?
    Stretch and get a 430 Scud.
    Another car that is special even for a Ferrari and will hold its value very well. IMO the sleeper Ferrari of the moment with the additional exception of a 360 in stick.

A 458 is an AMAZING car but fairly common and a bit of depreciation left to go. Perhaps the most beautiful Ferrari of the last few decades.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

On the other hand if one "settles" for a car that doesnt really do it all then you have to live with it.

A good friend of mine talked about BMW M-3s till he was blue in the face. Absolute nutso.

Finally was in a financial position to buy one but test drove a Lexus just to see.
    Lexus dealer made him a great offer and he bought it. Made perfect financial sense and this guy was an accountant.

For the next few years kicked himself in the butt daily.

If a 430 checks all the boxes then go for it.
    Just never test drive a 458 ;)

SeaNile likes this.
  19. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not to derail the thread but I've already had a 360 manual about 7-8 years ago. Don't want to get the same thing again. The 430 is awesome, but seems like an improvement over what I already had. The 458 to me seems like the ultimate Fcar. Even if I get the perfect 430 I will always want the 458, its all a matter of the budget at that point, not my desires. Time will tell!

20. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    550 Maranello or a 430 with a stick.

21. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Thank you all! Great thoughts and advice as always.
    I actually drove a 430 today....lot of fun. Plenty of what I’d need and very nice looking!

THEN I drove a 2018, 911 C4S. Thrilling, modern, beautiful white with anthracite wheels.
    Mind is going in different directions now

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I liked the c4s I drove,was a 17 but should be no different, have you tried a gt3?

23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Hmm. 430 nearly fully depreciated. Market is soft now.Best 430 beside Scuderia/16M is in your middle budget. 430 is special. 911 is not. I had several. Midrange 430 F1 or high mike stick is doable and when you want, you can trade to 458.

Spider or coupe. CCB all bells and whistles low mile carbon fiber. There’s something to be said for having reserve for repair and unexpected items.

I love my 430. Will not sell. Ever. 911 is everyman sportscar. A Ferrari is special. Every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk